The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Use a new deck or an old deck? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Cubby199
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Cubby199
I know this might sound silly but I sometimes love using old decks for certain flourishes. It's kinda wierd soo I made this questionair to see who agrees.

For these flourishes do you prefer to use an A. Old deck or, B. a new deck or, C either one

1. Thumb fan
2. Pressure fan
3. Card spring
4. One handed fan
5. Waterfall
6. Card spread and flip domino effect
7. Goldstone card flower (just to make sure your paying attention)

As for me I am
1b
2a
3c
4a
5a
6c (cause I rarely successfully execute it)
7verry, a
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.
-The Prestige (my favorite movie)
Anatole
View Profile
Inner circle
1807 Posts

Profile of Anatole
Not a silly question at all.
I am pretty much in agreement with your list except for
6. Card spread and flip domino effect
which you feel comfortable with regardless of whether the deck is new or old.

If I am doing the card spread and flip on my arm, a deck that is broken in is preferable.
If I am doing the card spread and flip on a table cloth or close-up pad, then it depends on the technique-- is it a variant of a spring spread or just sliding the cards in a ribbon. A spring spread is easier for me with a deck that I have "broken in."

And of course a lot depends on whether the cards have been treated (e.g. with fanning powder) for these kinds of flourishes.

----- Sonny
----- Sonny Narvaez
griffindance
View Profile
Regular user
144 Posts

Profile of griffindance
I have some packs that are over ten years old. They are kept because I know that if they feel too sticky I just need to leave them for a while and they'll be just right.
Sometimes the weather is too humid and letting the cards dry out fixes any problems.
Cardspread with domino finish will always be better with an older pack though.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Use a new deck or an old deck? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL