The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I finally broke down and did it. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
Quote:
Clearly you have no ida how my business runs. But if it makes you feel better to think you do then go for it.

Having a billion people pre disposed to being magic lovers translates into exactly zero dollars for me. You may be right in general but in this specific case you are just wrong.

I know everyone flys the social media flag rreally high but for us it is a way to simply be in tough AFTER.

Personally, I have referred business to other magicians because I am a close up magician and not a stage or parlor magician. Building relationships with other magicians can be good for your business in that you can refer them business and they can do the same for you. I have also referred business to people who are balloon twisters as I personally don't have that skill and sometimes I am hired for gigs where in addition to myself, the customer would also like a balloon twister.

But if you want to cheat yourself out of additional business by not building relationships with other magicians, then, it's all you Danny. Not to mention having more likes on your Facebook page also helps to build social proof which in turn helps in marketing your Facebook page and developing more contacts. Facebook and social media were also key in bringing democratic revolutions to the Arab world a year or two back. So, it's a powerful tool for networking, which networking is key in business.
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"Clearly you have no ida how my business runs. But if it makes you feel better to think you do then go for it. "

Danny, run your business any way you want. Why would I care. I've been an entrepreneur for 20 years. Full time since August of 2000. I've started 4 businesses in that time and consulted with hundreds of companies over the years, everything from sole proprietorships to large public companies.

But you clearly know it all. Good luck.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Btw, here are a few of my awards:

One of the 50 Most Influential People in Digital Marketing: Media Magazine
One of the 100 people to know in B2B Marketing: B2B Magazine
50 Marketers over 50 you should Know: CMO Magazine (2013)
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-08-06 07:50, Slide wrote:
"No I don't want just a huge random number of like me so I like you."

You clearly don't know how this stuff works.

When someone "likes" your page, that notification is sent out on THEIR facebook page. And everytime they "like" one of your posts, it goes out to their followers. Having a lot of people in your industry like your page means that you now have an opportunity to get in front of not only the people who liked YOUR page, but everyone who liked the pages of the people who liked yours. If those folks are magicians, then the people following them are probably pre-disposed to liking your magic. It is a built in audience of magic lovers.

Ah, well. Enough free advice. Most people pay me for this stuff. Smile

LOL
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-08-06 11:13, Slide wrote:
"Clearly you have no ida how my business runs. But if it makes you feel better to think you do then go for it. "

Danny, run your business any way you want. Why would I care. I've been an entrepreneur for 20 years. Full time since August of 2000. I've started 4 businesses in that time and consulted with hundreds of companies over the years, everything from sole proprietorships to large public companies.

But you clearly know it all. Good luck.

Clearly, then, your experience must be universal.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
If you mean do I work with companies around the world, my current clients include companies from Holland, the UK, South Africa, Poland, Israel, Italy, Sweden, Canada, and a few other countries. So, yeah, my knowledge is pretty universal. I was one of the people who started the internet advertising industry starting in 1997.

The two things I've learned that are pretty universal: all sole proprietors think their business is unique(they're not). And the biggest obstacle to small business is the owners ego.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Once you play the "If you don't agree with me, you must not understand" card, you're not allowed to bring up ego.

Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
I'm sorry when did I say that?

I never said if you don't agree with me you don't understand.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-08-06 07:50, Slide wrote:
You clearly don't know how this stuff works.

I was referring to this comment. Sorry if it's an unfair paraphrase. That said, there are perfectly good, non-ignorant reasons to decline a "Like" exchange on Facebook. Such as:

1) I have all the business I need, and
2) It's an endorsement of sorts, and I've never seen you work.

Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
And how is that saying if you disagree with me , you don't understand.

Danny, by his own admission, doesn't understand how social media works. I have expert domain experience. That is the difference.

If you take your car to a mechanic and say, I think it is the muffler, and the mechanic says, no it is your carburetor, you don't say: if you don't agree with me, you don't understand.

jesus, what a weird group you guys are. You'll argue anything.
Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"1) I have all the business I need, and
2) It's an endorsement of sorts, and I've never seen you work."

hahaha....

god,

you so missed the point.

:)

Shall we argue contract law? I don't know anything about it but, according to your reason, my opinion is just as valid as yours, because domain expertise and specialized knowledge means nothing.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Danny said that he doesn't want a huge random number of 'like exchanges.'. How does that suggest that he doesn't understand them?

Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Simple: he doesn't understand the REASON behind doing that, how it can grow his business and make him money. He is a newbie. I was trying to explain to him why it is important without going into a consulting agreement. Just as you advise someone on Law matters. Do you think your clients know as much about the law as you? If someone goes against your advice because they don't understand what they are doing, do you help them? or just tell them, well your opinion is as good as mine.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-08-06 14:01, Slide wrote:
And how is that saying if you disagree with me , you don't understand.

Danny, by his own admission, doesn't understand how social media works. I have expert domain experience. That is the difference.

If you take your car to a mechanic and say, I think it is the muffler, and the mechanic says, no it is your carburetor, you don't say: if you don't agree with me, you don't understand.

jesus, what a weird group you guys are. You'll argue anything.

You'll have to take a number around here to get into the "non-lawyer arguing law," game, but I don't think it's an apt analogy. I'm not suggesting that I know more about building business through social media than you do. I'm suggesting that there are considerations other than building business.

Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"I'm suggesting that there are considerations other than building business."

Like what for instance?

Danny said he put it up because his audience kept asking. How is that not doing something to build your business?
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-08-06 14:10, Slide wrote:
Simple: he doesn't understand the REASON behind doing that, how it can grow his business and make him money.

We are inferring different things from his comment, then. I tale him to understand the reason, but not want to play along.

LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-08-06 14:15, Slide wrote:
"I'm suggesting that there are considerations other than building business."

Like what for instance?

Danny said he put it up because his audience kept asking. How is that not doing something to build your business?

Without getting too deeply into the semantics of "build," I think there's a distinction between keeping existing customers happy and actively seeking out new ones.

One "other consideration" might be credibility. I wouldn't want a party of people who like my work to go see a magician whose show was lousy because they found out about him through my Facebook page.

Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
Let me tell you something: if you start a social media page you are either helping grow your business or you are helping shrink your business. There is no middle ground.

Likes, followers on twitter: this is the social currency today. I and many people don't take anyone seriously who has a facebook fan page with few followers. Likes are the currency, like it or not.

If you do decide to put a fan page together, you can actually HURT your business if you don't take it seriously. People today DO look at likes and followers to see if someone is real or not. Popular or not.

Like it or not.

It is like using an AOL email address. You can do it, but no one will take you seriously.
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1192 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
And yet somehow I'm sure there are many people who are very successful in their chosen fields regardless of whether you or numerous others who share your views take them seriously it not.

Slide
View Profile
Special user
533 Posts

Profile of Slide
"One "other consideration" might be credibility. I wouldn't want a party of people who like my work to go see a magician whose show was lousy because they found out about him through my Facebook page."

again, this shows your lack of understanding of the medium.

This is not about you agreeing with me or not: I don't know how to be any clearer: you don't understand the technology or how to use it.

Here is a better way to use this time: instead of arguing with me, you could pick my brains on how to market yourself better.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » I finally broke down and did it. (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9~10 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL