The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » For Gun Advocates Only.....O)thers need not respond (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
Wife: It's me or this houseful of
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-08-24 04:20, Dannydoyle wrote:
A Beretta 92 F.
They were made with a 15 round mag.

We could not very a Glock because at the time they lacked an external safety.

I never liked the extra weight of a 45 between the gun and the ammo.

I would never carry a gun in the glove box. If your car is stolen or burglarized you have just armed a thief. No thanks.
I also have a 92F and agree it would not be a good concealed carry for most.

You make a good point about carrying in the car and I've thought about that. For that reason, I'm thinking of going back to the .380 Walther because it's an easier carry than the Glock 27, which is bulky. I just like the .40 caliber better than the .380 round. Probably will switch though because you're not the first person to advise me not to conceal in the car, unless, of course upon leaving the car I arm myself, which I do sometimes, depending on where I am.

This is one of the reasons for my OP; that is to see what the rest of you are carrying.
What if the Hokey Pokey really IS what it's all about? Smile

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-08-24 07:32, Dougini wrote:
Bravo, guys! Never owned a gun. I do like the Beretta and the Walther PPK. Last pistol I fired was a military .45. I did not like that. It hurt. Too powerful. I cannot imagine what a long-barrel, Dirty Harry-type Magnum would be like! Probably knock me over! LOL! Smile

Doug
I had a .44 Magnum once and it was indeed a cannon. That's why I got rid of it. Far too large to carry, and in my mind impractical even as a law enforcement piece as in Dirty Harry. Just too darned big. Maybe LE guys will disagree with me on that, but in all honesty I've never seen a police officer carry anything that big. If by the military .45 you mean the Model 1911, I believe the USMC still favors that as the official sidearm, despite that the Beretta 92F carryies twice the firepower. Could be wrong about that though too. I know it used to be, but it may have changed. But the .45 ACP will stop an enemy far quicker than the 9mm will.

My neighbor rang my doorbell at 2:30 a.m. this morning, can you believe that, 2:30 a.m.!? Lucky for him I was still up playing my drums.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Edited: repeat post.

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20998 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The unsaid reason people like the 92F is it simply can fire dirty well.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
For society carry, generally the Smith & Wesson 380 Bodyguard. I also sometimes carry a Bersa 380, which is a bit bigger but very smooth and accurate. In the woods, a Taurus Judge with alternating 45/410 rounds...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5731 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
I wish I could carry a gun in my country but alas... Smile

Even carrying knives will get you in trouble here.

Interesting to hear so many of you conceal carry.
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:
On 2013-08-24 09:21, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-24 04:42, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Glock P227. It's small enough to conceal in an ankle holster.

I also have a Beretta .22 semi-automatic that can be concealed in a special wallet with a cut-out for the trigger. Don't carry it much, but it's amazingly accurate for its size.

Twenty one years ago, I bought my then-girlfriend a five shot Smith and Wesson revolver with a shrouded hammer, so she could fire it through her purse if need be without a hammer getting caught up on the contents. We took a twelve week firearms safety course with the San Diego Sheriff's Office which was every bit as good as the training I received at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, GA. By the end of it, she knew plenty about firearms safety, could hit a target at 25 yards dead on, and was able to clean and maintain her weapon. I wish everyone who carried in the US would take a course like that.

I think you are somewhat confused. The P227is a Sig. There is no such model as a Glock P227. Also the Sig P227 is anything but small.

There is a Glock 27 which is a 40 cal. But still rather bulky for ankle carry but it can be done and is considered a compact weapon. The double stack grip make it rather wide.

Aces, you'll be pleased to know that in order to get a carry permit in Delaware a safety course is required. It isn't twenty-five hours, more like ten to fifteen with range qualification as well. It was a very useful course and taught a lot about how to avoid situations where use of deadly force becomes the only option. We also get fingerprinted and have background checks as requirements. Our training is so good here that I'm told that Pennsylvania would issue carry permits to Delaware holders as reciprocation if I applied in person. I had a carry permit in PA for years until we moved here and it PA I must admit it's pretty easy to get one in PA, or at least it used to be.

I have a Beretta .25 which is also a nice little carry piece and sometimes I simply put it in a pocket.

Peter McMillan
View Profile
Special user
St. George, Utah
502 Posts

Profile of Peter McMillan
My Bond is an over and under derringer with 3" barrel, that is chambered for .45 colt(sometimes miss named long colt) or the .410 specialized personal loads. Fits boot or waistband nicely.

Also like my Remington R1 1911 in .45 acp, but it can be on the heavy side.

My favorite revolver is a Uberti Remington 1858 with .45 colt conversion cylinder, cut to 5". Have that dialed in at 20'and is sweet to shoot.

Pete
Spiritus Dictum Artifacts ~ Tools of the Craft for Serious Workers http://petemcmillan.wixsite.com/sd-artifacts/artifacts
~
www.SantaPeteUtah.com
GlenD
View Profile
Inner circle
LosAngeles, Ca
1299 Posts

Profile of GlenD
I have never obtained a permit to carry but I own a .380 semi automatic and an older model Glock 9mm with the 17 round mags. I sometimes fire off some rounds at a local indoor range close to where I live. I also have a Colt Python .357 that has some power but is nice to shoot.

Glen
"A miracle is something that seems impossible but happens anyway" - Griffin

"Any future where you succeed, is one where you tell the truth." - Griffin (Griffin rocks!)
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-08-24 12:05, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Quote:

There is a Glock 27 which is a 40 cal. But still rather bulky for ankle carry but it can be done and is considered a compact weapon. The double stack grip make it rather wide.

You're right - it's the Glock 27. Used to carry a Sig, so I guess I just added the P2 to the beginning. Only thing I don't like about the Glock is it gives a nasty crack and a sharp recoil, not as smooth as the bigger handguns.

The 40 has a sharp recoil snap to it. I really believe that the 45 is an easier cartridge to handle than the .40. However that just might be me. I feel the .40 is just to snappy whereas the .45 felt recoil is one big push but not snappy. As a result I do not care for the .40 in any handgun.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20998 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
That Python is a VERY reliable piece.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-08-24 15:52, Bob1Dog wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-24 04:42, MaxfieldsMagic wrote:
Glock P227. It's small enough to conceal in an ankle holster.

I also have a Beretta .22 semi-automatic that can be concealed in a special wallet with a cut-out for the trigger. Don't carry it much, but it's amazingly accurate for its size.

Twenty one years ago, I bought my then-girlfriend a five shot Smith and Wesson revolver with a shrouded hammer, so she could fire it through her purse if need be without a hammer getting caught up on the contents. We took a twelve week firearms safety course with the San Diego Sheriff's Office which was every bit as good as the training I received at the Federal Law Enforcement Training Center in Glynco, GA. By the end of it, she knew plenty about firearms safety, could hit a target at 25 yards dead on, and was able to clean and maintain her weapon. I wish everyone who carried in the US would take a course like that.

I think you are somewhat confused. The P227is a Sig. There is no such model as a Glock P227. Also the Sig P227 is anything but small.

Aces, you'll be pleased to know that in order to get a carry permit in Delaware a safety course is required. It isn't twenty-five hours, more like ten to fifteen with range qualification as well. It was a very useful course and taught a lot about how to avoid situations where use of deadly force becomes the only option. We also get fingerprinted and have background checks as requirements. Our training is so good here that I'm told that Pennsylvania would issue carry permits to Delaware holders as reciprocation if I applied in person. I had a carry permit in PA for years until we moved here and it PA I must admit it's pretty easy to get one in PA, or at least it used to be.

I have a Beretta .25 which is also a nice little carry piece and sometimes I simply put it in a pocket.

You are correct. It is quite easy to obtain a CCW permit in Pa. They do an instant background check (Federal I believe) on you and issue you a photo ID permit right on site if your record is clean. That is how it is done in Luzerne county. The permits are issued at the County Court house by the Sheriff's office. Not sure of all the other counties in Pa. But as far as I know no training is required in any of the counties in Pa. The cost is $20 in Luzerne county for a 5 year CCW permit.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-08-24 23:23, Dannydoyle wrote:
That Python is a VERY reliable piece.

Reliable and big. A guy your size can carry one concealed without getting a hernia. You just need a quality holster and a good gun belt. It is one beautiful gun. I don't have a Python but I do have its baby brother, a Colt Diamondback in nickel.
Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
Quote:

You are correct. It is quite easy to obtain a CCW permit in Pa. They do an instant background check (Federal I believe) on you and issue you a photo ID permit right on site if your record is clean. That is how it is done in Luzerne county. The permits are issued at the County Court house by the Sheriff's office. Not sure of all the other counties in Pa. But as far as I know no training is required in any of the counties in Pa. The cost is $20 in Luzerne county for a 5 year CCW permit.

One of the reasons I put off getting my CCW here in DE is because of the cost, but I finally gave in. Total with public notice ad, fingerprinting, course fee, court fee, background check fee totaled a little over $400. But it's good for three years and then renewable at $60, for I think five years.

Bob1Dog
View Profile
Inner circle
1159 Posts

Profile of Bob1Dog
[quote]On 2013-08-24 23:48, acesover wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-24 23:23, Dannydoyle wrote:
You just need a quality holster and a good gun belt.

That raises another excellent issue. The best holster for the weapon, including quality. Unfortunately, I don't have a great source of holster dealers in Sussex County, DE and must rely on Internet transactions. And they don't always work out. I ordered a holster for my Walther .380 from a reliable manufacturer on Cheaper than Dirt.com, but it didn't even fit the piece. I had to send it back. I have a left handed Galco holster for the .380 which I bought about twenty years ago when they were much less expensive than they are now. For reasons I won't go into here, I had to learn how to shoot left handed back then and so ordered a left handed holster. (For more on this, check the Doritos at Hempfest thread where I talk about my eye issues). But that's a great holster. Now I'm more comfortable in right handed holsters for CCW and I'm re-tooling as it were.

That said, I like paddle holsters if carrying with a jacket or coat, or wearing a Golf / Tee shirt hanging loose outside my belt line. Some of you have mentioned ankle holsters. But the only gun I have that would work with that is my Beretta .25. And I would consider an ankle holster for that. Any recommendations?

On with the rest. With my bulky waist, I'm not comfortable with the inside the waist holsters for my Glock 27 or .380 Walther

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I don't like the modern plastic versions of any of the holsters and prefer good quality leather holsters. So, after all that, what would you recommend for a good quality paddle holster for these two as well?

Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20998 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I tell you if I ever carried it would be a revolver. Reason? Statistically it almost never happens that you need more shots. The extra weight of the ammo and the reliability of a revolver are the reasons.

Also when you do carry DO NOT USE RELOADS. I don't care what you practice with but when it is on your hip it needs to be reliable. Reloads are great to practice.

Revolvers are just about as reliable as you get. Presumably you are carrying for protection. You need reliability.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-08-25 10:48, Dannydoyle wrote:
I tell you if I ever carried it would be a revolver. Reason? Statistically it almost never happens that you need more shots. The extra weight of the ammo and the reliability of a revolver are the reasons.

Also when you do carry DO NOT USE RELOADS. I don't care what you practice with but when it is on your hip it needs to be reliable. Reloads are great to practice.

Revolvers are just about as reliable as you get. Presumably you are carrying for protection. You need reliability.

I felt the same way about revolvers and semi autos for reliability for a long time. I never liked the idea of an auto. However Glock did away with some of the issues I had with semi autos. One being the manual safety. Glock has an excellent trigger saftey. I was never comfortable with caryinig my 1911 cocked and locked known as condition 1. However after being talked into trying a Glock for carry I got confident and comfortable with the Glock. I am now very confident with it. With my 36 and 19 I have several thousand rounds through them and only one FTF and that was with a reload on the 19. Of course the one thing you canot take away from the revolver is the bad round scenario. If you have a "bad round" you just pull the trigger again and you have a new round cycle for firing. No such thing with the semi auto. That is one thing the semi auto can never replace.

I agree with you about the amount of rounds needed. That is why I have no issue carrying the Glock 36. However I do carry a spare mag. If the issue is not resolved with 5 or 6 rounds in your revolver (usually over by 3 rounds) you are now in a fire fight and are past the point of needing a handgun.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20998 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
With semi auto or any firearm it is not if it will happen it is WHEN a misfire will.happen. It will happen. If it happens at the range ok. If it is at a point where you are needing to save a life I personally think it is unacceptable risk. Therefore a revolver.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
critter
View Profile
Inner circle
Spokane, WA
2556 Posts

Profile of critter
I used to like the Browning Hi-Power the best but about two years ago I discovered the Glock 19. That Glock is so easy to use it's almost ridiculous.
"The fool is one who doesn't know what you have just found out."
~Will Rogers
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Quote:
On 2013-08-25 12:46, critter wrote:
I used to like the Browning Hi-Power the best but about two years ago I discovered the Glock 19. That Glock is so easy to use it's almost ridiculous.

Agreed.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » For Gun Advocates Only.....O)thers need not respond (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL