The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Best Cups & Balls DVD? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
365 Posts

Profile of Ashkenazi the Pretty Good
I understand that the Ammar and Ganzo aren't even available, and know of at least one DVD with several different performances & tutorials.

Nonetheless, I humbly ask for you guidance.

Sincerely Yours,
ATPG
------------

We could have been practicing!
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations Pretty Good,

Wow, Ammar and Gazzo gone, bummer! If you can get your hands on them using any devious method, i.e., second-hand, dealer finds a missing stash, etc., get both, they're great.

The Stephen's Teach-In has some interesting cups-and-balls performers. It's a little long on performance and short on teaching but it will get you to thinking.

Johnny Thompson's video set, Vol. 4, I think, has his cups-and-balls routine. It has some excellent audience participation bits which I plan on incorporating into my Cellini-inspired routine.

One of Aldo Colombini's tapes has his routine on it, and while it is an award winning routine, I think a bit of it might be lost on a lay audience.

Off the top of my head, that's my $.02 (USD) worth, and remember YMMV.

Joe in KC

Live a great adventure, have a magical life!
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Aldo's is long and dull. Confussion magic. Ammar's teaching DVD's are wonderful, but int he end I like David Williamson's 2 cup routine. Simple, yet clever. It's incredible to watch.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
ollason
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of ollason
Michael Ammar's Complete Cups and Balls is great and covers the topic extremely thoroughly - bought it in UK fairly recently.
Carl Andrews Table Hopping Cups and Balls gives an entertaining routine with just two cups.
joeybaron
View Profile
Regular user
dallas,texas
101 Posts

Profile of joeybaron
I don't remember the exact tittle of the tape, but pat page has a fantastic rather impromptu routine using rolled up bills with mugs or coffee cups.very direct. loading sequence makes more use of time misdirection,than most cups & balls routines.
Mistro
View Profile
Special user
Canada
577 Posts

Profile of Mistro
I'm going to go with Carl Andrews Cups and Balls dvd. That's really good dvd!
what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I got Ammars DVDs on the cups & balls for christmas. Excellent!!! He starts at the every begining and covers enough teritory to allow you to create your own routine. He also teaches the Vernon routines (impromptu and regular) as well as other more simple routines.
I also purchased the Stevens Cups & Balls Teach in last year. It is nice because you can see 4 presentations. They also teach the routines quickly.
If you are just starting in the cups & Balls, learn Mark Wilsons (from his book and I believe he has a video of it as well) routine as you will be performing it in no time.

Enjoy,

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3261 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Quote:
On 2004-01-02 13:21, Mistro wrote:
I'm going to go with Carl Andrews Cups and Balls dvd. That's really good dvd!

Oh yes! Certainly one of the best with only two cups. Recomended.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
I like Cral's DVD, but I think it's realy williamson's 2 Cup routine with some Ammar stuff.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
365 Posts

Chris,

Have you seen the Stevens DVD?

Thanks,
ATPG
------------

Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
426 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I have seen several Cups and Balls routines. The one DVD that strikes me as the best is David Regal's routine called Cups and Balls and Cups and Balls. He has a great story he tells that has a beginning, middle, and an ending. It's entertaining and keeps you "hooked" from beginning to end.
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
365 Posts

Please a-z, it gives us context to know what else you've seen. What others are you familiar with besides David's?

ATPG
------------

Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
426 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
I'll post as a reply to all that David Regal has another Cup and Ball routine on his latest dvds. Have not seen it. Has anyone seen it?
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
587 Posts

Profile of wayman
Has anyone seen Tommy Wonders cups and ball 's routine?

One of the best that I have seen.

iTS on one of his, "Visions of Wonder" (vol 1-3)
Sean W. Burke
View Profile
Loyal user
Washington D.C.
298 Posts

Profile of Sean W. Burke
I am confused. Someone said that Micheal Ammars cups and balls are no longer available but when I went to L&L site I saw Michael Ammar's Complete Cups and Balls Vol. 1&2 for sale. Am I missing something here?
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
365 Posts

Sburke:

At the time I wrote this, I couldn't find it anywhere in DVD form. At least, not at the sites I frequent.

Everybody: Please, if you opine on this answer, list the OTHER ONES YOU HAVE SEEN.

Please!

ATPG
------------

what
View Profile
Special user
Lehi, UT, USA
643 Posts

Profile of what
I love the cups and balls routines.

I perform the Mark Wilson Rountine (with generous portions of Michael Ammars advice and enhancements thrown in)

I also perform a cups & balls combo routine from John Mendoza ($5.00 booklet, very good routine for the combo chop cup set)
I have seen:

David Regal (More Tricks series) He teaches the Vernon routine with a excellent Regal Twist - Excellent idea. Routine explained. More for those who do the cups & balls and want to look at performances and ideas.

Tommy Wonder Visions of Wonder Vol 1. He teaches his own routine. This is a fantastic 2 cups routine. It requires alot of misdirection skill to perform. This entire DVD is for learning misdirection (The cups & balls provide one excellent example)

Stevens Magic Emporium Teach In Cups & Balls. This video shows and teaches 4 routines by 4 excellent magicians. It again is excellent to give ideas and let you look at difernet cups & props, and performance settings.

IMS DVD with Patric Page teaching the cups & balls. He teaches a simple routine on this DVD. He gets you up and running with performable material in a very short amount of time. He teaches a simgle, simple routine.

Michael Ammars Complete Cups & Balls (1 & 2). This is a teaching video. He teaches many sleights, moves, and sequences. He teaches 4 entire routines (2 basic, 1 impromptu, and the Vernon routine) with suplimental moves to work on to build your own routine. It is an excellent teacing resourse.

If I were to learn the Cups & balls from a single video source, or improve my technique, I would buy the Ammar Complete cups & balls 2 DVD set.

If I were to start work on the cups & balls, I would go the the Mark Wilsons complete course in Magic book and learn his routine. Then maybee try the Ammar material.

If you are trying to improve your misdirection (and therefore your cups & balls, I would consult consult the Ammar and Tommy Wonder videos.

I I were trying to improve my performances, I would look to David Regals and Tommy Wonders DVDs.

If you want to take a look at some very practical magic, The Patrick Page IMS video is excellent. You will learn many practical tricks, including the Cups & Balls

Choose well and enjoy the journey,

Mike
Magic is fun!!!
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
365 Posts

Thanks Mike! What a fine, considered response, and much appreciated!

ATPG
------------

davidcarlo
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of davidcarlo
Let me add to the list John Mendoza's Routined Close Up video of several years back. IMO, great, fun to perform 3 -cup routine using a chop cup as one of three cups
View Profile
Veteran user
Northern California
365 Posts

God, grant me patience.

David Carlo, what other videos have you seen so we know where you're coming from?

As I've written above at least twice, it gives us context.

Thanks for the suggestion, but I want to know your knowledge base.

Regards,
ATPG
------------

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Best Cups & Balls DVD? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL