We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Clarity Box vs Lightning Box (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1079 Posts

Profile of taller8
It kind of reminds me of using the Extractor with a 'signed card to envelope' wallet.
It just seems impossible, and the gaffs make it look so clean.

I can see the Clarity box 'feeling crazy impossible' to the specs too.

It really does take an exceptional gaff to pull of feats of magic like this, if you were doing a signed card effect, and
it will be interesting to hear what the reactions are after its been used in the real world.
Shadowmoor
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of Shadowmoor
Mr. Regal's stuff is always show-worthy and clever and if you're in the market for such a device pre-ordering should be a no-brainer!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10636 Posts

Profile of saysold1
No need to pre-order - buy directly from David.

My order was sent out same day and arrived priority mail 2 days later. Real Regal Magic.

http://davidregal.com/david-regals-clarity-box/
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Daren
View Profile
Inner circle
1948 Posts

Profile of Daren
I ordered mine from the uk on Monday received on the Friday
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
I'm sure this product is very good and has its place for the right circumstances and routines but to say it is an improvement is a real stretch.

As David Regal has said the effect was originally developed by Bruno Hennig. It was later taught to Fred Kaps who popularized it. I saw Fred Kaps perform it at a 1977 SAM convention. He fooled an entire room of magicians and to me this one effect was easily the highlight of the convention. Fred Kaps used a small innocent looking cardboard box slightly gaffed. No one would have suspected the box had anything to do with the effect. Later Scotty York used it as a running gag type of effect where a signed card was repeatedly shown inside his pocket watch. One of my favorite performances of this effect was when I saw Tommy Wonder doing it as a climax to his incredible ambitious card routine. He had a great subtlety using a wooden box that he built. His routine is truly a masterpiece.

I've been doing effects using this principle for over 35 years(since seeing Fred Kaps perform it). I've used it for card to impossible location as well as mentalism predictions. I've used it for walk around as well as stage and I've always used a simple cardboard box of some sort. I go out of my way to make sure my box does not look like a magic store prop. No fancy designs for me.

I will tell you that after years of using this principle under almost every conceivable circumstance no one has ever asked to see the box and I don't believe anyone has even suspected it. When I do a signed and folded card to box the first thing the spectators do is quickly unfold the card. The second thing they do is scream. The third thing they sometimes do is go through the deck to see if their signed card is still there. No one goes for the box or asks to see the box. There is absolutely no heat on the box.

So, while I can see some of these boxes being justified for a particular routine I think to say they are an improvement is simply not correct. I prefer my boxes to be psychologically invisible and I don't want to call any undue attention to them. While there may be good reasons to use a fancier or a clear box I think it would be wrong to call it an improvement. I personally prefer the box I saw Fred Kaps use 35 years ago which looked like an ordinary cheap cardboard box which no one would have guessed was part of the method used.

Just because someone comes up with a new box doesn't mean it's an improvement over the original. David Regal should be commended for his creativity and fine products and ideas that he has produced over the years but let's not forget the originators. Often their products were better than the so called improvements of today.
Steve
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
I'm sure this product is very good and has its place for the right circumstances and routines but to say it is an improvement is a real stretch.

As David Regal has said the effect was originally developed by Bruno Hennig. It was later taught to Fred Kaps who popularized it. I saw Fred Kaps perform it at a 1977 SAM convention. He fooled an entire room of magicians and to me this one effect was easily the highlight of the convention. Fred Kaps used a small innocent looking cardboard box slightly gaffed. No one would have suspected the box had anything to do with the effect. Later Scotty York used it as a running gag type of effect where a signed card was repeatedly shown inside his pocket watch. One of my favorite performances of this effect was when I saw Tommy Wonder doing it as a climax to his incredible ambitious card routine. He had a great subtlety using a wooden box that he built. His routine is truly a masterpiece.

I've been doing effects using this principle for over 35 years(since seeing Fred Kaps perform it). I've used it for card to impossible location as well as mentalism predictions. I've used it for walk around as well as stage and I've always used a simple cardboard box of some sort. I go out of my way to make sure my box does not look like a magic store prop. No fancy designs for me.

I will tell you that after years of using this principle under almost every conceivable circumstance no one has ever asked to see the box and I don't believe anyone has even suspected it. When I do a signed and folded card to box the first thing the spectators do is quickly unfold the card. The second thing they do is scream. The third thing they sometimes do is go through the deck to see if their signed card is still there. No one goes for the box or asks to see the box. There is absolutely no heat on the box.

So, while I can see some of these boxes being justified for a particular routine I think to say they are an improvement is simply not correct. I prefer my boxes to be psychologically invisible and I don't want to call any undue attention to them. While there may be good reasons to use a fancier or a clear box I think it would be wrong to call it an improvement. I personally prefer the box I saw Fred Kaps use 35 years ago which looked like an ordinary cheap cardboard box which no one would have guessed was part of the method used.

Just because someone comes up with a new box doesn't mean it's an improvement over the original. David Regal should be commended for his creativity and fine products and ideas that he has produced over the years but let's not forget the originators. Often their products were better than the so called improvements of today.
Steve
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
792 Posts

Profile of David Regal
Thanks for saying all you said. I bend over backwards to give credit to Mr. Hennig, as he does indeed deserve it, and I do not call what I have accomplished an improvement - my box simply has some clear (no pun intended) differences, attributes that will be very useful for some plots, and not for others.

For the right plot, my wrinkle will certainly open doors.
Steve Suss
View Profile
Inner circle
1193 Posts

Profile of Steve Suss
David your honesty is appreciated. Sometimes I am dismayed when someone comes out with a new product and people refer to it as though it was totally original or an improvement. The trick is now called the Kennedy box or Lightning box and younger performers have no clue as to the origination. I hope your product does very well and I'm sure it is very good as are most of your products(I own several). I just like to make sure that credit is given to some of the giants who have inspired us. You do give credit but that is not always the case by others. My point was just because someone comes out with a new gadget doesn't mean it is better or original. This was in no way meant to disparage your product but was to set the record straight with some of the members who think the best box is a simple black or white issue. You should buy it because it fits what you are trying to do and not because it is the newest thing.
Steve
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10636 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Steve's history and opinions are all very helpful.

Whether Clarity Box turns out to be an improvement or not will ultimately be judged by audience reactions and performances. Anything else is conjecture.

David does go into a great deal of history of this effect with photos of Bruno and an admission that clarity box may be right for so e situations but not others.

David isn't the first one to take on this idea and probably wont be the last.

I think it's a winner. It's not fancy - it's clear and clean - modern.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1815 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
The PLOT idea that David Regal describes in his post regarding "Letting the box just sit there for 20 minutes with a card in it on the edge of the table throughout the show" is pretty darned good theatre, in my opinion, for a close up show or other intimate environment. Perhaps, with the right scripting, it could possibly be good for platform.

Let's face it.....how many of us SPEND A LIFETIME IN MAGIC looking to find new, better and STRONGER ways to reveal a card?

I must confess........I'm one of those guys....

I never bought a David Regal prop until recently, when I purchased his Linking Ring Project....when I showed the Koran Unlink to my friend Dick Oslund, Dick went "WOW!".

Dick doesn't go "WOW!" often....

I LIKE David Regal's thinking, and the quality and value that goes into manufacturing of the props he is making....so I will definitely look further into his clarity box as I can see it being "another tool" for my arsenal of "WOW Stuff!"

I will be at the Houdini Club of Wisconsin convention next weekend in Madison, and if one of the dealers there has this, I want to take a look at it.............
Gaz Lawrence
View Profile
Inner circle
5002 Posts

Profile of Gaz Lawrence
I disagree with Steve on this one , Fred Kaps version I am sure would have been perfect way back then , but in the modern age I think a card board box would look more suspicious than David Regals prop IMO . Punters expect you as a magician to have your own cards etc and you are a performing artist on a gig so you are entitled to have props . Agreed if you are going round the mother in laws a card box will do but paying customers don't think there is anything dodgy about having some props . Therefore IMO this is an improvement even if it is for the fact the box is clear .
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1082 Posts

Profile of tdowell
Clarity looks really good, especially the card pouring out. My order is in as well.
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5339 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
I set mine up for a folded bill - I want to work on my Mercury fold for a few weeks. I have a decent Mercury fold but I'd like it to be better. In the meantime - I really love the "gypsy" angle! (I do Romani really well... IMO anyway!) I am really enjoying myself with this box! I think - now that I have the Clarity Box - that using a clear box is a stroke of genius. The visual illusion of the object falling out of the box into your hand is masterful! Just that aspect alone makes this box a treat!

Thanks!

Jim
taller8
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, Washington
1079 Posts

Profile of taller8
This is one of the better products I've bought in a long time.

I already love the card in box plot, but the versatility along with the clear box diplay is what separates it for me.

The extra gaff, the extra stickers, and the explanation of repairing and cleaning was a great addition.

Great stuff.
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
I have a prop called the "Crystal Switch Box". It is a clear plastic box on a red ribbon. You can place a folded-up playing card into the Crystal Switch Box and then place the box around the spectator's neck. While doing this, the magician causes the box to "operate" which basically switches the card for another one, unbeknownst to the spectator. It seems to me that this Clarity Box is sort of the same principle, I think. I know that with the Crystal Switch Box, there is no need to palm anything or otherwise engage in any sleight-of-hand because the dirty work is done inside the box as it's being put around the spectator's neck for safe-keeping. Is the Clarity Box the same principle (i.e. no sleights needed)? It seems to me that a particular sleight is needed once the Clarity Box is turned over and its contents dumped out. Any clarification would be helpful. Thanks.
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2578 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Different trick
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
Steven Conner
View Profile
Inner circle
2578 Posts

Profile of Steven Conner
Different trick
"The New York Papers," Mark Twain once said,"have long known that no large question is ever really settled until I have been consulted; it is the way they feel about it, and they show it by always sending to me when they get uneasy. "
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
792 Posts

Profile of David Regal
We can't discuss methods here, but I believe I can say this:

The Clarity Box is Bruno Hennig's "card to ring box," done with a clear box as opposed to an opaque box. Needless to say, the Hennig trick is considered one of the single best effects/methods in all of card magic - I've simply contributed a wrinkle that has some utility.

In the past, the Hennig effect has only been done with an opaque box due to an element of the method. Having a clear box opens up some plots that were not options in the past. For example:

A visitor comes to your home and sees a folded playing card in a little clear showcase sitting on your deck, or on a shelf. He inquires about it and you say you keep it for emergencies. You have him select and sign a card, then attempt to find it, and fail. You go to the little clear box and dump out the card - it is his signed selection.

That plot is made possible due to the fact the container is clear. Other plots might not require a clear container, but countless plots can indeed make use of this quality.

So, while the prop itself is, I think, physically lovely, and the gimmick is nifty, the only difference between The Clarity Box and Hennig's classic effect is the fact that I came up with a way to make the container clear. The illusion is enhanced, but there would be no illusion at all without Bruno Hennig.
Wizard of Oz
View Profile
Inner circle
Most people wish I didn't have
5542 Posts

Profile of Wizard of Oz
Just put my money where my mouth is. Can't wait.
I love your site design David...very clean and contemporary looking.
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.
ahofer
View Profile
New user
Ossining, New York
92 Posts

Profile of ahofer
Got this yesterday, love it. I have a different presentation idea...

I've been doing Daniel Garcia's TORN for a long time, and have always had the spec sign the face of the card (instead of the back) before tearing in quarters and restoring it piece by piece. Clarity Box could be a great finale, and guess what? The card's ALREADY folded in quarters at the end of the restoration.

Two ideas...

1) retrieve card from spec's examination after restoration, then burn it to ashes and explain it's truly an indestructible card. Try to restore card again from ashes, but FAIL. The ashes are just ashes. Sweep ashes away, and explain that the failure is an "emergency"... Retrieve original signed card from box, proving that it really WAS indestructible Smile

2) force original card and have dup of force card folded already. Forced card is folded, signed, torn, restored, and handed out for exam. Card is retrieved from spec, and tossed on table folded. Box opened and card within removed and tossed on other end of table. Spec is asked if they'd be surprised if card in box could have predicted their original "free" selection. Spec is asked to put their hand on top of signed card and rub it against the table for a moment, then unfold it again to show audience and remind them once more which card it was. When opened, card is the same but the signature has VANISHED. Card from box is opened, and found that the signature has magically moved to the card that was in plain view in the box the whole time Smile

Just a couple of first-day ideas. This box has so many possibilities!

Thanks for sending so quickly, David!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » Clarity Box vs Lightning Box (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL