We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Let talk about escapes (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
So, I have noticed that here in the "all tied up" section, which is supposed to be about escapes and escape artists, we seem to have little to say on the subject. We are all escapologists in one form or another and this is a forum to talk about that. Why don't we try to talk about that with out fighting or making silly comments?

I will start.

I am working on an escape right now. The actual escape will be quite simple. A chained wrist type of business. But it should be exciting in that I will be chained inside a wooden frame work type of tunnel. Because of the framework rather than solid walls, the audience will see all, including the vehicles that will run me over if I cannot free myself in time. The framework also builds in a place for me to step to avoid getting run over.

To you guys this is probably nothing much, but I think the audience will eat it up.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4423 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Sorry not getting it.....
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Cliff is trying to figure-out if our Universal Health Care will cover broken wrists, ribs, clavicles and other assorted compound fractures.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4423 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Ah but if universal health care is BAD! I mean .......

'People such as scientist Stephen Hawking wouldn't have a chance in the UK, where the National Health Service would say the life of this brilliant man, because of his physical handicaps, is essentially worthless.' (Investor's Business Daily as ref here: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-......ns.html)

.... yeah they only managed to save my life and one of my 2 children who had sever medical issues. But as Meatloaf said "two out of three 'aint bad".

Cliff what I was getting at when I said I'm not getting it was .....

this bit....

"But it should be exciting in that I will be chained inside a wooden frame work type of tunnel."

A frame work type of tunnel so no roof (isn't that a cave in?) why the need for the frame work then? Why not just be chained and have to escape the chains?

It just doesn't sit well in my head - I cant see the need for the tunnel if its just a frame tunnel?

if the "tunnel" contains a "place for me to step to avoid getting run over" if that's in the tunnel - why not escape and stay in the tunnel and not get run over. Isn't the aim to escape from the nunnel and not get run over as the cars crash in to the nunnel? (its not really a tunnel if it doesn't have a roof and sides. So its a non tunnel which is abbreviated (in my world) to nunnel!) - I am assuming that the cars are coming towards the nunnel?

I say cars - I am assuming - you used the word vehicles - could be really scary, a bunch of girl guides .... or my neighbor who is 95 and SHOULD NOT BE DRIVING! You have to shout he's hard of hearing. Or even the Hell's Grannies of Monty Python Fame.

No but really I need the concept clarifying for me........ I just don't see the need for the 'tunnel'. Or is it like "The Coffin of Death" but without the sides? Where will you hide the explosives (anyone know how AB is doing after his 'little' fire ball experience?)

I want to know more - but I need the story! The reason the .... well it explaining preferable in coloured pictures and words of one syllable or less ( Smile )
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
AB?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
A.B. is andrew basso. Andrew is better, and I believe back at work.

The framework tunnel has three purposes.
1. A place to guide my would be impalers through to a limited size target.
2. A couple of cross pieces for the roof are a place for me to be chained.
3. Provide a safe place to hide as my would be impalers pass through.
Magic is like Science,
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
I'd be less confused if the word 'TYPE' wasn't used and a real description was given, in the same way a teacher might explain something to his class, so the listeners knew what he was talking about instead of having to guess and ask extra questions. Any drawings??

And Cliff, in the last post on ATG, your posts were not about escapes but "TYPE of law info" , how does that factor into your introduction in this post.
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
Doesn't
Magic is like Science,
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Oh, that okay then, I thought this post was telling everyone to get on board and do what is suggested by the thread name, "let every conversation be about escapes'. I come here for the humour, good and bad.
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Cliff, you missed the important bit, do you have any drawings?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4423 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On 2013-08-08 23:58, Ian McColl wrote:
I come here for the humour, good and bad.

Mainly the latter, you bearded od art! (Joke you ain't that old)!!!!
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Dave

Oh no, I am that old., but I laugh, I think Mick is older
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2485 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
I am a terrible artist, anything I draw comes out looking like c rap. I don't see it as being all that difficult to imagine. Think of a window with no glass in it about six feet tall and six feet wide. Probably made of 2x4's. May need a cross piece in the middle for strength. Two of these see through windows are parallel to each other. This will form the "track" of the tunnel. Some other 2x4's connects the two parallel windows at the top. One of the top 2x4's has a hook or a screw eye or some such for me to me chained to. The front opening will probably be covered with paper. Imagine a college football team running through a banner.

Still working on what will come through the tunnel. I have several e-mails out working on it now.
Magic is like Science,
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
Well there's your answer. Get the local football team to come running through your tunnel, smash through the banner and look all over to figure out what happened to you. Then you suddenly stand up on top of the framework and throw a football down to the QB. This could be followed by cheer leaders streaming through the tunnel and they all help you down and then carry you off on shoulders, etc.

Another idea is to have a small Clown Car come crashing through the tunnel. The doors open, the clowns come tumbling out and start looking for your body. When everyone agrees you are nowhere on the premises, you come out of the Clown Car in a clown outfit, honking a big horn.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Now... where do I get a big horn?
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4423 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Jim....

I'm all for the cheerleaders bit! ......of course if they are like some of thoes fine ladies over at the Jets Flight Crew or the Miami Dolphins (yes I felt the need to research) well all I can say is....

One may well be ending up with a big horn any way!

But not so sure Cliff can really sell the dangers of clown cars .....but maye he could!

My advice ..... Use a Reliant Robin. Just be 100% clear the the driver MUST line up DEAD CENTRE with the front of the car. Two facts, they used to be made in Tamworth and they were the bane of the frightened little bunnies (Not a euphemism - for a change) who strayed on to the road!
Wolflock
View Profile
Inner circle
South Africa
2257 Posts

Profile of Wolflock
Cliff - USe Google Sketch-up. It is free. Just google it. Reasonably easy to use to create 3D designs of what you want to create.
Wolflock
Pro Magician & Escapologist
Member of JMC (Johannesburg Magic Circle)
South Africa
Ian McColl
View Profile
Inner circle
1485 Posts

Profile of Ian McColl
Thanks for the explaination, for some reason I had the escape (what binds you) in my head and not the setup for the escape. So it sounds something workable, is there anything you need to work on?
jimgerrish
View Profile
Inner circle
East Orange, NJ
3211 Posts

Profile of jimgerrish
If you can make a roller coaster-like track that comes down an incline in back of the frame and the roller coaster car passes through the frame on gravity, that might be fun. Or you could roll a huge papier mache boulder down the track as in Indiana Jones #1. Maybe you could mount the frame on a real roller coaster ride at an amusement park if you have the insurance for it.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Interesting cliff.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Let talk about escapes (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.43 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL