We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Magic Bistro (17 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10230 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Was it then mostly kids and family performers? I was directed there because of the mentaism and business areas, but they really seemed lacking and non-supported. At least these were my thoughts, maybe others would disagree.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
The mentalism section was rarely used, and didn't have much of use in it. It was kids and family show performers who dominated the Bistro. And some good insights were shared.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I also was dominated by a LOT of non magic talk and ego problems within the ranks.

I am not saying that is a bad thing, it just was.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2312 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
^This is true, but again, in my opinion this is what made it special.

How many times do you see a post here at The Magic Café by someone you have no idea who it is? Therefore, you don't know if it should be taken seriously? I mean, how many magicians tell you what you should do to be successful and yet they are only successful in their in minds?

At the Bistro, we really got to know each other. What our background was, yes, even what our religious and political views were. It gave credence to what we posted about magic. And make no mistake about it, there was great information shared at The Magic Bistro.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7456 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Just today, I listened to a Magic Bistro podcast that I had downloaded a while ago (but hadn't listened to yet). It was the Great Zucchini interview. Thanks James.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Ken, that is exactly how I remember the Bistro. And because of that it was fun to post on.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On May 7, 2014, Ken Northridge wrote:
^This is true, but again, in my opinion this is what made it special.

How many times do you see a post here at The Magic Café by someone you have no idea who it is? Therefore, you don't know if it should be taken seriously? I mean, how many magicians tell you what you should do to be successful and yet they are only successful in their in minds?

At the Bistro, we really got to know each other. What our background was, yes, even what our religious and political views were. It gave credence to what we posted about magic. And make no mistake about it, there was great information shared at The Magic Bistro.


I get what you are saying and if that was where it stopped the place would most likely still be running. But when you let ego go unchecked and people start to just blast away at each other for old reasons it goes downhill fast.

James to his immense credit tried to strike a balance. That line is the width of a spiders web and it is so hard to see. That is the problem.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1656 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
I am delighted to report that The Magic Bistro has just re-opened: www.MagicBistro.com

JR
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Same username and password, or do we have to rejoin?
Ken Northridge
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlantic City, NJ
2312 Posts

Profile of Ken Northridge
Rejoin Tony! Its all new.
"Love is the real magic." -Doug Henning
www.KenNorthridge.com
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Yes, it is true. The Bistro is back... but very different.

If you were a member of the old Bistro you will need to apply to rejoin. I have already rejected a couple of people who didn't use their real names. I want this to be a place for grown-ups to talk about magic and performance in a calm, productive way. There is a separate room for non-magic talk which people can opt into or avoid altogether.

It might turn out to be terribly boring or it could be fabulous! But there won't be any silly bickering.

To give an idea... I posted a card routine of mine that uses the Shapeshifter change. Marc DeSouza and I then discussed some of the finer details of his wonderful move. In another thread Ian Kendall and I expressed our opposing views about asking a group if they would like to see magic in a strolling situation. And there is a good thread about costuming for kids shows. I'll start up the podcasts again soon.

It is very early days (literally the first week) but I like the tone so far. If this sounds like your bag, come over and check it out.

And if you want lots of silliness, I highly recommend applying for Jolly Roger's fabulous Facebook group, the Jolly Jammers.

Right, that's the last time I will mention the Bistro here or on any other forum. I don't want to step on any toes or upset anyone.

Best,
James
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I just signed up. Glad to see it is back.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10230 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I knew this would be back relatively quick. My question is..is it really any different? Is it still a kids performers forum? Is it still a lot of talk about anything but entertainment? Is it still the cop magician posting every other thread? Is it still former scorned Café members bad-mouthing the Café? Is there any mentalism included? Any non-kids/family performers areas? And is there any sections related to the business of entertaining? I guess even the former if I recall had some of this but still without much focus due to all of the kids performers.

James seems to have so much to offer but it never seemed to come through in the former forum as I recall, so I'm wondering is it really different now and how? Seems like most of the same old guys getting excited about recreating the old Bistro.

Is it worth taking another look at for consideration for pros? Charliecheckers I value you opinion, any thoughts?
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I joined to see how the new Bistro can provide a new and different outlet. On one hand I believe James is capable of creating a site that is very interesting. I really like his way of thinking and his own materials. In fact, I feel cheated in life, never getting to see a "James Wand" show as a kid because I was a card carrying member of Spy University and I know I would have loved it.

That being said, I too wonder how this will be different. I think it would be very hard to create a better TMC, which is what it seemed the last Bistro attempted unsuccessfully. It appeared to be a subset of the same topics, with fewer (but the same) participants. Often people were creating duplicate threads at both sites and the responses were duplicates as well. I hope James changes format and content completely. The podcasts were good, but better pull through into discussion would be of interest. Deeper discussions and/or debates on an opinion, website, strategy, performance, etc. would be one aspect I think could be approached in a different way.

In joining, I hope to hear how this new site will be a departure from that which is already out there and the thinking behind it. I wonder what the motivation behind this is for James. It seems a big time investment. I hope he shares that as well. It seems many who are responding to the new Bistro favor discussion on topics outside the performing and business aspects of a blog site. This may suit them well, but is not of interest to me. In fact, I chose only to dine in the main dining room of the Bistro. If the other areas are the focus of this site, it will not have value for me.
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10230 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2014, charliecheckers wrote:
I joined to see how the new Bistro can provide a new and different outlet. On one hand I believe James is capable of creating a site that is very interesting. I really like his way of thinking and his own materials. In fact, I feel cheated in life, never getting to see a "James Wand" show as a kid because I was a card carrying member of Spy University and I know I would have loved it.

That being said, I too wonder how this will be different. I think it would be very hard to create a better TMC, which is what it seemed the last Bistro attempted unsuccessfully. It appeared to be a subset of the same topics, with fewer (but the same) participants. Often people were creating duplicate threads at both sites and the responses were duplicates as well. I hope James changes format and content completely. The podcasts were good, but better pull through into discussion would be of interest. Deeper discussions and/or debates on an opinion, website, strategy, performance, etc. would be one aspect I think could be approached in a different way.

In joining, I hope to hear how this new site will be a departure from that which is already out there and the thinking behind it. I wonder what the motivation behind this is for James. It seems a big time investment. I hope he shares that as well. It seems many who are responding to the new Bistro favor discussion on topics outside the performing and business aspects of a blog site. This may suit them well, but is not of interest to me. In fact, I chose only to dine in the main dining room of the Bistro. If the other areas are the focus of this site, it will not have value for me.


Thanks for your thoughts charliecheckers. I'm very confused by your sentiments about James Wand as I've seen his show for years and it is anything but child-appropriate. Not sure about this.

The bottom line is if it's going to be the same people as before it will generate the same thing as before with the same results as before. When I checked it out previously it was a lot of talk and silliness about almost everything but magic or performing. This is why I was wondering. Some of the available forums were never given the proper attention to achieve what it could've been, which is why I too have wondered and questioned its purpose and new desired direction. I also remember there were also some guys saying things and passing them off as fact that in reality were far from any truths but just skewed opinions

It seems to do little good to just re-do what was already there, but who knows. I also agree that there was little depth to anything I remember seeing which is why I asked is this something for more amateurs or hobbyists or a place where they are seeking pros to hang out and share? Is it about performing and the business of entertaining or just casual or frivilous conversing?

I always have liked what I know about James, but must say the forum seemed to be a contrast and even conflict to his professional course and products. Maybe the podcasts were more along the lines of business but I never heard them, only have heard of them being referred to, but again, mostly about kids performers with the exception of Paul Pacific I think I remember hearing about, but then I was told he then got banned. I'm just not sure.
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Quote:
On Jun 15, 2014, Mindpro wrote:
I'm very confused by your sentiments about James Wand as I've seen his show for years and it is anything but child-appropriate. Not sure about this.


Are we talking about the same thing? http://www.jameswand.com
Mindpro
View Profile
Eternal Order
10230 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Haha, no we are not. This James Wand has been around for years and was what I was referring to:
http://hypnotism.com/performers/hypnotists/jim-wand/
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20662 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Thus summing up the magic bistdo. Everyone talking about something completely different.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
James Munton
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, TX
1199 Posts

Profile of James Munton
Good grief, fellas, you do overthink things, don't you?! It's just a place for a few friends to hang and chat.

Not trying to be anything more than that.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Quote:
On Jun 5, 2014, James Munton wrote:
Right, that's the last time I will mention the Bistro here or on any other forum.
Best, James

Hmmmm?

I would have to concur with Mindpro's opinions on this.
What's new from the previous model?
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » Magic Bistro (17 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL