The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Crazy but wrong! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
330 Posts

Profile of ellisd
I am going to hang it all out here and publicly state that I think a huge majority of magicians including famous ones who show this effect on their videos are doing CMH wrong!!! If not wrong then at least not right. It's been more then a few years since I watched Michael Ammar's Classic Rendition on CMH so I can't remember exactly how he taught it but I remember How Copperfield did it on Tv and it was completely mind blowing and not how most magicians appear to be teaching it today. What blew my mind about the effect when watching Copperfield do it was that you SAW one band pass through another band straight on. What I took away from the effect after learning it and watching Copperfield do it was that when you press one band against another band it can give the illusion that band number one is BEHIND band number two when in reality it is in front of it. The whole crux of the effect is that illusion of one band being behind another band when actually it's NOT. When performed properly the audience should think they are actually SEEING one band pass through another. Everyone I see perform this today for some reason isn't showing this. They just put one band behind the other and after the "move" pull their hands apart. Why this bugs me so much I don't know. I just always loved the illusion of it so much it just mystifies me that people would teach it and leave out the best part of the illusion. It's not really an illusion if nobody really sees it happening. Anyway my rant for the year. Thanks for listening. If you get great reactions doing it your way without really showing the penetration more power to ya but maybe go to the mirror and press one rubberband against another and see how cool that illusion looks!
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10764 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
Please put up- a demo I would love to see this live. you make some very valid points
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
626 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Yes, please do post a video.
I love rubber band magic and do crazy mans handcuffs (from time to time) but mine doesn't look like Copperfield. Still fools laymen but I prefer other methods of doing unlinking rubber bands as they look cleaner to me. My CMH and the video I learned it from just doesn't appear to be melting thru. Laymen may go "wow", I think "not that great".
I'm sure there are nuances that I (and it sounds like others) are not doing. Who is the resource for this effect (done right)? is it Ammar?
Ray Bertrand
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1421 Posts

Profile of Ray Bertrand
Ammar has a complete section devoted to this in his book, "The Magic of Michael Ammar"/

Ray
Mentalism in Ontario.
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
I'm going to chime in on this one. You're describing something you remember, you've created that memory. In actuality, that's not how it happened. If you track down video of David doing this for the camera, you'll clearly see that your brain painted this memory.

I came up with a version, years ago, that gets rid of "the move"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufal8qDM_HA
0pus
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
1739 Posts

Profile of 0pus
I like it when it appears to unlink more slowly, one strand at a time. That means that the unlink does not occur immediately after the move. Many performers appear to be in a rush to show the unlink. I think it should not be a flash unlink.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
626 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Quote:
On 2013-08-16 09:30, 0pus wrote:
I like it when it appears to unlink more slowly, one strand at a time. That means that the unlink does not occur immediately after the move. Many performers appear to be in a rush to show the unlink. I think it should not be a flash unlink.

I agree with this post but I do use time misdirection from the move to the actual unlink. And I do one band at at time. I've never gotten caught but I still feel something is missing from this. It just doesn't look as magical as I know it should. Maybe I'll find what I need from Ammar's book.
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
626 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Quote:
On 2013-08-16 01:55, vmendoza wrote:
I'm going to chime in on this one. You're describing something you remember, you've created that memory. In actuality, that's not how it happened. If you track down video of David doing this for the camera, you'll clearly see that your brain painted this memory.

I came up with a version, years ago, that gets rid of "the move"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufal8qDM_HA

Hey, that's some nice moves. Never seen that version of CMH before. Now my brain is on overdrive on how ya did that. Are you the creator of this?
vmendoza
View Profile
Elite user
Farmingdale. New Jersey
430 Posts

Profile of vmendoza
Yes, jcrabtree2007. I dabble in rubber band magic. Here's a closer look at it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kRZmRY1-EBg
moechsle
View Profile
New user
Ĺrhus, Denmark
42 Posts

Profile of moechsle
I totally agree with ellisd about the unlinking moment being crucial to the effect and you shouldn't rush over it.
I remember the first times I saw the trick done by fellow magicians and on the Ammar tape. I also saw it melt through. At that time.
Just found an old clip on youtube with Copperfield doing cmh. Looking with jaded eyes now I see something else. So yes, it's a false memory but that memory is created on the spot. It is how the audience experiences it! When done right. Isn't it just what magic as a craft is all about?

Btw, Same with retention vanishes. Will never forget the first time I saw David Roth doing it (on tape). And Mickey Silver. Now... hmm it's not the same. Ironic that we lose ability to enjoy our own art, Isn't it?
ellisd
View Profile
Veteran user
Sacramento
330 Posts

Profile of ellisd
How Vincent Does it is pretty much what I am talking about. See how he frames his hands so the audience can "apparently" see one band pass through another. It adds a "whole nother level"(remember that mad tv skit?) than just what I would call the sideways view. Actually the more I watch Vincent's demo the more impressed I am. I think it looks better then you know who's! lol
Thanks guys! Time to get to work!!!!
http://www.erictheballoondude.com

Balloon Twisting for all of Sacramento!
jcrabtree2007
View Profile
Special user
626 Posts

Profile of jcrabtree2007
Very Nice Vincent. Melts thru....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » Crazy but wrong! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL