The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Deleting postings » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
The moderators have the power to delete any post they deem unfit by a Magic Café member, as they should.
But I also I believe that the poster of a message should have the ability to remove their own posts after the fact, no matter when the post was made.
Also, if a person so chooses, there should be the ability to delete their own account and remove all posts made by their account, the same way as Facebook.
No matter how well a person measures their words, there are posts that a member may wish to redact for whatever reason.
Just a recommendation.
All the best.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7379 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
You can use the "report this post" feature on your own posts, and ask them to be removed. I've done that before.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
Thanks for replying Donald.
There are many that I would like to delete for various reasons. In my case it would not be feasible I'm afraid.
I think it would be a helpful function for a member to have, not only for the Café members but the moderators as well.
All the best
M
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I used to administrate a forum where that option was available. The problem became clear when members decided to leave and deleted ALL of their posts, rendering responses by other members meaningless. Many otherwise valuable threads became incomprehensible.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
3983 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
There are a couple of features that are discussed from time to time (well, more than just a couple, but...).

- editing posts. The Café does not allow editing of posts after 30 minutes, or, if it has been replied to. I believe the reasoning is that if a post has been responded to, then the original is changed, it can be hard to make sense of things. I understand this, though I think sometimes it could be a good thing in order to make one's original post clearer. This ability could also be abused, as well, it seems.

- ignoring certain Café members (not being able to see their posts). I do remember this being asked quite some time ago, and if I remember right, the response was somewhat similar to the above - if you miss someone's posts, the topic can become unclear. At another board I am a member of, I have one person set to ignore. I do not see his posts. However, if I wish to see one of his posts in order to bring some clarity to the topic, I can click and view his posts, individually. I like this feature a lot, as the person I have on "ignore" is a troll. At the Café I have not found need of this feature. I cannot think of anyone here I would set to ignore, as trolls are dealt with pretty well here, unlike the site I mentioned above.
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
I understand the reasoning regarding the edit feature having a time limit, but I still think the power to delete or modify one's own post should reside with the member who posted it.
For whatever reason, be it privacy related, spelling, grammar, miscommunication or whatever.
I belong to another non magic site with at least as many or more than the Café and the lack of a time limit on being able to edit one's own post has not posed a problem in the many years I have belonged to it. As careful as one is on the web there are always windows for others to exploit and I think having full control over your own postings and personal information, current and/or retroactively is a must in today's internet.
All the best.
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
You relinquish the rights to your writings when you post them here.
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
Sorry,
But, no where is that stated in the Privacy and Posting policy page.
http://themagiccafe.com/privacy.html
Randwill
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Randwill
Quote:
On 2013-07-30 13:28, M for Magic wrote:
Sorry,
But, no where is that stated in the Privacy and Posting policy page.
http://themagiccafe.com/privacy.html

It is stated in the rules that Steve Brooks owns everything that is posted here and that he can use it in any way he sees fit. To my mind that is relinquishing the rights to your writings. Please note, I am not a lawyer.
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
There is a little blurb hidden at the bottom of the site:
"All content & postings Copyright © 2001- 2013 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved."

I don't believe there was an agreement option in the membership creation process, or if it was even mentioned.
Even so. Facebook has a similar disclaimer - But importantly - Facebook gives the member the option of deleting their account, prior posts and all.
DWRackley
View Profile
Inner circle
Chattanooga, TN
1909 Posts

Profile of DWRackley
From http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=39&0

"In addition, postings made on this website are considered to be contributions (donations) and given to this site free of charge, and as such automatically become the publishing property of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, The Magic Bakery, and/or Steve Brooks Magic. No kind of royalties, fees or other monetary considerations of any kind are promised, expressed or implied to authors of said postings. Members who make such postings do so of their own free will.

However, that is not to say you do not own the intellectual property rights to perhaps an original idea or concept contained within said post/article (which you of course reserve the right to market at some later date) you may be discussing here. Steve Brooks, The Magic Café, The Magic Bakery and/or Steve Brooks Magic simply owns that particular article being posted, and may freely use as we see fit any said article/post in any publishing projects (e.g, Blogs, Books, compilations, manuscripts, eBooks, etc) now or in the future !associated with The Magic Café, The Magic Bakery, Steve Brooks and/or Steve Brooks Magic be it on or off this website.

Please remember that the entire contents of this web site © Copyright 2001-2013 Steve Brooks. All rights reserved. This notice overrides any alleged copyright or license claimed by any person or entity absent a signed writing that complies with the requirements for transferring the entire copyright. This includes, but is not limited to, translation or other creation of derivative works, use in advertising or other publicity materials without prior written authorization. Commercial use, publicity or advertising use, or republication in any form will be treated as an infringement absent written authorization. In other words, no portion of this web site, including text and images, may be used in any manner without the express written consent of the site owner, Steve Brooks.

Having said all that, if you are really concerned about your material, it's probably not a good idea to post it on The Magic Café or anywhere else in cyberspace for that matter."
...what if I could read your mind?

Chattanooga's Premier Mentalist

Donatelli and Company at ChattanoogaPerformers.com

also on FaceBook
M for Magic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of M for Magic
Thank you very much for your response DWRackley.
But, my concern does not pertain to any magic material posted.
All the best
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4984 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
Quote:
On 2013-07-30 14:39, M for Magic wrote:
Thank you very much for your response DWRackley.
But, my concern does not pertain to any magic material posted.
All the best

If you post on the Café, it doesn't matter if it's pertaining to magic material or not. The above quotes by DW are exactly correct.

Let's use this topic as an example. Suppose you decided tonight that what you posted isn't really what you wanted to say so you went in and changed the wording which could change the meaning of the entire subject. What do we do about all the responses that were based on your opening post. Most of them wouldn't make any sense. Going further, suppose someone used the quote feature and responded. If you changed your post, their post and quote wouldn't have a basis.

That's why we ask that if you want to make any changes, you report the post and let us handle it. If we make any changes, we read all of the subsequent posts and either change or delete them. So by you as the member having the ability to modify a post, affects all the other posters and that isn't fair to them.

Bottom line is "think before you post" and make sure it's what you want to say before submitting. On the occassional post that really needs editing, report the post and let the staff do their job.
Where the magic begins
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I want to see the manager! » » Deleting postings » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL