The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The issue of over exposed tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cubby199
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Cubby199
I'm completely new to magic and illusions. I've always dreamed of making my own trick (difficult as I don't enjoy mentalism tricks). However I am always on the lookout in libraries and online for cool new illusions that don't cost too much to make. However it frustrates me sometimes when a really beautiful trick is exposed on YouTube. Take the zombie ball trick; every new magician can bring new life to this trick and make it look beautiful. However people who have seen how it has been done will skimpily pass it off. I find myself astounded by every new application that trick brings. However in a stage magic setting what happens when you use a trick people might already know? This would be great to know.

Also how does one find the tricks cheep yet well of the beaten path? Personally I prefer tricks that actually require skill (I'd feel like I was cheating the audience with the "vanishing" candle trick). Also in my quest to make my own tricks where should I start? Any books?

Thanks
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.
-The Prestige (my favorite movie)
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
I think you have to realize that most of the magic expose YouTube videos are not being viewed by the whole world, but mostly by those of us who have a more than casual interest in magic. The Coloring Book prop is probably one the best known props by the general public, yet you still see some of the best kids' entertainers using it with great success. Their presentation along with some additional magical elements make their routine a crowd favorite regardless of how many people in the audience know how it works.

As far as tricks like the Zombie, there are moves you can make that can impress and even puzzle those who "know how it's done." Or instead of using the typical zombie ball, there are other props such as eyeballs, skulls, etc. that can give a different look/routine to the trick. Or you can go with other levitation tricks that use different gimmicks than the Zombie.

Do some searching under the Grand Illusion forum on TMC and you should find some great suggestions for building inexpensive illusions.
55Hudson
View Profile
Special user
Minneapolis
984 Posts

Profile of 55Hudson
Look for old, out of print, books or periodicals. There you will find many very good trick that, with a little updating, will be effective entertainment.

Hudson
Cubby199
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Cubby199
Quote:
On 2013-08-04 13:30, Robin4Kids wrote:
I think you have to realize that most of the magic expose YouTube videos are not being viewed by the whole world, but mostly by those of us who have a more than casual interest in magic. The Coloring Book prop is probably one the best known props by the general public, yet you still see some of the best kids' entertainers using it with great success. Their presentation along with some additional magical elements make their routine a crowd favorite regardless of how many people in the audience know how it works.

As far as tricks like the Zombie, there are moves you can make that can impress and even puzzle those who "know how it's done." Or instead of using the typical zombie ball, there are other props such as eyeballs, skulls, etc. that can give a different look/routine to the trick. Or you can go with other levitation tricks that use different gimmicks than the Zombie.

Do some searching under the Grand Illusion forum on TMC and you should find some great suggestions for building inexpensive illusions.

Your totally right that is very assuring.... Just out of curiosity what's the worst that has happened during stage magic when someone knows the secret?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
To my knowledge, no one has ever died! Having people in the audience that know how a trick is done shouldn't be looked at as a problem. It's the occasional smart ass that shouts it out that is aggravating. A good performer can handle that by either ignoring it or with a clever comeback. Most people that are into magic enough to be knowledgeable of the workings of a trick are not going to reveal it as a member of the audience... Would you? But then there are always those SAs that make your job a little more difficult. But if it was easy, everybody would be a magician!
Magic Pierre
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of Magic Pierre
I know how a few tricks are done. Like the cups and balls. But, when I see video of Ricky Jay or Dai Vernon or Gazzo doing it, I'm blown away. It's like a lot of other things. If you know how a guitar is played, you will still admire Clapton for his skill.
RobertlewisIR
View Profile
Veteran user
Colorado
367 Posts

Profile of RobertlewisIR
I have to agree with the above. Yeah, we like when secrets are maintained--usually. But let's be brutally honest. Secrecy is the last resort of the bad magician. A good entertainer can entertain with a trick everyone knows... and a master can fool them with a trick they already know. It's about showmanship, not secrets. That doesn't mean I think all secrets should be exposed, but it does mean that I have more important things to spend my time worrying about.

Remember also that even if someone sees how a trick is done, unless they're another magician, they will very likely forget the mechanics of it rapidly, so the next entertainer to do the same thing won't even be inconvenienced in the slightest.

An example: consider the floating ball in the Penn & Teller show. Penn starts the piece by shouting out how Teller will do the trick. Teller then does the trick so well that most people don't believe Penn and those of us who do are still mystified by the beauty and elegance of Teller's execution.
~Bob

----------

Last night, I dreamed I ate the world's largest marshmallow. When I woke up, the pillow was gone.
Cubby199
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Cubby199
I was looking for that video yet I couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

Off topic I found a cool video while looking for it. Can I use rings in my card manipulation act like he does? Or is it copyrighted? It's a genius act.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vlSMl0Q4LEw&feature=related
Bulla
View Profile
Special user
Honolulu, HI
674 Posts

Profile of Bulla
Its not copyrighted but you shouldn't copy another person's act. Put some thought into it and make it unique to yourself. You're limited only to your imagination. Be creative and you'll be surprised with what you come up with.
Cubby199
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Cubby199
But rings with card manipulations have SOOO many applications without copying his
ShirtlessKirk
View Profile
Loyal user
236 Posts

Profile of ShirtlessKirk
Quote:
On 2013-08-10 00:19, Cubby199 wrote:
I was looking for that video yet I couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

Off topic I found a cool video while looking for it. Can I use rings in my card manipulation act like he does? Or is it copyrighted? It's a genius act.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vlSMl0Q4LEw&feature=related

Yes you could but the judges (if they are aware of Jason Latimer's act) likely won't give you high marks. That bit is very much associated with his act now.
Herr Brian Tabor
View Profile
Special user
Oklahoma City
729 Posts

Profile of Herr Brian Tabor
It's always good to have your own style and twist on things. But honestly, don't worry too much about over exposure. Laymen don't sit on youtube all day watching how magic is done, no more than you sit and watch how ballroom dancing or underwater basket weaving is done. There are hundreds of styles of ballerina shoes on the market, can you name one brand or style? Unless you're a ballerina, probably not. Even though they are all over the internet, you don't pay attention to them because you're not one. See my point?

Just worry more on perfecting your presentations and skill. Laymen don't bother learning these things, and even if they find out how something's done they forget rather quickly.
vinh.giang
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
132 Posts

Profile of vinh.giang
Don't stress too much over tricks that are exposed because most of the people looking them up are magicians or beginners who are aspiring magicians. Those who watch tutorials without the intention of performing the magic will forget how the trick is done. Our brains at made in a way that we only retain information that is important to us, focus on doing the best performance you can. What you have to keep in mind is people (most people) actually want to be entertained so if you are a good performer they will cheer you on Smile

Good luck mate Smile I hope that helps!
"Rather a mind opened by wonder, than one closed by belief."

www.vinhgiang.com.au
www.facebook.com/askvinh
www.twitter.com/askvinh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » The issue of over exposed tricks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL