The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Which is the better 'Pencil Thru Bill' Effect? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2279 Posts

Profile of Logan
Hi, name's Logan, I was looking for an opinion (even possibly a review) on any 'Pencil Thru Bill' effect. I am thinking of getting one but not sure which.

I'm thinking of getting 'Dough!', by Jay Sankey, where a BORROWED bill AND pencil can be used. The pencil goes thru the bill -bill comes out unscratched, the usual drill.

OR

Is 'Misled' better? It's the one performed by David Copperfield.

Hope you all can help me out!

Thanx a bunch you guys!

Sincerely,
Logan Smile
You've been hit by, you've been struck by, a smooth criminal.

Singapore's Hairiest Corporate Comedy Magician!
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I'd get the pen instead. Same effect examinable too. There's a few in the market, such as the Perfect Pen, Wonder-pen-atration, voodoo pen. They are great for penatration effects. Smile
Bernard Sim
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2279 Posts

Profile of Logan
Thanx Bernard! But the pen effects are a little too expensive for an effect so small, if u know what I mean.

Ok, maybe I should restructure my question...

Is 'Dough!' a good effect or not? What are it's pros and cons? Is it worth buying?

Thanx! Smile

Leigh
View Profile
New user
Ex-Blighty, now Canada
78 Posts

Profile of Leigh
There is a very good one in Kaufman's "Five Times Five" - the Japanese one. The pencil (or pen) and bill are borrowed and it can be done completely impromptu. Problem is, you'll have to buy (or borrow) the book.
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
My favorite is still Dave Harkey's which is completely impromptu and extremely effective not to mention relatively easy to do.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Jimmy Lee
View Profile
Special user
Singapore
682 Posts

Profile of Jimmy Lee
You can do a pencil or pen thru bill without any gimmicked pen or pencil. Smile
Magically Yours,

Jimmy...
a guy from a tropical island in South East Asia
..oops...where did he disappeared to????
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Hence my recommendation of the Harkey effect.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB StageCraft
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2279 Posts

Profile of Logan
Hmmm, this Harkey effect is really getting to me. Do you suppose that 'Dough!' utilizes the same principle of the Harkey effet?

Are they hard? Smile

Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5348 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Logan, The effect of punching a pen or pencil (or anything) through a paper bill and then restoring the bill is a strong close-up effect in the right hands. I was amused at your not wanting to spend a few dollars on the “Rolls Royce” of “Pens through Anything” as Bernard suggested, because you believe that the “pen effects are a little too expensive for an effect so small”.

So you would rather spend $10.00 for a 2 page illustrated manuscript (with nice glossy covers) that is simply one trick from the “100% Sankey” book ($40.00 IF you can find it!). I’ll come back to this in a minute.

There is a rather well made, innocent looking, black plastic, BIC Pen Through Anything being sold for $10.00! Hummmmmm, same price as the Sankey manuscript. Sure you can spend $50.00 for the best in the market but you simply don’t need it to perform the effect.

Review time: Dough – a nice effect. Published in Kaufman’s 1990 book “100% Sankey” (page 43). It requires a small size (no. 653) pad of “Post-Its”. A Post-It is used to cover the necessary “move” in the effect. The effect is rather straight forward, stick a small Post-it on the center of a borrowed bill, fold the bill and Post-It in half, punch a pencil through the bill and Post-It, unfold the bill, etc, and find a hole through the Post-It but not through the bill!

There is a “move” and one small angle problem that is well covered by the handling. Not quite impromptu as you need to be carrying the necessary Post-It pad. However if you were in an office and they happened to be lying around, then you have a miracle with everything borrowed. This is a good handling to have in your repertory. However, I recommend that you buy the book for $40.00 and get 29 Sankey effects rather than just buy the one.

By the way, this book also has his “#*@!” in it! That is the card in paperclip effect that is also being sold as a separate manuscript and also as a video! Don’t need either, buy the book!

“Misled”: I think this was originally a Tim Wenk effect. It got a lot of play about 15 or more years ago when David Copperfield did it on one of his specials. In fact David got more credit for the 'pencil trick' than going over the Niagara Falls.

The effect is that you shove a borrowed pencil through the center of a bill. The bill is not covered in any way. The Next you yank the pencil out of the bill and show that the bill is completely unharmed. No holes, rips, no errors. There is a clever gimmick. A VERY clever gimmick. There really is NO move in this effect and the gimmick is fairly invisible. It costs about $15.00 USD.

I believe that this effect looks much more open than does “Dough”. Of the two, I personally like Misled better than Dough.

However, for a gimmicked version of a “something” through a bill, I think that you could consider the “Magic Penetration Pen” ($10.00 USD). The effect is that a pen is thrust through the center of a borrowed dollar bill. It is shown to be clearly piercing the bill. The pen is removed and the bill is returned, unharmed, to its owner! The most affordable pen through anything on the market! This is good and straightforward magic.

Leigh recommended the Kaufman “Five times Five” (Japan) book as having a pen through bill effect. That effect is called “Cocktail Bill Penetration”. A bill is folded around a small cocktail napkin. The bill is to the outside of the napkin. A pen is thrust through the center of the napkin/bill and then all is opened to show that the bill has no hole while the napkin does. A nice effect that can be done anywhere and anytime. The napkin could be substituted for by using a piece of torn newspaper (as I have performed it). This is very much worth knowing. I actually like this version a little better than “Dough”.

Finally, Karl Fulves published a nice version in his “Self-Working Coin Magic” called “Puncture” (page 180). A bill is folded in half (actually less than half as it “steps” down a little, i.e., one edge of the bill is higher than the other edge) inside a piece of paper (which is also steps down). A pencil is pushed right through the bill and paper. The pencil clearly is in between the steps of the bill. It is openly shown on all sides, the pencil is seen to be inside bthe fold of both the bill and the paper and clearly penetrating the bundle. Pencil is removed, the bill and paper opened and the bill is restored. The paper has a hole in it!

There is a “set-up” but it can be done in a second. I actually have a bill set and ready for this in my wallet. This can appear to be totally impromptu.

Which is best? That really depends on you and your performance style. If you approach this effect (which ever method you use) as a “little effect” then the results will be small. If you approach it as the miracle that it can be, then it will be a miracle for the spectators. That part is up to you.

Me? I’d spend the money and buy the Books recommended (but not the individual manuscript from the book). Misled is a worthy gimmick as is the pen through anything, neither is expensive, but both are essentially one trick gimmicks when all is said and done. Books!

As an afterthought for anyone who has managed to read this far! If you know the “Misled” gimmick then you will know what I am talking about when I tell you that I make my own “Misled” with playing cards! Yes, A bit of card a bit of wax and a playing card and I get the Misled effect using a playing card folded in half, lengthways. It works nicely and is very visual even in a stand-up venue! Try it!

I hope some of this answers your question!
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Jeff
View Profile
Inner circle
Orlando, FL
1240 Posts

Profile of Jeff
"Dough" by Jay Sankey is Harkey's setup with a little something extra for cover.

Misled is probably the most visual penatration that uses a easily removable gimmick but has some angle problems if you are surrounded.

The one in Kaufman's Five times Five called "Cocktail Bill Penetration" by Ken Kuroki. I really like this one as a impromtu version.

lastly, I use my own version which is very visual but does require a switch.

If you are going to purchase just one, go with Misled.

Jeff
Available for order now:
http://www.thecardwarptour.com

See new, used, and collectable magic and books for sale at:
http://www.jeffpiercemagic.com
Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
Wow mumblepeas, what a great post! I really enjoyed it. Will refer to my 5x5 now Smile
Bernard Sim
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2279 Posts

Profile of Logan
A great big thank you to Mumblepeas and Jeff! Smile

It was very much appreciated, all the info given! Looks like I'll take Misled!

It seems to be the most logical now that i knw its potential, I thought that the pencil at hand was a gimmicked one - now that I know that it is NOT...I think my mind is made up. Another reason why i prefer pencil penetrations is that spectators now are smart...they know that pens can be gaffs...they know that very well, but a normal wooden pencil...ah, that is really unexpected, right? I mean, think about it, they'll be like this Smile especially if it was THEIR own pencil!

By the way, with Misled, does it HAVE to be a wooden pencil of a certain shape or length? Or can it be like a mechanical pencil or a pencil that is entirely round and not 'hexagonal'?

Thanx alot guys! Smile

Kaliix
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1566 Posts

Profile of Kaliix
You have gotten some good advice already. To answer your question about Misled, the gimmick is designed to work with a standard wooden yellow pencil. You really can't use it with anything other than that.

My own take on this would be that Misled is a good trick. The Pen thru bill effects though are as good and some are significantly better. The $10 pen that Mumblepeas referred to is good. And for $10 you can't really go wrong. I would however, suggest you go with Doug Edwards Wonder Pen-a-tration. Doug, I believe is the originator of this particular type of penatration effect and his pen is made of the common everyday Bic variety.

His version is better than the Perfect Pen in that there is a handling that can be done with his particular pen that is head and shoulders above any other Pen/Pencil thru bill penetration out there. His pen combined with the proper handling is perhaps the best trick I do. It looks very real and is the perfect illusion.

Let me know if you have any questions and if you go with the pen solution, I can help you with the handling.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance; it is the illusion of knowledge.
~Daniel J. Boorstin
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2279 Posts

Profile of Logan
Hiya Kaliix!

Thank you VERY much for that little piece of info about Misled, as I'm in Asia and we dont have the standard type yellow pencil (i know it sounds weird), ours are like blue and stuff. Can it work with that?

If it can't, then maybe I'll just go along with Wonder Pen-a-tration, I've heard some mighty good things about it and I'm sure it'll be good, so I'm saving up for that I suppose if Misled only works with yellow pencils...although I feel that the colour of the pencil is quite irrelivant...I wouldnt know, maybe its better for covering
:hmmm:

Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6583 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Logan,

Mislead ONLY works with a yellow, hex-shaped pencil. There IS a gimmick involved, but the pencil is ordinary--however, the gimmick ONLY works with this type of pencil, or it will be blatantly, glaringly obvious to everyone--there simply won't be an effect!

Get the Edward's pen.

Scott
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6322 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
You can spray paint the Misled gimmick to match whatever color pencil you use.
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2279 Posts

Profile of Logan
Hmmmm...interesting, i thought Misled was quite versatile.

But you can spray paint it huh? That's a thought for me to chew on...

A question for those who have the Wonder Pen-a-tration...does it have a 'melting' effect like Misled does? I'm trying to compare the two you see...

Right now I'm sorta pro-Misled AND Wonder Pen-a-tration...although the costs may differ (Wonder Pen-a-tration costs twice that of Misled).

Thanx!

Logan

Bernard Sim
View Profile
Inner circle
Singapore
1095 Posts

Profile of Bernard Sim
I don't think the Wonder Pen-a-tration is bale to do the melting effect since the gimmick is different. I think the pen comes with a extra dime and penny trick that enables you to do the Chop Suey effect.
Bernard Sim
Logan
View Profile
Inner circle
2279 Posts

Profile of Logan
Yeah, so I've heard.....hmmm, in that case I think Misled is better...i just gotta work on it a little more to make it suit my style and accomodations here.

Anyway, thank you guys so much for taking the time (especially you Mumblepeas!) and writing a post to my little query.

Resect to you all!

Sincerely,
Logan

Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
I will still go with the Harkey version since it requires NO cover, and only a pen or pencil and the bill. For impromptu, it's tops as there is nothing else needed and it can all be borrowed.
PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
AB StageCraft
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Which is the better 'Pencil Thru Bill' Effect? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.22 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL