The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » New Member from Iowa (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

AM103
View Profile
New user
Toddville, Iowa
7 Posts

Profile of AM103
Hi there,
My name is Aaron and I recently have gotten into magic.....again. I am 16 years old and a junior in high school. When I was younger I used to do magic tricks a lot, but school, music performances, and motocross sort of ended that. Now, I am interested 100% and am excited to learn tricks and preform them. My favorite thing about magic is that you almost always can walk up to a stranger, do a trick, and can leave them in a better mood. It's one of the few things like that and I think is pretty awesome. I am most interested in card tricks at the moment, and also because they are the easiest to do without having to buy expensive gimmicks and props from the one magic store within 2 hours of where I live. I own Hoyle's and Bicycle decks. I Only use my Hoyle's to practice because I honestly think they are horrible. I use my Bicycles when I preform tricks for people. I own the Ellusionist Shadow masters, Bicycle Svengali deck, Card Toons deck and about 12 other basic bicycle decks along with another 6 decks or so of cheap Hoyle's. I am not a complete beginner. I guess the best way to put it is...I have a lot of learning left to do. I look forward to talking to you all, as well as learning and sharing tricks. Thanks for letting me introduce myself!
Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly. - John F. Kennedy
gomerel
View Profile
Elite user
458 Posts

Profile of gomerel
Welcome, Aaron! I spent four years in Iowa long ago. Nicest folks I've met anywhere.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
626 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Welcome Aaron.
You will like it here. 99% of the people here (myself included) have much to learn. So don't be intimidated. You'll find even the famous magicians like Pop Haydn, Eric Jones, Dan Harlan who dine in the Café are very nice guys. I'm always amazed at how eager people here are to help each other out.
So Welcome.
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Welcome AM103,

You may want to consider some rubber band effects for variety.

Do practice with the "Good Cards" sometimes. It will make you want to practice more.

Nothing like touching a limp or clumpy deck of Cards to turn you off of practice.

An old deck of good cards is better than a new deck of bad cards.

-Mary Mowder
AM103
View Profile
New user
Toddville, Iowa
7 Posts

Profile of AM103
Thanks guys! I have looked in the members section trying to find people around my area with the same interest that could possibly help me out or meet up in person sometime to share tricks. I noticed many of the members in that list have 0-10 posts and seem to have abandoned their account. I will do my best to come on here frequently to learn tricks and not do the same. I have just gotten back home from a family gathering and must say that I was pretty impressed with how some of the tricks went. Also, many older relatives of mine seem to know a lot of different card tricks that they showed me that sparked conversation and led the night in a positive direction. However, It is late and I have to get up early to get things done. I haven't had much time to check out the site yet, but tomorrow I am planning to explore a little and look around. Thanks again for welcoming me, and I am very excited to learn new from you all!
204rags
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of 204rags
Hi Aaron ...................Welcome to the Magic Café..........my suggestion is that you invest in some books on magic like Tarbell's 8 Volumn course which will give you big picture of all the stuff you can get into in addition to only cards.
Glad you are here.
Magically Bill Ragsdale
AM103
View Profile
New user
Toddville, Iowa
7 Posts

Profile of AM103
Quote:
On 2013-08-02 23:37, Mary Mowder wrote:
Welcome AM103,

You may want to consider some rubber band effects for variety.

Do practice with the "Good Cards" sometimes. It will make you want to practice more.

Nothing like touching a limp or clumpy deck of Cards to turn you off of practice.

An old deck of good cards is better than a new deck of bad cards.

-Mary Mowder

Thanks! I must have missed your post last night since I posted shortly after yours. And I appreciate the tip. I am planning to go and pick up a 12 pack of bicycle cards (standard backs) from Sams Club today for 15 bucks. That way, It's cheaper than the cheap decks, better cards, and I can make a marked deck out of them, and if I goof up when I'm going through them, I set them aside and use it for spares and extras for the tricks where you actually do destroy a card and that kind of stuff. Plus 15 bucks for 12 decks no matter what brand isn't a bad deal!
Aaron
Quote:
On 2013-08-03 10:10, 204rags wrote:
Hi Aaron ...................Welcome to the Magic Café..........my suggestion is that you invest in some books on magic like Tarbell's 8 Volumn course which will give you big picture of all the stuff you can get into in addition to only cards.
Glad you are here.
Magically Bill Ragsdale

Hi Bill,
I checked the local library and they have about 3 magic books that appear to be written for a child and after looking through them, it's too obvious for most of the age group I'd be going for. (13+) Any idea where to buy that book? I also read through a forum on here of the best books you should own however, not many stores in my area sell magic books. I could buy them at the one magic store in my area, only his prices are jacked sky high because he is aware that there is no competition. Thanks again for welcoming me to the Café!
Aaron
Mary Mowder
View Profile
Inner circle
Sacramento / Elk Grove, CA
3649 Posts

Profile of Mary Mowder
Many libraries have an extended link system that gives you access to millions of books so don't just rely on your local Libraries shelves.

They don't have access to every book, but more than you might think.

Also, while some books do have some weak tricks sometimes an effect that seems totally simple can play better than it reads with the right presentation.

-Mary Mowder
AM103
View Profile
New user
Toddville, Iowa
7 Posts

Profile of AM103
Quote:
On 2013-08-03 15:54, Mary Mowder wrote:
Many libraries have an extended link system that gives you access to millions of books so don't just rely on your local Libraries shelves.

They don't have access to every book, but more than you might think.

Also, while some books do have some weak tricks sometimes an effect that seems totally simple can play better than it reads with the right presentation.

-Mary Mowder

Okay, I will definitely look into that. Any book titles that are especially good for rubber band tricks?
Thanks, Aaron
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Our new arrivals » » New Member from Iowa (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL