The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2013 entrée: Ryan Schlutz » » Books » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
I know you are a big book guy, do you have a top three and why?
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
512 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
Thank you for the question smullins.

To only pick 3! They are all my babies. I think I will pick 3 books that have had the most influence on me. Sometimes is not always the effects themselves in the books but the type of thinking process the author had I find most inspiring.

Concertos for Pasteboard by Oliver Erens -- I think this book has been underrated and I don’t see many people talk about it. I personally find the the thinking and processes in the book to be truly amazing. A good example in the book is Heldge Thun effect Bulkoki. Just a masterpiece of thinking!

Close-Up Card Magic by Harry Lorayne - This was one of the 1st book I read starting out in magic and I didn’t realize how much it truly guided me until I went back years later and flipped through the pages again. It was his effect Out of This Universe that starting me down the path of Hands off/Self Working magic.

The Great Artful Dodges of Eddie Fields: This is one of the very few books I read cover to cover. (John G’s One degree would be the another one) Usually I skipped around but I was BLOWN away by the approach Mr. Fields took towards his magic. He was sooooooooo BOLD and after reading it I realize I could be too and I haven’t looked back since. If you want to see an example of what I mean read his effect “Way-Ahead Card to Cardcase”. I did this effect on a room of people one day and destroyed with it.

Ryan
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Never read the Eddie Fields book. I'll have to check that out.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
512 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
Well I hope you don’t now! I want to fool with 20 tricks out of it first!!!

Ryan
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
You gave it up Schlutz! haha

That's a book I've been meaning to pick up for a while. So Lorayne was your main inspiration into the world of "hands off" magic? Are there other hands off sources that really inspired your current releases?
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
Of all the magic items I own, my library of books are my most prized - a lifetime of information and inspiration. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
I have an autographed copy of Lorayne's book. While I do not do much card magic due to a physical problem with my hands, this is one of my most prized magical possessions!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
512 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
Steve I think you said it perfectly - A lifetime of knowledge. I have more books than I could ever possibly read in my life but I have a fun time trying. The problem is I keep buying more! Smile

Ryan
Steve Brooks
View Profile
Founder / Manager
Northern California - United States
3780 Posts

Profile of Steve Brooks
You can never have too many books Ryan.

For myself, buying books has turned into an addiction, but a good one me thinks. Smile

It's very gratifying to slay some of the guys with an effect you learned from a book published in 1930 and they haven't a clue. Smile
"Always be you because nobody else can" - Steve Brooks
fringeMagic
View Profile
New user
Fort Worth, TX
33 Posts

Profile of fringeMagic
I third for Lorayne's close-up card...

I am at this point almost exclusively a close-up coin worker, but his approaches to even the most established routines expanded my creative process; in cards & coins.

As a young magician I was hesitant to take his approaches seriously since he seemed "cocky" to my young mind because of his insistence on the purity of his own methods.
However, I now recognize it as a great example of the value of books, to the student and professional alike.

"Lorayne's Close-up Card Magic" and most full featured reading material is a much deeper look into ideals, technique, and philosophy of the author; it can be a window to the individual thought process and intention behind the material being taught rather than just a mechanical presentation of the end-product
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The August 2013 entrée: Ryan Schlutz » » Books » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL