The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hatfields and McCoys (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

Profile of General_Magician
I was watching on the History Channel about how some kind of liquor company was trying to get the Hatfields and McCoys to agree to use their name for some kind of liquor (I think it was moonshine, but I thought moonshine was illegal). Anyway, they gave a history of the feud and it was just a senseless feud and nobody won and the only guy to be hung over the feud turned out to be innocent of the charges he was convicted of! That just didn't make any sense at all did it? So it was just a waste of emotional energy, blood and lives. And these folks, they still don't get along till this day! They still feud! Still don't get along over a 100 years later!
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I knew a Hatfield descendant. Chess player.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Actually, they get along fine nowadays. Don't believe the hype. Several years ago modern descendants of both families appeared together on the game show, Family Feud.
TomBoleware
View Profile
Inner circle
Hattiesburg, Ms
3174 Posts

Profile of TomBoleware
Sort of like some Café members, it's just in the blood to fight. Smile

Yeah a lot of it probably is hype nowadays.

I think some of the name moonshines has gone legal with it and it's a big hit.

I'm sure the filled mason jar type containers sell well as novelty items.

Tom
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-08-22 14:25, mastermindreader wrote:
Actually, they get along fine nowadays. Don't believe the hype.

I've read and seen a lot about the original feud, but I can't bring myself to watch this (most likely heavily scripted) "reality" show. I saw the commercial where they were arguing and I'm just not buying it. These people are in the alcohol, and the entertainment business, together. I'm just not buying the whole "bad blood" thing.

It's legal to produce moonshine (moonshine meaning un-aged whiskey as opposed to illegal whiskey) in several states now.
General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

It wouldn't surprise me if it is just hype to get ratings for the TV show. But you never know. Seemed like that feud was pretty serious at the time it took place and the bad blood could have continued over the generations. Heck, the feud even got so bad that it sucked in two states into a legal and political dispute (I think it was either West Virginia or Virginia and Kentucky, can't remember what the TV show said). You would think time would heal all wounds, but that's not always the case.

Edit: Seems like the Hatfields and McCoys get along today according to the Huffington Post http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/18......275.html
"Never fear shadows. They simply mean there is a light shining somewhere nearby." -unknown

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You will find a more accurate telling of the story if you watch the mini-series that also appeared on the History channel (and others, I think). But even that was subject to Hollywood's embellishment.

At least at the end they do give some actual facts, and you can always Google for more info.

Re: Moonshine - You can even buy it in Wal Mart here. Most of those commercial ones are just novelty junk. They are usually the ones found in mason jars with cutesie labels. I have a jar here that I dissolved a bag of Starlight Mints into. Good for a cold... well that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
On 2013-08-22 15:12, General_Magician wrote:
Seemed like that feud was pretty serious at the time it took place and the bad blood could have continued over the generations. Heck, the feud even got so bad that it sucked in two states into a legal and political dispute

Heck yeah it was serious, 13 people or so died as a result of it. Children shot down, people tied to trees and executed, people stabbed to death, etc.

Sometime in the early 2000's a ceremonial peace treaty was signed between the families. Since that took place within the last 10 years or so I'm guessing some of the people on the show were signatories to that treaty. There is apparently some money to be made from the two family names, and faking a bit on animosity certainly isn't going to hurt anything.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Michael Baker Wrote:

Quote:

Re: Moonshine - You can even buy it in Wal Mart here. Most of those commercial ones are just novelty junk. They are usually the ones found in mason jars with cutesie labels. I have a jar here that I dissolved a bag of Starlight Mints into. Good for a cold... well that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

We get legal moonshine down here in Delaware too. I like your cold remedy!
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
I don't think it's legal here but a co-workers neighbor makes this stuff and he brings it in for us. On the left is straight white lightning and on the right is "apple pie" flavor.

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
My sister married a McCoy...

I know enough to keep my mouth shut around him. I learned the hard way.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
imgic
View Profile
Inner circle
Moved back to Midwest to see
1338 Posts

Profile of imgic
Heck. Jack Daniels is basically moonshine, filtered and aged in charred barrels to give it color and taste

Lots of "micro distilleries" popping up in Colorafo. Making everything from gin to moonshine. Going to have as many of them as craft breweries soon...
"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The show is scripted bs. Like almost all reality shows.

It is designed to sell moonshine. Probably soon to be released.

The feud was more border warfare. History did not treat them well. The feud itself was more dime novel hype than anything.

Yes they really killed each other. Not saying they didn't. It sucks they are using a crappy part of history to sell booze.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Which (look out folks, haters of the vernacular to follow) begs the question, what will who use, how and when to sell weed? I have my thoughts, but let's hear yours.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
Cheech and Chong, of course.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Smile

General_Magician
View Profile
Special user
United States
707 Posts

This topic reminds me of a song by Waylon Jennings, Luckenbach Texas: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvZeYDBY4fw . Love this song!

Company Website
Facebook Business Page
Twitter Business Page
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Hatfields and McCoys (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL