We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » New Android Sound Control System - Best Boy Sound Control (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
Flosch
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Flosch
As Stefan already mentioned there is a new Sound System for Android - Best Boy Sound Control.

Let me give you some more Details:

Best Boy Sound Control was developed in cooperation with professional magicians. External devices which act as keyboards can be used as a remote control. These include presenter, remote controls and keyboards. These devices can be connected via Bluetooth or via an USB OTG (On The Go) cable as long your Android device supports USB OTG. With USB OTG, it is possible to use a Presenter with an USB-Stick; these are often used for PowerPoint presentations and usually have a longer range than corresponding Bluetooth devices.

Features:
- Works with standard remote controls and presenter (via Bluetooth or USB OTG)
- Fadeout (by pressing Play/Stop while playing)
- Auto-Stop (next tack in playlist will NOT automatically played)
- Set individual Volume for each track in Playlist
- Volume control via remote control
- Talk-Function (by pressing a button the volume is set to a preset value)
- Hard-Stop (by pressing a button the track stops without fading out)
- Play/Stop
- Skip (Next / Prev)
- Pause
- Auto-Airplane-Mode
- Equalizer
- Large, very clearly structured Display
- Display can be customized
- Playlist editor
- Easy to set up the remote controls
- Keys react on release
- Possibility to program two functions to one key

Tested Remote Controls:
- BestBoy Remote (USB OTG) (www.bestboyremote.de)
- Logitech Presenter R400 (USB OTG)
- Trust Wireles Remote Control for iPad (Bluetooth)
- TomTom BT Remote (Bluetooth)

The System will react by releasing a key. You may ask why. I’m a performer by myself and I often see people pressing something on stage. The hand goes down to the remote you see some pressing action and something will happen. And I’m pretty sure spectators will recognize it too. So I was thinking if your hand will go down and is pressing something and you hold this position for a few seconds, then the hand goes up again and while the hand goes up (maybe in a gesture) the action will happen the spectator will not see an obvious pressing action anymore. I know it’s only a small detail but a lot of professional magician tried it and they all loved it.
By reacting on a release it is also possible to detect the time the button is pressed. That gives the possibility to program two functions to one key depending on how long it has been pressed. Here is an example:
If your remote control has only four key; you can program one for Play/Stop, one for Next, one for Prev and one for Pause. But you also need Vol+ and Vol-. You are able by pressing the Next Button longer than two seconds to learn Vol+ as a long press and by pressing the Prev Button longer than two seconds to learn Vol-. If you are pressing the Skip-Buttons for less than two seconds the PREV or NEXT action is done. But if you are holding it for longer than two seconds you are able to change the volume. A long press will only have any effect if it is learned. In the example a long press is only learned to the Skip Buttons. So if you are pressing the Play/Stop Button the Play/Stop function will be always executed no matter how long you are pressing the button.

There is a Test Version for free (Only the first three songs in the playlist can be played.)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai......rol.lite

And a Pro Version for USD 9.27 (Euro 6,99)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai......dcontrol

Let me know what you think.

All the best wishes from Germany

Florian
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
I've tried this out. It works really well! If you have an Android phone or tablet, try out the Test version and see.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Small update...

I just got an inexpensive ($12.00), generic USB remote control in the mail. See the attached picture. It was set up and running with Best Boy in only a few minutes. The other gadget that I got was a USB OTG (On The Go) cable, which cost about $3.00.

Both of these worked with my smartphone and my Android tablet. And for an inexpensive remote, the range is quite nice - I can be easily 25 feet away and control music. A better remote would probably have more range, but this will do fine for many small shows.

This whole setup works great! If you're an Android user and want music cue software, check it out.

Click here to view attached image.
Jeff Haas
View Profile
Special user
907 Posts

Profile of Jeff Haas
Forgot to say...I'm going to MAGIC Live, if you want a demo I'll have the remote and my smartphone with me. (I don't get anything from the developer, I just really like the app.)
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of gothike
Congrats on the App and at less than $10 this will help Android people.
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
Has anyone been able to find a smaller remote similar to the Show cues remote for android? I have been on the fence about getting an android or an ipad to run music. I am leaning more towards an android if I can find a better remote.
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of gothike
MagicTim, the remote your referring to is just an Ijet Remote.

Nothing special about it.

IJet actually makes a USB version and the key fob (the remote everyone is using works with the USB receiver).

http://www.buyijet.com/ijet-usb-wireless......ler.html

Not sure what the key presses are to program it.
Control your Show Music from a PC from 800 ft away with a remote control. Send me a message to find out how......
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of gothike
So buy the USB version above and the key fob.

http://www.buyijet.com/accessories-1/rep......e-1.html

Or beforehand email them to verify that the USB receiver and the key fob remote work together.

Luckily the Android App works by recognizing key strokes and the buttons are assignable.
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
Thanks gothike. I had seen the ijet usb remote, but had never thought about checking if their ipod remote was compatible. I'm going to email ijet and check.

Posted: Aug 11, 2013 04:23 pm
When I get a reply I'll let you all know.
Flosch
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Flosch
Thank you for the compliments. I'm very happy you like the app.

Maybe the iMedia HID Bluetooth Remote is an alternative (The remote should work; I never test it because the shipping costs to Germany are very expensive)
http://serialio.com/products/Bluetooth/H......mote.php
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11926
It is a Class 2 radio with Bluetooth (1.2) wireless technology so it has a maximum range of 30ft (10 m)
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you! For making your app affordable. I bought the other app for iphone that is being marketed here and when my iphone died I lost that $60.

I just bought https://serialio.com//store/product_info......0lbir5b6 remote. I hope it works with my phone.

I will let you know how it all words out.

Edd
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of gothike
Guys,

The Imedia Bluetooth remote has s battery life of 20 hours.

It would work awesome with an IPad PowerPoint using the bottom connector to a screen projector. But with a magic show it may not be the ideal solution.

I feel that if we confirm with Ijet about the USB remotes, that will be a better solution since the battery life is in theory a few years. Plus you can program multiple remote controls. Have 3 remotes that work as an example.

I have spoken to the guy from buyijet and told him how I helped sell hundreds of remotes and the guy was generous enough to offer me 10% off my next purchase. Not smart business.

A few years back Ijet and Griffin would mail me Free products to beta test. I also managed to crash one of them to their top engineers surprise.

Also another solution might just be the Griffin USB Air Click since the Android App has programmable buttons.

I would test the App but I just have Apple hardware.
Flosch
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Flosch
The USB-iJet Remote should work if your device supports USB On The Go (USB-OTG).
The only thing you need is a USB-OTG cable, which cost about $3.00.
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of gothike
Flosch,

The USB Ijet comes with a different remote that should work. We are checking to see if it works with the key fob Ijet.
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Fayetteville, Arkansas
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
I haven't heard anything yet. I used the contact form on the website. I think I will try to email ijet directly.
-Tim
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of gothike
Tim,

Spoke with the guy from buyijet, I ordered the USB receiver and will sync it with my Ijet remotes and report back.

Now the problem I see with certain USB OTG is that they don't have a charger port.

Not sure if something like this would work, in theory it should. See link below.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009YPYORM

It has the USB connector and an extra connector to charge your Android device.

Not sure if this model will work on all devices or something else in the market may be more compatible. I personally don't own a Android device.

This is the type of USB OTG I would buy so I wouldn't worry about the tablet battery dying.
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
296 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
Guys, you have saved me several hundred dollars . . . THANK YOU.
I was just about to get the Ultimate Control until this was brought to my attention. It does everything (meaningful) UC does, at a fraction of the cost, using hardware (phones) I already own.
Just downloaded Best Boy Pro, and I love it.
This combo of... the Best Boy app / USB-OTG & charger / iJet keyfob remote / and iJet USB receiver... appears to EXACTLY meet my needs. Once I confirm that my Android phones (HTC Merge and Samsung Galaxy S4) are compatible with USB-OTG, I'll be in business. If not, I'll just get a tablet that is (the larger display would be nice anyway).
Now, I'm off to get my iJet toys.
THANKS AGAIN!

Posted: Aug 19, 2013 12:51 pm
Is there a setting in Best Boy to have some tracks "play then play the next track" as opposed to simply "play then stop and cue the next track"? Just wondering for my pre- and post-show music. If not, no big deal. I can just put all those single tracks into one larger consolidated track. Just thought I'd ask before editing.
a.k.a. Nathan Allen
gothike
View Profile
Elite user
459 Posts

Profile of gothike
Guys,

My Ijet USB receiver arrived.

It's easy to sync to a Ijet remote. The Ijet iNav V2.

Only 5 buttons work. The small oval button in the middle of all the buttons does not work.

I used it with PowerPoint, Winamp, FreeStyler (DMX).

Sync Instructions:

Plugin receiver, then press down all 4 buttons, next track, back track and volume for 5 seconds. Let go and wait another 5 seconds. That's it.

It should work with the Android App.
Flosch
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of Flosch
There is no feature to unable the auto-stop function in the software.
So you have to use a long track for pre- and post-show music.
But thank you for the hint. I will keep this feature in mind – maybe I can integrate it at some point.

The Galaxy S4 supports USB-OTG. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxXwJEh-qNQ)

I think this multimedia docking station is interesting:
(http://landoftechnology.com/2013/samsung-galaxy-s4-s3-note-2-smart-dock-review/)
I didn’t test it by myself and I don’t know if it works only with Samsung devices.
One disadvantage could be the position of the phone. (Vertical not horizontal)
T. Durden
View Profile
Loyal user
USA
296 Posts

Profile of T. Durden
Got my iJet keyfob remote (V2), got my USB reciever (w/ another remote), got my USB-OTG, got Best Boy Pro... this all works PERFECTLY with my Samsung Galaxy S4 and works PERFECTLY for my show. I highly recommend this set-up. Thanks again, gents.
a.k.a. Nathan Allen
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » New Android Sound Control System - Best Boy Sound Control (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..9~10~11 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL