The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is modern technology corrupting language? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
I think you may be right, MobilityBundle. Also consider that the more good writing people read, the better they tend to write themselves. But people don't read as much good literature as they used to. (Someone on this forum, in fact, recently stated that "No one reads books anymore.") Unfortunately, there is so much BAD and ungrammatical writing on the Internet in general and social media in particular, that it seems to produce the reverse effect- the more ungrammatical material people read, the worse their writing is likely to become.
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-08-19 13:38, mastermindreader wrote:
I think you may be right, MobilityBundle. Also consider that the more good writing people read, the better they tend to write themselves. But people don't read as much good literature as they used to. (Someone on this forum, in fact, recently stated that "No one reads books anymore.") Unfortunately, there is so much BAD and ungrammatical writing on the Internet in general and social media in particular, that it seems to produce the reverse effect- the more ungrammatical material people read, the worse their writing is likely to become.

Amen!

My mom had always been an exceptionally good speller. However, once she started teaching art history at a local university, her spelling acumen declined markedly. She attributes it to reading a multitude of term papers each of which contained (possibly more than) its fair share of spelling errors. Spelling is largely a visual skill: you picture a word spelled properly. Once you see it misspelled frequently, that image can override (or replace) the image of the word correctly spelled.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-08-19 04:36, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Even if you're a dinosaur, you'd be a cool T-rex Bob! Smile

:cheers:
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-08-19 12:04, mastermindreader wrote:
I wonder how a corporate planner would react to an emailed booking confirmation that is typed as follow:

"Greetz!

thank you 4 booking my show can't wait 2 per4m 4 ur group"

If I was still in the corporate world and received an email akin to that from someone seeking a job, the first thing I would do is hit the delete key.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I'm waiting to hear 4eva Infiniti's erudite take on this.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27134 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2013-08-18 23:47, Bob1Dog wrote:
How about the reader being capable of understanding the writing?

Um... I could show you examples where plaintext leaves the phonics gang in the dust looking for a cheat sheet as if they were without a clue to explore with a wiki... but I won't Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-08-19 15:23, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-19 04:36, Pakar Ilusi wrote:
Even if you're a dinosaur, you'd be a cool T-rex Bob! Smile

:cheers:

Cheers! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-08-19 17:08, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-18 23:47, Bob1Dog wrote:
How about the reader being capable of understanding the writing?

Um... I could show you examples where plaintext leaves the phonics gang in the dust looking for a cheat sheet as if they were without a clue to explore with a wiki... but I won't Smile

Good! You did the right thing. Smile

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-08-19 16:31, Tom Jorgenson wrote:
I'm waiting to hear 4eva Infiniti's erudite take on this.

Me too! Eternity has been amazingly shrinking in the expanding universe most recently. Smile

funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
8999 Posts

Profile of funsway
Many amusing thoughts here given that they perhaps relate to a de-eveolution of our culture.

One issue is the apparent "externalization" of the problem -- blaming technology for the corruption. This is like blaming the hammer for your bend nail or an ugly piece of furniture.

It seems that "people" are less concerned about grammar, spelling and "clarity of meaning" than in earlier generations. If their friends seem to understand what they are saying it is OK - right?

Then they go out ant attempt to get a good job and are dismayed/betrayed to learn that their boss does consider that proper language is important (along with being able to write a decent paragraph and do math in your head).

Yes, I am sure that in just a couple of years a law will be passed that requires an employer to hire a certain number of illiterate people (Language Disabled) and perhaps allow them to bring a "Service Senior" along to help them communicate effectively.

As a landlord of several properties I now sit down with potential tenants an read each line item of the Rental Agreement out loud as it is electronically recorded. They have to initial each line item before a witness. Why? Because otherwise they later claim that they "did not understand" what they were signing. Even then any concept that they are accountable for what they have signed is "beyond comprehension" too.

I had a recent applicate announce it was not his fault he could not read the Rental Agreement. "His school did not have enough computers to go around and still used books!"

"Is modern technology corrupting language?" Nope -- but people are.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at Lybary.com * questions at funsway@eversway.com
satellite23
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of satellite23
Quote:
On 2013-08-19 13:38, mastermindreader wrote:

Side note here: I've been noticing more and more bad writing in marketed books and newspapers recently! And it make me wonder why I CAN'T get a novel published work work for a newspaper when I clearly think I have better writing skills and spend more time correcting my obvious errors. It just makes no sense.

Take note: I'm a very sloppy internet writer. But when I'm actually writing for a good purpose, I spend time to make sur eI'm doing it correctly.
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Met oo.
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5828 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
No, modern technology is not corrupting language. It is but a tool. It can be used intelligently, or lazily. There are far greater social reasons why younger generations are lazy and feel entitled without working for it.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Well said.

frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
It just drives me nuts when I hear people talking in acranym and it's happening everywhere. Bank of Montreal is now just BMO (pronounced bee mo) which I think is just silly . But I don't necessarily think technology is necessarily the culperate as it is just laziness .
S2000magician
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorba Linda, CA
3469 Posts

Profile of S2000magician
Quote:
On 2013-08-20 16:18, frankvomit wrote:
It just drives me nuts when I hear people talking in acranym and it's happening everywhere. Bank of Montreal is now just BMO (pronounced bee mo) which I think is just silly . But I don't necessarily think technology is necessarily the culperate as it is just laziness .

That's hilarious.
frankvomit
View Profile
Elite user
485 Posts

Profile of frankvomit
Yeah I'm waiting to see how far it's going to go before we start to de-evolve.
Andrew Zuber
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles, CA
2658 Posts

Profile of Andrew Zuber
Quote:

I've noticed this with a lot of things. The National Geographic Channel is now Nat Geo, for example. I guess typing all of those extra letters is too costly.

For the record, I LOATHE "text speak." U for you, 2 for too, ur for you're...I've stopped emailing and texting some friends because of that. If they can't take the time to type properly to me, I have no interest in communicating with them. It's laziness and I find it ridiculous and childish.
"I'm sorry - if you were right, I would agree with you." -Robin Williams, Awakenings
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-08-20 17:42, Andrew Zuber wrote:
Quote:

I've noticed this with a lot of things. The National Geographic Channel is now Nat Geo, for example. I guess typing all of those extra letters is too costly.

For the record, I LOATHE "text speak." U for you, 2 for too, ur for you're...I've stopped emailing and texting some friends because of that. If they can't take the time to type properly to me, I have no interest in communicating with them. It's laziness and I find it ridiculous and childish.

AMEN!

mastermindreader
View Profile
V.I.P.
Seattle, WA
12589 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Foreva infiniti has been remarkably silent lately. (Or shouldn't that be "4eva infiniti?"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Is modern technology corrupting language? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL