We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tarot Cards (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Billy Andrew
View Profile
New user
Scotland U.K.
55 Posts

Profile of Billy Andrew
I've spent ages working on sleights with cards and now I'd like to perform something with Tarot cards I find the authentic ones are an unfamiliar size.

What size cards do you guys use? If it's the regular size do you restrict your card management to suit the cards?

or do I just need to develop callouses on different parts of my hand?

Billy
A journey of one thousand miles starts with the first step
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
You can get Tarot cards in various sizes, from the larger standard ones all the way down to tiny ones that are about an inch long.
There is a Rider-Waite deck that is the same size a bridge-sized cards.
It's unlikely that there is any in poker size because of the nature of the artwork.

But a word of caution: I wouldn't recommend doing card sleights or card tricks with a Tarot deck; it takes away considerably from the fascination audiences have with the Tarot deck.

There are many routines that can be done with a Tarot deck, without getting into standard card tricks that are done with a Tarot deck.

Check out my Bizarre Bazaar column, for "Fate", on the e-zine Visions (www.online-visions.com); also, my current lecture -- Bizarre Magic -- has a couple of routines using Tarot cards, including the Witch of Glastonbury, which won an IBM originality award in 1999.

cheers,
Peter Marucci
showtimecol@aol.com
Thoughtreader
View Profile
Inner circle
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
1565 Posts

Profile of Thoughtreader
Quote:
On 2002-05-27 07:37, Billy Andrew wrote:
I've spent ages working on sleights with cards and now I'd like to perform something with Tarot cards I find the authentic ones are an unfamiliar size.

What size cards do you guys use? If it's the regular size do you restrict your card management to suit the cards?

or do I just need to develop callouses on different parts of my hand?

Billy

Read up in "Mind, Myth and Magic", "The Book of Thot" and "Invocation" where you will find some very kewl Tarot Card effects that do not require any tricky manipulation and it won't matter what size you use. However, treat the cards properly (as a psychic would) or you will ruin the illusion for some. The more authentic you create the scenario the stronger your presentation will be.

PSIncerely Yours,
Paul Alberstat
Canada's Leading Mentalist
http://www.mindguy.com
AB StageCraft
http://www.mindguy.com/store
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4391 Posts

Profile of Paul
That should be"The Book of Thoth" by Stephen Minch.My favourite effect in there was "The Towering Prediction"

Paul.
Marduke Kurios
View Profile
Veteran user
Vancouver, Canada
316 Posts

Profile of Marduke Kurios
Hi Billy,

I agree with Peter. Regular card manipulations aren't neccessary with the Tarot. We don't do tricks with them. As an oracle they are magical by themselves. The odd double lift or control can be used, but handle them a bit 'clumsy' and with reverence. The first sign of adept manipulation tips the audience and blows the effect. Mood is everything with the Tarot.

Many different sizes can be found, including close to poker-size. I sometimes carry a miniature Rider-Waite deck around, but normally use a near poker-size Spanish Tarot deck.
I've been using my cards to do an old Stars of Magic trick that's called Synchronicity III. It absolutely astounds people without having the feel of a 'trick'. I've been doing it for about 10 years as well as a simple rising Tarot ala Burger. These make the perfect pair of mindmessers.

Keith Hart of Black Hart Artefacts in the UK sells an amazing book called The Big Black Book. He has created some incredible effects with Tarot, Voodoo, Runes etc. This book as well as the others mentioned are perfect for any aspiring Tarot reader. I would also recommend any book on regular card magic. Many effects can be adopted to use with Tarot.

Good luck.
Live well,
Laugh often,
Love always.

To the world you might be one person, but to one person you just might be the world.

Without Prejudice, All Rights Reserved.
Philemon Vanderbeck
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
4154 Posts

Profile of Philemon Vanderbeck
I used to use the Hanson-Roberts Tarot deck for readings Fairs all the time because it was much smaller than the 'standard' Tarot decks. Since it was closer to a regular deck in size, it was much easier for querents to shuffle. However, the artwork tends to be somewhat 'whimsical' in nature, so it might not be suited for most routines of a truly bizarre nature.

Peter mentioned there's a bridge-sized version of the Rider-Waite-Smith deck which is excellent for handling. Plus there's a smaller version of the notorious Crowley-Harris "Thoth" deck that might be usable.
Professor Philemon Vanderbeck
That Creepy Magician
"I use my sixth sense to create the illusion of possessing the other five."
Billy Andrew
View Profile
New user
Scotland U.K.
55 Posts

Profile of Billy Andrew
Thank you all for your words of advice. This has been the most useful thread I have posted because it's clear to me that I'm not interested in using tarot cards after all. They just don't fit my sceptical persona.

Well I guess it just leaves all those bizarre routines for the rest of you.

Many thanks
Billy
A journey of one thousand miles starts with the first step
brownbomber
View Profile
Regular user
Edinburgh
156 Posts

Profile of brownbomber
Billy, don´t be put off Tarot cards with your scepticism. Nobody could be more sceptical than me and I use them all the time. In your spiel you can use Jungian psychology as an explanation - stuff about unconscious reflections etc., which actually isn´t far from the truth. They are excellent for many mentalism effects because they have so much more charisma than standard playing cards and the like.

bb Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Tarot Cards (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL