The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Local Fair (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alkazam
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of alkazam
I have the opportunity to have a booth at the upcoming labour day weekend fair (free of charge). I will be providing free entertainment for kids, and adults. I am thinking of handing out business cards and/or flyers. And make some colouring pages with my info on them. Any one have any suggestions for fair work, or what I should include on my business cards and/or flyers?

Thanks everyone.
Robin4Kids
View Profile
Veteran user
Lower Alabama
396 Posts

Profile of Robin4Kids
As far as the performance goes, just be aware of the space you are performing in and if you will be surrounded or have people watching from the sides, don't include tricks that are angle-sensitive. Also a PA system would be advantageous if you are permitted to use one. As far as handouts go, hopefully you already at least have business cards with the information needed, such as: contact information and services available (birthday parties, balloons, facepainting, etc.) Be prepared for unpredictable weather (wind, rain, heat, etc.) and have someone with you if possible to give out information while you are performing.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9761 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I would suggest some sort of sign-up, drawings, free giveaways, contests as a means to capture email addresses. In other words don't just giveaway something free, get some mailing or email addresses for it which you can monetize long after the event.

I would perceive this more as a promotional opportunity rather than a performance opportunity.
Jesse Lewis
View Profile
Loyal user
227 Posts

Profile of Jesse Lewis
Mind Pro has it absolutly right

Dress up a 5 gallon pail with FREE SHOW DRAW ENTER NAME HERE
Get info for Email and if birthday party the prospective date
Have draw slips and pens on hand
Mention it several times during your show
Do a draw for a free show
Email winner
Email everyone else letting them know that they did not win but you will give a 20% discount for entering the draw.
Make bank

Do it again

Jesse
Learn how to build a bigger business at www.showbizsuccesssecrets.com
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3640 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Since a lot have given you promotional ideas how about performaance tips. You will likely be competing with other booths for the attention of the folks. I am assuming you are doing your thing at your booth. If not, you can disregard a lot of these suggestions.

Effects like the rings which are very visible, make noise, and can be handed out to close by audience members to check.

Talking effects, folks will stop to see what it is all about, versus using an effect to music

Use effects that require the children to call out the magic word (your name?), or applaud to make the magic happen, or count with the magician.

If raised up, try to include a small child or if not raised, have them stand on a chair to raise them up and be visible. It can be an effect as simple as the coloring book, but folks will stop to see what's up. Cuteness wins here.

A production effect (silk production) which allows you to pull out streams of silks, or just lot's of "stuff", the old "fill the stage" idea.

Do not do anything below waist (even chest) height. Folks beyond the first row, if standing, will not be able to see it.

Involve folks within the audience, ie. if you were to do the invisible deck you pick someone farther back in the audience. Folks will be turning back and forth to see you/them. It seems as if everyone is then involved.

Blair
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15111 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I have a HUGE 13 page thread on working fairs and festivals and this subject is covered a lot in it. I weill try and find the link for you. if not. just do a search under festivals and my scren name and it should come up. I think it was in the litgtle darlings section. A lot of great discussion there.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Local Fair (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL