The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Do you Old School? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

PaulFlury
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of PaulFlury
There is a lively exchange happening in one of the Facebook groups discussing the relative merits of big multi-balloon twists versus the uncomplicated simplicity of one-balloon creations. When I first started twisting the color selection was limited to maybe 8 so the variety we enjoy now wasn't available anyway. Everything was a single balloon. Sometimes it took a little imagination to get the vision.

Does anyone still do or appreciate the simple artistry in a one-balloon twist?
Robynhood
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston, SC
166 Posts

Profile of Robynhood
I appreciate that it can be harder to accomplish a creation with just one balloon, but I just don't do one balloon animals. I even use two balloons with my swords. I constantly get comments from parents saying, "This is incredible! In our day we just got little balloon dogs." If someone asks for a shark, I want it to look like a shark, if someone asks for a motorcycle, I want it to look like a motorcycle. People say they can't believe I can make something like that with balloons and make it look like what it really is. I consider it a personal and professional challenge to give someone what they ask for made out of balloons and have it look like well... what they asked for. Now when it comes to balloon hats I like to do crazy abstract designs that are not supposed to be any particular thing. But that is me as a balloon twister. I love details and I lean toward bigger balloons. I don't think there is any "wrong" way. You have to do what you love. If I made only one and two balloon animals I wouldn't enjoy my work as much, it doesn't suit me. You have to find your own personal style and If you love it that will radiate off of you and your audience will love it too!
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Meriden, CT
431 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Here's the thing.

1) One balloon Starship Enterprise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rk-OxRxciE

2) Two balloon Starship Enterprise: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPabjmbdiJ4

Which one is easier? Which one looks better? (hint... number one is the answer to both questions)

(yes - one of those is a balloon distractions video, sorry... it's just the best video to make my point)

Now - with all of this said, if your style is to do one balloon animals and it's what you like, then more power to you Smile
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
Coming from somone who does create the BIG STUFF, I also create smaller pieces that are more detailed. I like the one balloon starship above better than the bigger one. It's more detailed imo than the big one. With that said, I have seen Smarty Pants crank out a BIG Enterprise for Bill Shatner I believe it was and it looked exactly like the real thing.

My motto (that I think many adopt as their's as well) is to proove to the world that "balloon art doesn't suck, one sculpture at a time!"
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
PaulFlury
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of PaulFlury
I did a thing last evening at the President of the local university’s annual banquet. An art professor spent 30 minutes discussing the conceptualization, integrity and integration of what I was doing. He asked me if I considered my work sculpture or illustration. I told him I was forging fun, one twist at a time. The mom in front of me waiting with her child burst out laughing.

No balloon dog for the art professor.

Back on the thread: I’ve noticed some jam competitions are featuring what you can do with a single balloon contests. Everything old becomes new again.
esther_scheffer
View Profile
Veteran user
the netherlands
316 Posts

Profile of esther_scheffer
I love to do one balloon figures and most balloons I make are one (and some two or three) balloon figures.
Robynhood
View Profile
Regular user
Charleston, SC
166 Posts

Profile of Robynhood
Esther, I'd like to see some of these smaller balloons. Can you post some pics?
Juliegel
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of Juliegel
For me it really all depends on detail. If I ca get all the detail I need out of a single balloon hen I will be satisfied. Unfortunately this is rarely the case. The Star Trek example is not the best one. I could lump a dozen balloons in a ball on the floor and call it a cat. Is that the best that could be done with those materials? No.

My enterprise takes 4 balloons and features the ship flying around earth. It is simple for line work and detailed to satisfy.

There is no fit answer here. Only preference.

Dylan Gelinas
TKD27
View Profile
Elite user
Meriden, CT
431 Posts

Profile of TKD27
Fair enough on the star trek point... the smaller one is more detailed... a trekky would probably prefer the detail of it over the quicker one. But I think that a kid in line who asks for the enterprise would probably be happier with the bigger one that resembles it than the smaller one that is super detailed. I could be wrong, though... both Dylan and Christopher have a ton more experience than me when it comes to balloon twisting Smile Really, I don't twist on either of your levels, so I guess I'm looking at it from more of a beginner's perspective.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ballooning 101 » » Do you Old School? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL