The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A Deal Too Good to Pass Up!!! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1959 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I wonder if Danny has used these services or knows of people who successfully have, or if he is just vouching for Eatonmagic in general and not these services.
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
724 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Wow! Where to start?

First of all, it seems clear that a LOT of you are CLEARLY lost. If it is indeed due to a lack of explaining on my part, I sincerely apologize.

I guess when you have a company and meeting clients and showing them in person is a lot different than trying to explain it in a forum with those whom have never used it.

I'll try to be brief here:

The simplest way to break it down is to say that the services I offer help businesses..

• Target their ideal client
• Capture valuable information that can be used to convert them into buying customers
• Maintain a relationship by building engagement via social networking
• The ability to sell products and services directly through Facebook.

I am VERY careful with what I try to share on the Café due to the fact that I don't like giving away free information. I know that some people have no problem with that but my feeling is that if you have valuable information don't give it away for free. I have tried to make an exception by giving away a way I recently helped a magician push his book. Here is the link for those interested:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=44&10

In regards to the printed materials and packages I offered, NO those are NOT a monthly deal. Those are one-time offers. I even said it's a Café special and I reduced the prices. And AGAIN, if you bothered to read the very bottom of the original post, it even says that the only way I'll give away pricing information is by sending me a private message! At least 40 or so of you read that section and many more missed it.

My attempts were only to weed out those who aren't interested in building their business or wanting to invest their time or their money. I would LOVE to just be able to give away free information and not pay any bills but unfortunately that's not the way my life works.

Last October I started a relationship with a company that offered the technology to create custom third-party applications inside of Facebook. I bill businesses on a monthly basis because I myself have to pay a monthly fee to keep the service. Since I have a background in design, I make the pages and lay it out according to what my clients needs are.

I opened up only 20 spots for magicians at a reduced rate to basically get my feet wet and I filled those within a couple months. I just wanted to become familiar with the system and after watching several training video on how the system worked, I thought to myself "This would be a great tool for magicians" since by our very nature we are social people and our practice involves being social. So why not do business through a social network?

I read Bazinga's comments above regarding the pages I have done for Eric and others. My only response was that different ideas were used depending on what they needed. At the time, Eric was about to release his new Liberty DVD so I thought Facebook would be a great way to pre-sell and hype it because Eric has a HUGE following of people on Facebook. So why not tale advantage of that immediate connection and sell the DVD directly inside of his FB page. As for his website, I designed that a LONG time ago and believe me, I have been BEGGING Eric to do an overhaul on that thing but I'm pretty sure that as most of those here on the Café have found out, while Eric is a great magician and teacher, he is nearly IMPOSSIBLE to get ahold of. Apparently he doesn't see the need for a new website even though his popularity has tripled from 5 years ago and my advise was to heavily rebrand his image. he went from wearing jerseys at conventions to nice suits and started taking himself more seriously so why not his website and branding?

In regards to the KY Magic Dinner Theater, he wanted to drive sales to the dinner show. Again, his website isn;t the most attractive so I wanted to provide a nice looking Facebook presence to help build his following of fans and also allow him to sell tickets to the show directly on FB where the pages looked nice instead to the awful looking website.

(Note: I'm trying to look above and reply to each topic or question each of you posted. My apologies for skipping around. I do have a mild form of ADD but I'm hoping not to confuse any of you with these answers)

OK, so Bill I suppose has the idea I am an agency. That's not true. I'm one person that does all the design and deals with the magician. I DO have a couple friends, one of which is my business mentor (and has HEAVILY advised me to NOT post anything on here) that have helped me over the last few years. My other friend has a businesses in which he takes new businesses throughout a discovery process to help them establish what their brand is or should be. If I come across a company or individual looking to use Facebook to promote their brand I usually can consult with these gentlemen but ALL the work is done by me. Including print.

My process is like any other. I initially talk to the client and see what they are looking for. I then walk them through some ideas on how we can take advantage of Facebook and other avenues that will help them build an audience by driving people to the fan page and purchasing the service or product. I require a down payment (usually 50%) to get started on the design work which is paid ahead of time. I then present them with the artwork and listen to any changes they want done. If I feel something doesn't feel right I let them know and I explain why. A lot of people know what they WANT and not what they NEED. This is where I come in.

After the page is up, I then offer additional services such as reputation management and other upkeep work. Generally most successful business people understand it's better to work ON your business not IN your business. In most cases the reoccurring fee covers the creative posts I upload to keep engagement thriving or any offers I make upon the requests of the clients. Most of them do not have the time or understanding of Facebook and therefore pay me to do it for them. I report every week and update them on activity and what's been working and what's not. We adjust accordingly.

Also, in response to Bazinga's comment on how you David's page is set up to "like" it before viewing it, this is a technique called a "fangate" and is one of the MOST valuable toold for building your fan base. It's used by offering something to a potential client and in return, they give you a like. Again, this is ONLY relevant to someone who is INTERESTED in your offer or as in David's case, anyone that wants to view his promo video. Clearly you are NOT his desired audience and therefore you didn't bother. And that's fine. that's why it's there : )

All I can say is that most of the cases above were those magicians that I first approached. They were interested and I provided them the service. If they do not want to pay for the management services I offer, than I have no control over how they choose to use it or how often they want to promote it. That's their decision.

And the only reason Danny continues to go to bat for me is because he's a professional that actually CALLED ME and discussed what he's looking for and asked what the services were all about. In all honesty that's truly the ONLY way to explain myself clearly and not having anything lost in translation through the Café. We talked for about an hour and he obviously got it.

I hope I did a little better job this time and if not...PLEASE CALL ME!!! I do not mind talking to those interested. If you want my contact info just shoot me a PM.
Howie Diddot
View Profile
Inner circle
San Francisco & Los Angeles California
3283 Posts

Profile of Howie Diddot
Basically, if the tables were turned and I was eatonmagic, I would have presented everything he typed to me in his reply in the first post so it would already up on the forum; it’s not a secret since he typed it here.

Then instead of me having to PM eatonmagic to get his phone number, I would have liked eatonmagic to be PMing me with the secret explanation sales pitch and the phone number for me to use if I wanted; in fact if I were selling this service, I would have posted my phone number in the first post of the thread.

I guess if I agreed to become a client, I would have to continue to PM him everything and he would PM me a bill.

Nothing against you personally eatonmagic, but ease of customer service for my clients is paramount in my business and I expect my vendors to make my life easy
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
724 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2013-10-02 22:34, Howie Diddot wrote:

Then instead of me having to PM eatonmagic to get his phone number, I would have liked eatonmagic to be PMing me with the secret explanation sales pitch and the phone number for me to use if I wanted; in fact if I were selling this service, I would have posted my phone number in the first post of the thread.

Howie,

I'm sorry but how would I have known you were interested without receiving a message from you in the first place? I put the offer out and wait for the ones who are interested. If they take the time to respond to me then I'll take their time seriously and offer a consultation. I don't like putting my number out there on a forum. Some might not have a problem with it but I do. A simple phone call will answer ALL your questions.
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
Michael,

Thanks for the response. As you know, at this time the only thing I am working on is learning and filing information for when I hope to getting back into things full time. One of the things I have to learn is how to make the best use of facebook. I bought Tamar Kimmons's lecture notes and joined her group. That was helpful but I'm a long way from really getting into it.

Tell me if I'm getting this right: I see facebook as possibly surpassing Google and YouTube as the place people go to find entertainers. I'm sure many are now using it as a suppliment to Google and YouTube, so it makes sense to have a presence there. Is the potential there to consolidate a client's web site and their YouTube videos in one place: facebook?

You mentioned Kentucky Magic having a better looking facebook page than their "regular" web site. Do you see the trend to be going all on facebook and not with "regular" web sites?

I am baffled by the fangate thing. To me it seems like asking someone to pay to watch a movie trailer. But as you said, I am not in David's target audience so it's lost on me anyway. Is there a way to see how many people 'like' the page, watch the video, then 'unlike' the page - only 'liking' it to satisfy their curiosity?

I see more now what you do, and how you do it, for your clients. And I thank you for answering my questions. I started perfprming in 1972 and it was always print and mail or get on the phone marketing. I've had a web site since about 1997 I think and have gotten inquiries from it of course. But most of them were from areas so far that my fees would be many times what they could pay. (Again, small market type gigs.) I've learned a long time ago about targeting for clients. But going from "call or mail" to the internet, I need to do better at targeting for areas.

Thanks again,
Bazinga!
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
724 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
Quote:
On 2013-10-02 23:34, Bazinga wrote:
Michael,

1) I see facebook as possibly surpassing Google and YouTube as the place people go to find entertainers. I'm sure many are now using it as a suppliment to Google and YouTube, so it makes sense to have a presence there. Is the potential there to consolidate a client's web site and their YouTube videos in one place: facebook?

2) You mentioned Kentucky Magic having a better looking facebook page than their "regular" web site. Do you see the trend to be going all on facebook and not with "regular" web sites?

3) I am baffled by the fangate thing. To me it seems like asking someone to pay to watch a movie trailer. But as you said, I am not in David's target audience so it's lost on me anyway. Is there a way to see how many people 'like' the page, watch the video, then 'unlike' the page - only 'liking' it to satisfy their curiosity?

I'll try to answer these in the order they are asked:

1) I highly doubt that FB will ever surpass Google and Youtube as those are currently ranked #1 and #2. Facebook IS however the largest direct social media site with over a billion current users. In fact, I read somewhere that in some countries, more people have a FB account than own tooth brushes. Crazy! What I feel FB offers in terms of searching for businesses such as restaurants, bars, dentists, etc is that they work off of an algorithm called Edge-Rank which allows specific search criteria to be pulled in based on popularity of your friends. If you happen to search for a restaurant chances are the results will show the most popular one that is "liked" amongst your friends. And yes, you CAN bring an entire website into a Facebook page with iFrame application but you only have 810 pixels width to work with. Youtube is just ONE of the many applications I can integrate into a FB page. Paypal, Google Maps w/directions, Vimeo, Aweber and Mailchimp forms are just a few others.

2) Absolutely not! A website is critical for a business. It's WHAT your webpage is intended to do and how it's being found which is most important. A FB page offers a business the ability to stay engaged with their audience on a regular basis. I'm about ot give away another important feature of WHY I encourage entertainers to use FB. Listen up!!!

When a potential client looks at your website at 2am you have NO idea who they are. You can use analytics to show you numbers but no real personal information. A Facebook "like" however will provide you with MUCH more information that can lead to MULTIPLE streams of income. For instance, when "John Doe" likes your fan page, not only do you now have a name with a face, but also:

• Where he lives
• Where he works
• Does he have children
• Which groups is he affiliated with

These are ALL potential shows. His company's holiday party, his child's birthday party, his house may be near your weekly restaurant gig....I think you guys see where I am going with this. These are ALL things when I bring up to a magician this big, bright light bulb goes off above their head and they see the bigger picture!

Use Facebook to send traffic to your website and in return, use your website to promote special offers only available to fans. It's most effective when they work together.

3) Again, it all depends on what you're giving them in order to "like" the page. IMO I hardly ever meet someone who gives a quarter to someone and then asks for it back. People are people and there's nothing you can do to change that. I do not have an answer for that scenario but I would almost compare it to being struck by lightning. With proper targeting you shouldn't run into this problem.

Usually a quick insights report can show you stats on what activity is happening on your page and by including analytics you can track bounce rates and redirects.

Hope that helps ; )
Bazinga
View Profile
Loyal user
277 Posts

Profile of Bazinga
It helps very much indeed.

Thank you.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » A Deal Too Good to Pass Up!!! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL