The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dance Floors of death... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
One of the hardest things in Performing is finding venue when you arrive that has the dance floor between you and the stage..Oh Great-tough to make contact with audience
Having come across many functions where this has happened I now leave the stage
and perform right into the crowd-for the whole act-Love to hear similar stories..

pic below is of audience enjoying end of routine-same size of crowd is also to the left just out of sight
so angles were tough but show went really well...

Cheers

Click here to view attached image.
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Sounds like you played your hand well. I've been in that situation before, many times.

Typical... Arrive at the gig to find that a band or DJ has "eaten" the entire stage, forcing me to work on the dance floor in front. Not the best situation because in a large room, those seated at the back have no chance of seeing the show unless they leave their seats. All you can do is hold things higher and play to the first few rows, making comments to the back row from time to time. You just hope the mood of those up front carries to the back rows.

In another venue, the room was extremely large, although the estimated audience was maybe only 500-600, less than half the room capacity. There was a sufficiently large stage with plenty of height, but there was also a HUGE dance floor between them and me. The closest tables were at least 50 feet away!! No chance to work on the dance floor because all lighting was directed at the stage. To have requested the house lights up would have killed the room ambiance. Needless to say, visibility couldn't have been much worse in dense fog.

Not exactly a dance floor issue, but... In one place, I came in to set up only to find that the stage was centered along a long wall of a shotgun room. This was in spite of my instructions made long before. We had been hired to do illusions, so our backdrop was to be situated several feet forward from the back of the stage in order to allow us room behind. Unfortunately, this meant that many of the tables were positioned left and right, with many of them behind the curtain line. I became a diva that night and made the banquet crew re-configure the entire room. Show went great, audience loved it... hotel crew hated me. Oh, well...
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
The situation can be remedied by requesting a stage be set up in your performance agreement. Also requesting a free standing microphone.

The other thing that is helpful is to send a suggested floor set up of the best performing situation. One professional magician here in town, sends out a suggested room setup of the tables and stage for best viewing.

They don't always take the suggestion, but at least you gave them an option.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
AND Don't forger about all those venues where the band or DJ is set up behind you and they don't take a break. The times where you ate stuck actually sharing the stage with the DJ Even Though You told thembthst you couldn't.

"You must inspect what you expect"
That means you have to be the first one to arrive to claim your territory.

Once I showed-up to a glass-enclosed clubhouse. The windows turned into mirrors as soon as the sun went down. But since I got there first... No one noticed that all the candles were removed from the tables, lit at sundown, and placed directly against the wall of glass. This action illuminated the glass just enough do they weren't mirrors. There was no way to go-around and take the candles from the tables once that people had arrived and claimed their seat.
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
883 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
I agree, Jay. I tend to be "Mr. Contingency", so it is just a normal part of my character to be one of the first people in the venue. This has gotten me out of nearly every potential bad situation as mentioned above.

The worst I ever experienced was a convention show where one of the members horned in after dinner to "show a few slides" which turned out to be 45+ minutes of pictures of his deployment in Desert Storm (which tells you how long ago this was). When the lights came up there was the fasted exodus from a room I have ever seen. There were nine tired people left in the room to watch me; three in the front row, three along the side wall, and three in the back row. Weirdest configuration I've ever seen.

But I'm never afraid to tell the person in charge about what I can and cannot deal with. I will accommodate as much as I can, but the parts that I cannot I stand firm on (in a polite manner) and I've never gotten any trouble.
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2013-08-19 06:44, jay leslie wrote:
AND Don't forger about all those venues where the band or DJ is set up behind you and they don't take a break. The times where you ate stuck actually sharing the stage with the DJ Even Though You told thembthst you couldn't.

"You must inspect what you expect"
That means you have to be the first one to arrive to claim your territory.

Once I showed-up to a glass-enclosed clubhouse. The windows turned into mirrors as soon as the sun went down. But since I got there first... No one noticed that all the candles were removed from the tables, lit at sundown, and placed directly against the wall of glass. This action illuminated the glass just enough do they weren't mirrors. There was no way to go-around and take the candles from the tables once that people had arrived and claimed their seat.

Really interesting stories from you all..
Thank you

As Jay also mentions I try & get there first but the band at times has hogged most space,the candles in windows story-excellent!!!
and a few times Ive been told theres no other acts only to arrive and find other acts-
usually a last minute dance troup or 3 piece band etc...

doesn't happen a lot this dance floor problem but some cabaret/clubs don't want tables of people on the dance floor after we suggest
to move the audience closer etc..they hate scratches etc...

Cheers
Brent McLeod
View Profile
Inner circle
1792 Posts

Profile of Brent McLeod
Quote:
On 2013-08-19 00:44, Michael Baker wrote:
Sounds like you played your hand well. I've been in that situation before, many times.

Typical... Arrive at the gig to find that a band or DJ has "eaten" the entire stage, forcing me to work on the dance floor in front. Not the best situation because in a large room, those seated at the back have no chance of seeing the show unless they leave their seats. All you can do is hold things higher and play to the first few rows, making comments to the back row from time to time. You just hope the mood of those up front carries to the back rows.

In another venue, the room was extremely large, although the estimated audience was maybe only 500-600, less than half the room capacity. There was a sufficiently large stage with plenty of height, but there was also a HUGE dance floor between them and me. The closest tables were at least 50 feet away!! No chance to work on the dance floor because all lighting was directed at the stage. To have requested the house lights up would have killed the room ambiance. Needless to say, visibility couldn't have been much worse in dense fog.

Not exactly a dance floor issue, but... In one place, I came in to set up only to find that the stage was centered along a long wall of a shotgun room. This was in spite of my instructions made long before. We had been hired to do illusions, so our backdrop was to be situated several feet forward from the back of the stage in order to allow us room behind. Unfortunately, this meant that many of the tables were positioned left and right, with many of them behind the curtain line. I became a diva that night and made the banquet crew re-configure the entire room. Show went great, audience loved it... hotel crew hated me. Oh, well...

Michael-Great stories..have encountered Bands many times full stage with all the cords etc
running through your area at the front..
Luckily also a ew times some clubs have moved all the tables onto the dance floor and ar right by the stage-we even moved them
to help the staff and afterwards moved them all back..but the show worked with the close audience..
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Dance Floors of death... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL