The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » New Year/Old year reflections. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
At this time of year, I always look over my shows and my performing in the last year and see what improvements I can make.

Does anyone else use this reflective idea?

I know for this year, I have also had a lot of input from folks here as well as my own reflections and have gotten a lot of changes planned for next year, such as a more focused approach to WHO my audience/market is.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Mike Robbins
View Profile
Elite user
Anchorage, Alaska
447 Posts

Profile of Mike Robbins
Yeah, I sit down and review my performance goals for the last year and make up new ones for the new. I look at what I want to do creatively and also look at the marketing aspect.

Mike
The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare
Anabelle
View Profile
Special user
951 Posts

Profile of Anabelle
I do this too, even though I don't perform as a pro and instead perform pretty much anywhere anytime whenever I get the chance. I love it! I have a few ideas that I've been working with for a while and I plan to write them down, so I am thinking a lot about how I've been performing and how I can do these better. I wish you guys awesome success this coming year!

Anabelle Smile
Magicjohnathon
View Profile
Regular user
Oakdale, CA.
122 Posts

Profile of Magicjohnathon
I videotape all my shows. This allows me to see what the audience sees. Not to mention I am my own toughest critic, and I'm always making improvements. Although I do this a lot more often than most magicians, because I'm very critical when it comes to my shows. I'm just a serious perfectionist! (((POOF!)))

Smile
"If at first you don't succeed! Than skydiving is definately not for you"!
Magically Johnathon Marshall
Emily Belleranti
View Profile
Veteran user
Tucson, Arizona
349 Posts

Profile of Emily Belleranti
Hi Neale,

I've actually never tried doing this, but I like the idea and I think it would help me, even though I am only an amateur.

I often reflect on my performances and where I am/where I am going in magic, but I've never actually sat down at the end of the year and reflected on my work.

I think it would do me some good to make some specific goals for the coming year.

Thanks for the idea!

Emily Belleranti
"If you achieve success, you will get applause, and if you get applause, you will hear it. My advice to you concerning applause is this: Enjoy it, but never quite believe it."

-Robert Montgomery
El_Lamo
View Profile
Special user
Canada
589 Posts

Profile of El_Lamo
I keep a magic journal.

Date, venue, audience, set routine, good, bad, ugly, ideas for improvement, jokes/patter to work on, leads, prospects, follow-ups, etc.

If I did something for another time (loaded a card etc.), I make a note of it.

Cheers - El Lamo
Life is a system of circumstance presented coincidently in an illusory way.
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
I need to be darker, maybe a bit scarier. Smile
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6732 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On 2003-12-19 01:38, dpe666 wrote:
I need to be darker, maybe a bit scarier. Smile

Easy... start a Gigli fan club... that's pretty scary. Smile
Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Magicjohnathon
View Profile
Regular user
Oakdale, CA.
122 Posts

El_Lamo brought up keeping a magic journal, which I agree is the best way to keep track of ideas. Kinda like keeping score on your best and worst shows. I too have a magic journal. My goal is to keep my magic bright and cheerful; I want people to leave my shows feeling positive about magic shows, and magicians. Best of times to all.

Smile
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
What is Gigli? Smile
Magicjohnathon
View Profile
Regular user
Oakdale, CA.
122 Posts

I own a video store.
To answer dpe666's question, Gigli is a sorry little movie starring Jennifer Lopez and Ben Affleck.
((Poof)) Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » New Year/Old year reflections. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL