The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » The price of magic apps . . . (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Greg Rostami
View Profile
V.I.P.
Skynet will become self-aware in
2747 Posts

Profile of Greg Rostami
Hello friends,

As an app developer, I'm curious about your thoughts regarding the price of magic apps.
Along with many other prominent app developers, I believe that magic apps should be priced like any other magic prop.

The app market should be like any other market in the World.

If you want it, you buy it.

Over 90% of app developers LOSE money (they don't even break even).

I've been making apps for four years. I've made 18 apps for both platforms.
I personally know an app developers that's a multi millionaire who admits he got lucky.
I also know MANY app developers with amazing FREE apps that might be downloaded once a week (see 90% from above)!

In the small magic market, I'm happy to see a trend with ALL magic app developers of expensive quality apps.

The app market is currently immature . . . with THOUSANDS of developers flocking to it like the gold rush.

Like the "gold rush", all of these developers dream of their app going "VIRAL" (that's why they price them at $0 or $0.99).

As this market matures, like the "gold rush", very few will be holding the gold, while many others will be broke.
Only then will the REAL price of these goods find an equilibrium.

I would love to hear your insight regarding this matter.

thank you for your time,
Greg Rostami
colinj
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of colinj
I paid $49.95 for TeleFoto and am very happy with the purchase. That is easily the most expensive app that I have every downloaded and I am not actually sure what it was that made me decide to hit the purchase button but I am glad that I did. Given how much I enjoy telefoto I would be willing to spend that much again for one of your if it truly interested me but I am not sure how much more than that I would be willing to pay with out seeing an in-person demo.

The nice thing about a more expensive app is it is likely to stay a bit more exclusive to those that are actually going to use it, though I guess that isn't get for the designer. I imagine that it is less likely that a magic app is going to go viral in comparison to a game because you are dealing with a niche market for the most part. I am happy to pay for quality but having never designed an app I have no idea what kind of numbers you have to move to make it worth your time. I also bought itelekinect which I believe was 99 cents and if I was recommending an app to a friend I would strongly recommend spending the $50 on telefoto over a buck on itelekinect. Part of it is just personal preference and style but I feel that I have already got my moneys worth from the more expensive app and seldom use the one dollar one.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
The thing to remember is you are not buying an App, you are buying a routine that makes it seem like you can read minds. In my opinión Tele-Foto is so adaptable, I have albums of potos, Esp symbols, Playing cards, Holiday destinations etc etc. Yet those who moan about the Price will willingly pay a lot more for a peek wallet or a clipboard. I know which one I prefer !
By failing to prepare, we are preparing to fail.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3729 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I'm 50/50 on it, one of the best apps I have ever bought was iforce and it cost pennies. Not sure what I paid for magicsms but that became obsolete very quickly when iOS was updated. I paid $30 for telefoto and think it is worth every penny. I'd love ipredict pro but I just can't justify $99. Personally I would never use a magic app in a stage show, I know DC does to very good effect but it just doesn't suit me so iPhone magic tends to be used for more casual performances.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Harpacrown is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk
Harpacrown Too is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=harpacrown-too
Ophiuchus is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=ophiuchus
Totally Free Will is available from
http://www.harpacrown.co.uk/?product=totally-free-will
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1149 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
I thought iPredict Pro was expensive but I'm still glad I have it. I've only recorded 15 customizable "outs" but it comes bundled with some effects I use all the time (thank god). Anything priced at a premium should be instantly usable and work smoothly.

Greg, for what its worth I think you are FAR AND ABOVE the best app producer out there. I have no qualms admitting that I will most likely purchase anything you put out - and I can't say that about any app developer LET ALONE any magician/magic company. You've just knocked it out of the park everytime.

I should say though, I REALLY do appreciate when you allow a reduced price at the beginning of each app release. It does reward customers like me who feel a sense of loyalty tied to your brand, and will purchase, immediately without even waiting for reviews. Until that experience fails me, I'm happy paying a premium for your apps. I'd honestly be heartbroken if they were .99 and any spectator could buy them.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
My only fear is possibly losing the apps when you change phones. I know that apps are supposedly transferable - that is, as long as you stay on the same platform. Yet I have read too many reports of this not always working as it should. Of course if you move to another platform, like iPhone to Android or Windows Phone or vice versa, then you definitely lose the apps... even if the developer has made it available on both/all platforms.

I understand that the same is generally true when changing platforms on a desktop computer, but I guess I just never considered I would have to face this cost for my phone too.

Thanks!

Jim

PS - I have one more general "nit": I really find reading a long list of instructions difficult to do on my phone. I am not one to read books or watch movies on my phone - screens are just too doggone small when I consider the much larger and easier to watch screens I have! I know Greg has some - or at least one - of his apps' instructions available to read online - on my full-size computer! (Thank you for that, Greg Smile ). But most do not have that; that is, Greg's and almost every other app developer. One app I own has 42 stinking pages of instructions/help pages! I end up taking about a gazillion screenshots, transferring them to my computer, and then either resizing them to something more comfortable to read, or if the text isn't too mucked up with colors and text effects I use OCR and print the whole thing out as a PDF file.

I would love it if developers would make their instructions available either online or as a PDF file, and I would be more than willing to cough up a few bucks more for such a feature!
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
BTW, I neglected to add that I strongly agree with DynaMix that Greg is the best developer of apps - for both Android and iPhone/iPad - with whom I have ever had the pleasure of dealing! "Far and above" is indeed a very accurate description.

Thanks again!

Jim
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
This is a problema I have had, I recently changed my pone (Android) for a newer model. When I went to re install all my apps from google play, in the mt apps section, half of what I had purchased was missing,so the ones I use a lot I had to buy again Houdinis last trick, for example, trying to contact Google to sort it out was nothing short of imposible. So for an App that costs a lot more I would like some sort of safety net to make sure I didn't lose it.
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3729 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I agree that Greg is the best developer and consistently releases real workers. As far as ipredict pro is concerned I have no doubt it is worth every penny but I'm a single parent raising 3 kids on my own and in the middle of a divorce so I have to be extremely choosy about where I spend every penny and ipredict just goes above the amount I can justify right now.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1149 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Sounds tough man, hope it works out for you.

I'm not even 100% sure the price is "justified" its just that I buy so much magic crap, the fact that I actually use iPredict Pro ALL THE TIME makes it seem worth it to me...I do wish it was a little lower though! I remember having won a couple of iTunes gift cards around the time I purchased it, so I think my actual outlay was around $60 something lol

The one thing I just LOVE about iPredict Pro is that you can give the number out ahead of time. You can also, within reason, choose the number. So I chose a phone number with the last 4 digits being 3786 and I get the spectator to "divine" them using the standard psy force stuff we all know. I don't' even use the customizable outs that often (just lazy, trying to get around to recording all the voicemails), but I need to, given how much I spent on this app!
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3729 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
It has it's moments lol but it beats only seeing my kids every other weekend. Been bringing them up on my own for 4 and a half years now and it's only really the divorce and some bad luck with a load of big expenses coming in at once that has made this year really tight. I am still overspending on magic but I have to be very very picky like I had to get a cheap used FMT 2 instead of sixth sense 2.5. The FMT is great but not very easy to use in summer when I'm mostly in short sleeves. Personally I think ipredict pro is the best app I have seen by a country mile but I won't get much use out of it even though it's the perfect tool for getting girls phone numbers lol.

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
george1953
View Profile
Inner circle
Mallorca (Spain)
5941 Posts

Profile of george1953
Hi Mark,where in Essex aare you, my mother lives in Harlow and I visit her every February when I am finished here in Majorca, maybe we can meet up. PM me your email address andwe can talk more, George
Chris Meece
View Profile
Special user
Somerset Kentucky
826 Posts

Profile of Chris Meece
Greg, I believe your apps are priced reasonably. I believe you could have went higher on your price for Supa Thump and not lost a single purchaser. (Ahem .. don't do that until us Apple users get a chance to purchase it first, though)

I want you guys to make money so we can continue to get cool apps like that. But I also want that coupled with some exclusivity. If Supa Thump is as common as Angry Birds then it defeats the point of having it. Catch 22 for you developers.
All small town magicians know what 793.8 signifies.
DynaMix
View Profile
Inner circle
1149 Posts

Profile of DynaMix
Quote:
On 2013-08-08 20:16, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
Personally I think ipredict pro is the best app I have seen by a country mile but I won't get much use out of it even though it's the perfect tool for getting girls phone numbers lol.

Mark

I see your iPredict Pro and I raise you iUnlock. haha. Trust me, iUnlock is PERFECT for gettin those digits. I literally unlock the girls' phones and just type my number in and say "call me" in a very cheesy, non-serious way. And they do. Every time.
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1088 Posts

Profile of rasp
DynaMix is correct........... And some very clever additions being added to iUnlockyourmind in the near future!!
Mark_Chandaue
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex UK
3729 Posts

Profile of Mark_Chandaue
I have iunlock and I agree that it is awesome but I only unlock their phone if challenged to do so. Ipredict pro on the other hand they have to call me to listen to my voicemail and so I'd get their number every single time. Thanks to telefoto combined with isobellas star I'd have their birthday too so on at least one day of the year I'll have a perfect excuse to call them. And if they reject me, well thanks to iunlock I have their pin number so a little bit of studying Mark Raffles books and it wasn't a complete waste muwahaha

Mark
Mark Chandaue A.I.M.C.
Myke Phillips
View Profile
Inner circle
Myke Phillips
1193 Posts

Profile of Myke Phillips
I'm all in with "iUnlockYourMind Pro" Smile

Good thoughts
Myke
X
amazingvijay
View Profile
Regular user
N. California Bay Area
180 Posts

Profile of amazingvijay
Good question and something I have thought about a lot. I am an App developer (part time) and a magician. I feel that low priced apps available for $0.99 are novelty items and unless you have a large marketing budget they are unlikely to reach the masses. Then you have the apps that cost $3 to $10. There are a lot of these and some of them are great e.g. iSoda, Card2Phone and Magic Shuffle. Something like the beer app or iSoda or MagicWallet do sell lots of copies and are very well made. This is because at this price range both magicians and non magicians buy them without worrying about the price. If the app is cool, I can hit the buy button, show it to a bunch of people and then tell them where they can buy the app. Anything that is more expensive than $10 becomes a limited market and at that price point I personally do hesitate to spend the money. I think $25 to $30 is fair if the app is excellent and close to the top price I would consider paying for a magic app even if it is wonderful.

I know we would like to compare an app to a magic prop but I don't think the 2 are comparable. The audience knows you can do amazing things with an App. I regularly do an effect called Magic Shuffle (an Invisible deck routine with an iPhone) and I have heard the wildest explanations from people incl. the secret use of Siri Smile A normal Invisible deck on the other hand always gets gasps and leaves the audience with absolutely NO explanation. I feel the best use of magic apps is that you can perform good magic anytime, anywhere. I also like to mix a high tech effect when I do walk around sets - but I expect the item to be something that will peak their intellectual curiosity - not to hit it out of the park with that one. And yes, I understand that apps like Telephoto or Supa thump hide the use of the phone but a regular book test like MOABT or a peek wallet to do a drawing dup will probably be equally if not more effective. So to summarize, what I am trying to say is that magic apps serve a limited purpose for us normal magicians (who are not appearing on TV) and $50 is probably the max. price for any App. And at that price I probably will not buy many apps but at the $25 to $30 range I would feel more comfortable spending the money and around the $5 mark, I would not only buy but promote the app to all my friends.

I am not sure I have said a lot more than the basic laws of economics but oh well, you wanted our opinions Smile

Vijay
N California Bay Area magician
http://www.amazingvijay.com
JanForster
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany ... when not traveling...
3883 Posts

Profile of JanForster
I do not mind to pay good money for an excellent app, like TeleFoto or iUnlockyourmind (which I purchased today) are - and I do appreciate the fact that with high price apps there is a limited market. It's good for the user Smile. Jan
Jan Forster
www.janforster.de
rasp
View Profile
Inner circle
1088 Posts

Profile of rasp
Jan, your going to have a ball with iUnlockyourmind......... I can't wait to read in the Facebook group how you use this. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » APPS-alutely » » The price of magic apps . . . (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL