The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Inferno - by Joshua Jay (32 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..10..16..22..28..34..37~38~39 [Next]
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Hey guys,

at Magic Live we could release the newest creation by Joshua Jay - Inferno!

Joshua Jay has worked for years on a seemingly-impossible goal:
a NAMED card appears in a matchbox. No deck, no riffle force, no complications. Just one card in play, inside the matchbox...the NAMED card.

Sound too good to be true? What if we told you that this effect was easy to do, easy to reset, and was entirely self-contained. You can perform without sleeves or pockets or preparation.

If you have the matchbox (included), you‘re ready to go. "Inferno" is the complete package:
you get an instructional DVD starring creator Joshua Jay, specially-printed "scorched" card,
and the matchbox.

You'll be lighting it up with "Inferno" within minutes.

Did anybody had the chance to get the effect at Magic Live? Your second opportunity will be at TAOM in Dallas TX. It will take a couple more weeks until we officially release the effect. I am really excited about this new release!
Expert in playing card production for magicians.

The Person Who Says It cannot Be Done Should Not Interrupt The Person Doing It!
Chinese Proverb
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Sounds interesting! Can't wait to hear more about this Smile
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
512 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
The effect is very nice. I picked one up at Magic Live. I have performed to much success so far but only tested in on small crowds. I really want to test it on a solid group this weekend. It is extremely well made and see no issue with it wearing it.

Ryan
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Raymond Singson
I saw this at Magic Live and felt it was a worthwhile rendition of the effect. I think the most impressive aspect of it was how streamlined the equivoque was. In less than three phases, you're efficiently (and logically) led to the selection. The equivoque sequence can easily be adapted to other think-a-card plots, but I believe Inferno artistically captures it really well.

Based upon the demo I saw, I don't think the matchbox is gaffed or specially prepared in any way. It just houses the gaffed card. It can easily be replaced with a more 'normal'-looking matchbox without adjusting the mechanics of the gimmick. I admittedly didn't purchase the effect yet as I heard rumors that changes/additions would be being made to the instructional DVD and final product, but I believe the gaffed card is of the Phoenix variety and very cleverly made.

The only gripe I had and shared with other magicians at Magic Live was that the finish on the examinable card was very peculiar. Its texture was almost "oily" to the touch...

Overall, it looks like a great item and I'm looking forward to purchasing the final product when it's commercially released.

RS.
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

raymond.singson@gmail.com
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
The only change on the effect will be that Joshua wanted to have a better demo filmed (what he already did, I am waiting for the raw videos so that we can edit it into the DVD).
The matchbox is ABSOLUTELY standard, so Josh wants the spectator to open the lid and pour out the card. There is no heat at all.

I also recommended that we translate the equivoque into different languages. So we wrote up the exact wording and will set up a link where we can add new translations once they are made. Surely this is the cleanest and well thought off equivoque I ever encountered. With the right wordings, you can even fool magicians, that was so much fun to perform.

Chinese Proverb
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2013-08-21 10:35, Raymond Singson wrote:
I saw this at Magic Live and felt it was a worthwhile rendition of the effect. I think the most impressive aspect of it was how streamlined the equivoque was. In less than three phases, you're efficiently (and logically) led to the selection. The equivoque sequence can easily be adapted to other think-a-card plots, but I believe Inferno artistically captures it really well.

Based upon the demo I saw, I don't think the matchbox is gaffed or specially prepared in any way. It just houses the gaffed card. It can easily be replaced with a more 'normal'-looking matchbox without adjusting the mechanics of the gimmick. I admittedly didn't purchase the effect yet as I heard rumors that changes/additions would be being made to the instructional DVD and final product, but I believe the gaffed card is of the Phoenix variety and very cleverly made.

The only gripe I had and shared with other magicians at Magic Live was that the finish on the examinable card was very peculiar. Its texture was almost "oily" to the touch...

Overall, it looks like a great item and I'm looking forward to purchasing the final product when it's commercially released.

RS.

As already Posted I am sorry to say I was not very impressed with Inferno by Joshua Jay.

anyone who already has On The Mark- Mark Elsdon which this effect is based on has a far better effect

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

Due to the limitations of the MO (4 v 12)

The equivoke would not fool magicians who have any interest in Mentalism, as they would know that simply the correct procedure is not followed if the spectator picks the wrong outcome from the start,

on Mark’s effect you follow the same path throughout, everything looks a lot cleaner, I do agree that the Card(s)are very "oily" to the touch...

but something is not quite right with this.
johndevacmaker
View Profile
Special user
648 Posts

Profile of johndevacmaker
I had this conversation with Christian at Magic Live and said that Mark Elsden On The Mark was far superiorand the equivoque much stronger
Inferno has limitations and slight of hand is required at the end
No slight of hand required for On the Mark
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
If you like peaches more than apples...fine. But they are hard to be compared.

The approach of "On the Mark" is a different one, the wallet can definitely not been handed out our handled by the spectator. As far as I know also the shown card needs to be controlled by the magician.

Inferno is NOT based on the effect of Mark. Josh performed this trick already for several years and replaced his presentation of an ID by Inferno.

If you like you could even compare the new clear box of David Regal with Inferno, as you see / expect a single card in a box that turns out to be the one selected by the spectator. But what Josh wants is cleaner, without the need of any palming, extra deck etc. The whole effect is self contained.

Btw, the card inside the matchbox could be of ANY condition as long as it matches the card the spectator named. Not sure what oily means, but this definitely is not the condition of the card, I produced the whole effect and know every single component.There is no misindex, double facer or anything similar. Just the card that can be handed out. It could have been a handwritten note, the impossibility would still be exactly the same. I want to see the spectator that will say: "Oh, I said the 10 of Hearts and that IS the 10 of Hearts (and nothing else), but the card looks oily."

The matchbox can be in the hands of the spectator all the time. The card is named. The spectator HIMSELF opens the lid and pours out the content. How cleaner can it get? There is no switch envolved, the magician can ONLY carry this matchbox and he is prepared and can perform in a t-shirt.

Chinese Proverb
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3066 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I saw this at magic live and I think laypeople would find this entertaining. I noticed the unusuall "feel" of the card as well. I did not ask Joshua so I don't know but the card felt treated or plastic coated in some way I assume so it would last through many performances. I don't know if a layperson would notice it or connect it to method in anyway.
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Raymond Singson
Card-Shark,

First off, let me preface this by saying that I'm a fan of the work you produce, and I have a couple bricks of your products. Haha.

With that, I wanted to touch base on certain things. I wholy agree with you; I feel that Inferno is arguably superior in EFFECT than Mark Elsdon's On the Mark. Everything you claimed with regards to effect is absolutely true. The equivoque is structured and written very well. In fact, a couple of my friends revisited the Vanishing Inc booth just to explore the script's different options and endings, and we were all impressed with how free and clean the equivoque felt. Personally, I have a heavy interest in mentalism, and I really appreciated how the necessary equivoque the structured and handled. I made sure I saw the worst case scenario, and I was still pleased with the end result of the effect.

The finish on the card is purely preferential. As magicians, we all "know" what normal playing cards feel like. I don't believe the finish of the card detracts from the overall effect in any way, but I assume it assists in its handling. From a magician's perspective, it definitely felt different in both texture and thickness, and although that shouldn't (and won't) matter to a lay audience, I think it's worth noting for prospective buyers of the effect.

In my opinion, to say there is no switch in the effect is partially misleading. You're accurate in that a foreign item is not surreptitiously introduced into play while another item is taken out... BUT there is a 'weak' moment in the effect that requires the same choreography of a switch. Otherwise, the spectator would be able to dump the card from the matchbox and unfold it herself. As far as I gathered, this isn't the case. Strictly speaking, there is no SWITCH, but for all intents and purposes of potential consumers, there's definitely a moment (which honestly only lasts a fraction of a second in performance) that requires the same amount of technique, misdirection, and confidence to properly execute.

Again, I believe Inferno is a winner of a product. I think the majority of magicians that buy it will be really happy with it. I just believe they deserve to know what they're legitimately getting without the excessive marketing claims or biases (or blatant exposure, obviously).

RS.
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

raymond.singson@gmail.com
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Yes, you are right. I really hope that I will get the new video material very soon, so that we can upload and publish a proper demo. We will show a complete performance, nothing cut out, no hyping, no shouting spectators, fancy cuts, etc. You will see what you will get.

I think this is what Card-Shark is also standing for: you always see upfront, what you will get. Usually there are no surprises, and if, then always in a positive way. Smile

Chinese Proverb
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
On The Mark this is how the Effect Plays Out :

Mark: 'I have one card in this wallet...is it a number card or court card?'

Todd: 'Court card'

Mark: 'It is a court card....is it red or black?'

Todd: 'Black'

Mark: 'It is a black card...clubs or spades?'

Todd: 'Spades'

Mark: 'It is a spade....which court card?'

Todd: 'Queen of spades'

Mark: 'It is the queen of spades'

He then proceeded to open the wallet and take out en envelope which contained the queen of spades.

That is exactly how it played out and how clean it is.

Even if Number is selected same procedure is followed

Don't Take my word for it see

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=15&90

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simply Put Inferno Does not follow this Path if the wrong card is selected from the Start

As for David Regal Effect while this is very good no way you could perform this effect with his Box , Christian is very good a putting up a few smoke screens but some of his claims are simply not true !
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Still apples and peaches as we say in Germany. Not sure if you have the same saying.

We can also Heirloom or Kolossal Killer to the list. There are a lot of approaches out there over the years using envelopes, wallets etc.
Many ways for outs.

As far as I know there was never anything so small envolved where no preparation is needed. With preparation I mean the "get Ready" to perform effects like David Regal's box, Tommy Wonder's Elisabeth IV, Kennedy's Box. I don't want to give away the method here, when I compare effects, then there are two ways to compare an effect:

What is the method?
How does the effect appear for a spectator?

While an effect may seem similar for a spectator, the method used can be more devious, cleaner, less sleights envolved etc. What may work for one person, does not have to work for another one.

Chinese Proverb
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
Still apples and peaches as we say in Germany. Not sure if you have the same saying.

In US it's apples vs oranges. Or Apple vs Samsung if you want a high tech pun. Smile
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
Card-Shark
View Profile
Inner circle
Germany
1758 Posts

Profile of Card-Shark
Thanks for the info, I am still trying to improve my english (as it is NOT my mother language).

Btw, I forgot to mention: I could convince Josh to include TWO versions, one ends clean, the other is using no sleights. Everybody can choose his preferred method.

I liked to perform the clean version, while Bizzaro, who worked at our booth as well, always used the version without sleights. And he never got caught. So it is up to you, both are well explained on the DVD.

Chinese Proverb
Martin.Lester
View Profile
Inner circle
1015 Posts

Profile of Martin.Lester
Quote:
On 2013-08-21 12:09, Raymond Singson wrote:
Card-Shark,

In my opinion, to say there is no switch in the effect is partially misleading. You're accurate in that a foreign item is not surreptitiously introduced into play while another item is taken out... BUT there is a 'weak' moment in the effect that requires the same choreography of a switch. Otherwise, the spectator would be able to dump the card from the matchbox and unfold it herself. As far as I gathered, this isn't the case. Strictly speaking, there is no SWITCH, but for all intents and purposes of potential consumers, there's definitely a moment (which honestly only lasts a fraction of a second in performance) that requires the same amount of technique, misdirection, and confidence to properly execute.

RS.

This is why I like On The Mark , simply Put there is NO Switch or Palming Required AT ALL !

especially when the Heat / Focus is on the time this takes place
Doctor D
View Profile
Special user
563 Posts

Profile of Doctor D
Yes, Martin, we get it, you prefer Mark Elsdon's effect. They're two different products, they both have their merits. You've stated your opinion, it's there for all to read, now please allow people to make up their own minds.
JackMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1986 Posts

Profile of JackMagic
I think it's good that someone has spoken out , as too many products are out which are esentually the same and in many cases are a backwood step, I personally can not see any advantage this offers over what has already been out in the market , same as hotel which is another variation of Peter N Director's Cut

As for David Regal Clear box , same as Kenedy Box but clear so can see what the improvement is ,

This CS effect can't see anything that improves over others that are already out , I guess everyone wants the latest effect , to the lay person it looks the same
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3058 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Picked this up at Magic Live and love it. I have used many versions of KK including On the Mark but really like this approach and presentation. Well done!

John
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2013-08-21 15:29, JackMagic wrote:
I think it's good that someone has spoken out , as too many products are out which are esentually the same and in many cases are a backwood step, I personally can not see any advantage this offers over what has already been out in the market , same as hotel which is another variation of Peter N Director's Cut

I can see a big advantage that this just uses a matchbox instead of a wallet.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Inferno - by Joshua Jay (32 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..10..16..22..28..34..37~38~39 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL