The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » PayPal (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MrG
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of MrG
Generally I just accept cash or check but have had a few inquiries regarding credit card payment. I'm thinking to offer cc payment in advance of the show through PayPal. Any experience with this out there?
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1802 Posts

Profile of Michael Messing
I have used PayPal on occasion for payment in advance but, these days, I use Square with my iPad Mini or iPod Touch. As long as I can get access to the Internet at the place of the show, I can run their credit card. If you have a smart phone, you won't even need internet access.
magicpro12
View Profile
New user
43 Posts

Profile of magicpro12
I have access to both credit card payments via Paypal and Square. Used paypal only a few times and have never used Square. It is there just in case.
vinh.giang
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
132 Posts

Profile of vinh.giang
I use paypal all the time! It's great for taking credit card payments. The only down side is you will have to transfer it from your paypal account to your bank account, it takes 3-5 days to move across etc.

Over all great experience so far! Good luck!
"Rather a mind opened by wonder, than one closed by belief."

www.vinhgiang.com.au
www.facebook.com/askvinh
www.twitter.com/askvinh
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Go with Square! I've used both Paypal and Square. Once I started using Square, I haven't looked back!

Square charges less than Paypal, they're much cooler to deal with, and they have tons less red tape than Paypal.

The only downside to square is that you have to have an ipad or smart phone. Other than that, they're the clear winner. You'll pay less, you don't have to wait 3-5 days for the money to transfer to your account, and you'll get to use a cool square reader!

Let me know if you have any other questions about Square!

Best Wishes,
Kevin
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1802 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-08-24 23:34, dearwiseone wrote:
The only downside to square is that you have to have an ipad or smart phone...
Best Wishes,
Kevin

Actually, you can use an iPod Touch, as well. I use an iPod Touch for my performance music so it is with me at the show anyway so it is natural to use Square with it.
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Michael,
Yeah, I was just trying to keep it simple for him! You can actually use a lot of wireless devices, I've heard rumors of some people even using rooted media players? There's also the Square stand, which connect with ethernet interfaced receipt printers, bluetooth devices, etc. It's pretty cool!

You guys should seriously switch to square, it means more money in your pocket, faster!
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
725 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
I thought if you make over $1000 in a 7 day period that Square holds those funds for 30 days? Has that changed?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I was wondering if anyone still runs credit cards the old fashion way with that machine that imprints the raised numbers on the form, or just write down the number over the phone? Can that still work? That's how Eric Paul used to do it I believe.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
690 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
I use Propay. Is Square better than Propay? I don't get that many credit card transactions, but some Daycares only use credit card payment for my fees. I offer credit cards so that people have that option. I don't use any electronic device, scanner, or imprinter. I have a print-out page from the Propay site and fill it out by hand. I enter in the information on-line when I get home.

Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
eatonmagic
View Profile
Special user
Orlando, FL
725 Posts

Profile of eatonmagic
I thought if you make over $1000 in a 7 day period that Square holds those funds for 30 days? Has that changed?
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
Thanks, Misterillusion. I'm glad it can still work the old way. I bought a box of girl scout cookies last year and the dad there took my credit card on his smart phone--only it was so smart it took about 5 minutes for the thing to work.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1802 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-08-25 00:56, eatonmagic wrote:

Square will hold deposits over $2,002 in a week for 30 days if it is manually run (i.e. you key it in rather than swiping a card.) You can request a deposit limit increase if you that is a concern. For swiped transactions, there is no limit and no hold. Deposits are made within 36 hours. See all the details here:
https://squareup.com/help/en-us/article/......timeline
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Charlie,
I've never used ProPay, but a quick look at their website suggests that you would pay less with square. With Square, there's no annual account fee, no per transaction fee, and no requirement for mantaining an active online subscription account. Propay has very generic terms describing their fees like "varies by account, but could be as low as...." so I don't know what their fees are, but the fact they won't disclose them makes me wonder if they're not much, much higher than square's.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
NOTE: For those that want to use PayPal it is GREAT. I used to use Square but Switched to PayPal as they will give you a Master Card Debit Card that can be used just like a Credit Card same Fess nothing extra and I goes on your card immediately. There is NO waiting period like Square. If you need to stop on your way home from your Show and want a bite to eat using Square you would be waiting on your payment. By using PayPal your money is already there in your Account and you can stop and Pay for your meal, gas, or whatever. I really like this PERK w/PayPal.

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
690 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Quote:
On 2013-08-25 16:34, dearwiseone wrote:
Charlie,
I've never used ProPay, but a quick look at their website suggests that you would pay less with square. With Square, there's no annual account fee, no per transaction fee, and no requirement for mantaining an active online subscription account. Propay has very generic terms describing their fees like "varies by account, but could be as low as...." so I don't know what their fees are, but the fact they won't disclose them makes me wonder if they're not much, much higher than square's.

Thanks for the insight. I'd better take a look since my business is currently expanding and I will very likely have more need of this kind of service

Charlie
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
dearwiseone
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
1143 Posts

Profile of dearwiseone
Rodney,
You're right, there is a waiting period with square, but it's one day. If you bill a deposit or take a payment on Tuesday, it's in your bank account on Wednesday, every time. With paypal, you can't access your money for several days unless you have their debit card and use it.

I suppose each company has their own benefits.
Rodney Palmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1317 Posts

Profile of Rodney Palmer
Dearwiswone,

I do have PayPal's Debit Master Card and it is FREE and is used just like a Credit Card (NO PIN NUMBER NEEDED) and I have NO Waiting Period for my money as it is there instantly. I do not have to wait. And most people in todays society do not carry cash. If I carry cash it is $ 20.00 and no more. MasterCard is accepted at 99.9% of places in the US and abroad. I like my money right then and there on the spot. Even McDonalds takes MasterCard, Visa, AE, and Discover. Everyone takes Credit Cards these days and with PayPal there are no fees to use the card. Just the Standard Fess for money received and there is no limit like Square. Square will put a HOLD on your Account if you take in a certain amount. PayPal will not do that.

Rodney

Rodney
"Creating Memories That Last A Lifetime"

In order to keep "MAGIC ALIVE" Please become a Mentor to a Young Person.
scottyocean
View Profile
New user
100 Posts

Profile of scottyocean
Square is GREAT highly recommended and in my account quicker then paypal. Plus is more professional then paypal.
Michael Messing
View Profile
Inner circle
Knoxville, TN
1802 Posts

Rodney, I appreciate your enthusiasm for the instant availability of your money through PayPal's debit card but, sometimes, it is better to get cash in the bank. I can't pay my utility bill, my health insurance nor my mortgage with a debit card. All of those have to be paid via my checking or savings account. That doesn't mean PayPal isn't great, it just means some prefer the way PayPal does it and some prefer the way Square does it.

Also, as I clarified above, Square does not put any holds on payments made by swiping a card. They do put a hold on deposits of more $2,002 in a week if they are manually keyed in but you can request an increase on that limit. That has never been an issue with me because I rarely key in a charge.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » PayPal (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL