The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Just Released: New Marketing Course For Entertainers (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

G. Batson
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of G. Batson
...and it's FREE. No need to spend any money. I can give you all you need to know in one short paragraph. Just follow these two rules and you will make all the money you want as an entertainer.

1. Have SOLID, polished material and understand you are not selling entertainment, you're selling a solution to your buyer's problems.

2. Break every single marketing rule you have ever heard on this forum. Even advice from the seasoned pros who have been in the business 20-30 years. If you're willing to do what you're competitors won't, they will be sitting in YOUR audience wondering why you're on stage, not them.

You probably think think is a joke. I assure you it is not.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9764 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Yeah, and let me know how that works out for you.
G. Batson
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of G. Batson
It has worked quite well. I do admit, the ideas were not mine alone. My mentor taught me well. Best advice I ever received.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7396 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
One of the marketing rules taught on this forum IS to have solid, polished material. Smile

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
G. Batson
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of G. Batson
Yes you're right. I should have said be willing to break every "rule" except the advice given in #1.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Yea selling solutions LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
Please share something - brochure, web site, photo, video or something to demonstrate you taking the opposite of what seasoned professionals would offer. What is something you are doing that no one is willing to do (and have been advised against)? Let's talk specifics - or at least a strong example - to illustrate your point. I realize that NOT having a brochure, web site, photos, and video may be the strategy you're going for.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7396 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Sometimes, selling a "solution" to a buyer's "problem" is not the way to go. If you try to guess at their problems, or try to ask them to share their problems, that might not be the best way to go. Sometimes, they just want to know the price and want to be able to book the show, and all of that other stuff (thinking and / or speaking in terms of "problems" and "solutions") becomes the problem.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
G. Batson
View Profile
Regular user
159 Posts

Profile of G. Batson
Thanks for you're interest Scott. I'm afraid I'm already being misunderstood. And that is my fault. #2 should have read "Be willing" to break...

The point I'm making is there are no rules! Sure there are strategies and tactics used for years in the entertainment business to book work. When someone says for example "When approaching a talent agency, you need to blah, blah, blah. That's how it works. That's how it has always been done" Baloney.

I will return with with some concrete examples of gigs I won using unconventional marketing. No time right now.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20026 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The idea that rules even exist is absurd.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2644 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Some of those "rules" are in place for a reason. For instance, agencies in Hollywood for the most part, do not accept unsolicited submissions. This is done on purpose and it's universal across the board in the major agencies and management firms. Sure, you can alter your approach and presentation so that it doesn't fit the mold, but unless you have an industry insider vouching for you, no one is letting you through the front door. I see hundreds of emails, letters and packages a week - writers, actors, directors wanting to send me their material. Some try the standard approach, others make a whole narrative out of it, some are long and drawn out, others are two or three words. People send candy, flowers, stuffed animals, you name it. Bottom line? Not a single one ever gets opened. It's hard, having to dump all that stuff when you know someone put time and effort into it, but that's the reality of this business. You can be different, but to get in the door, you've got to follow the rules.

That's just the agency/management side of things in the film/TV business. I realize it's not the same as magic, but this whole "break all the rules" approach could be suggested here, and it just doesn't work that way.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
G. Batson: Just a friendly suggestion. Before you give out advice, be sure to get your thoughts together. I'm not responding to your post with just opinions. I have a marketing degree and over 40 years of experience in marketing nationally. You say to break all the rules (or later "be willing to break all the rules"); then you later say that there are no rules. You were right the second time. There are no rules in marketing. There are marketing methods and not all methods are effective for all situations. A successful marketer tries to identify all the methods that will be the most effective and puts them into their marketing plan. Doing things different than your competitors may be effective... if your competitors are not being successful with their marketing methods. But if they are staying booked more than you, it probably is because they are doing some things right! Even with all my experience, I have learned more about marketing magic shows on this forum from many of the successful performers. To say that one should go against all the advice of the seasoned pros is not necessarily the best advice. One thing that you did say that I can agree with... the "marketing course" you offered was FREE! But in this case, you get what you pay for. I'm not always right, but as Scott suggested, if you can produce some more specific ideas that have been proven to be successful and go against the advice of everyone that has shared their successful ideas, I will be the first to admit you have a better idea!
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9764 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
The problem is and has always been people (especially magician's apparently) are looking for cookie cutter, one size fits all processes or methods. Truth be told each product, service and entertainer each should have their own specific marketing execution based on factors more than likely exclusive to them - who they're targeting, who they're trying to reach, the markets they are targeting, the price points they are seeking, the style and type of performance or service they are offering, their geographical market, and a host of their specifics.

The same is true for seeking agents and agencies. Many performers think that having an agent or being represented by agencies is the answer to all of their problems, In reality you should be seeking a specific agent or agency that specializes in the targets you are pursuing. I can't tell you how many acts get rep'd by agencies that never book them on a single date because they are an inappropriate match for their services.

Rules or no rules, it finding the best process, tools and resources that are most appropraite for the specific success or outcomes you are trying to achieve.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
I'd be interested in this magician's website who says to be different. Especially because websites are NOT different nor new. Everyone has a website. What are you doing online that is so great and different. I assume nothing.

This is like saying "I created a brand new magic trick." There are no new magic tricks. There's vanishes, appearances, levitation, etc. only 7 (I think lol).

What a silly post with no merit. You would have been better off saying "embrace the idea of permission marketing... Here's how."

Josh
Josh
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Just Released: New Marketing Course For Entertainers (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL