The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » When You're Not Equipped and someone asks you "Float This!" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
Hey guys,

I've done a lot of IT performances before.
After I did the Hummingbird card, at a certain time later, when people see me doing card/coin tricks, they'll ask me "Go Float This Card or Coin!"

What are some excuses I can… get out of this?

Thanks.
Shenaniganz
View Profile
New user
Cypress, CA
100 Posts

Profile of Shenaniganz
I say I can only do it when the moon is up, or full whatever works at the moment. But I usually refer to the moon.
Eirik
View Profile
Special user
Oslo
879 Posts

Profile of Eirik
Hello Dbzkid,
I have experienced that same problem a couple of times and it's not a nice thing to say, “No”, so it those cases If the spectators walk up to you with, lets say a dollar bill, I have told them something like, "so you like so see it float, ok! Let me show you something even more magical… .” I have then done a bill switch using TT or a stunt with the Stealth pen.

After a couple of experienced like this and a few lectures with Finn Jon later l always carry Loops with me. They are great! You can wear one around your wrist all day, always ready for those "in a moment notice" close-up miracles.

Get some safe routines. I suggest "The bill who falls up" or the Finn Jon version of "Erectile Bill". It's also great for a floating signed card.

So, when you’re not hooked-up with IT, go for Loops when you are asked to perform those impromptu floating routines.
Smile

-e-
...As long as i`m not a world-champion at anything, the great reactions of doin` magic will do just fine.....
Michel Huot
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal
199 Posts

Profile of Michel Huot
Like Eirik suggest, you just can't say. “No”. Here is what I'd do. Instead of just saying, "well here is something even better" I'd say, "ok, no problem but I need the right ‘spot’." Have everybody follow you, put the bill (or whatever) on the table, try to make it float and change spot again saying, "It doesn't work each time.” When you say this, you look around trying to see if the conditions are right. Then, offer to do something else. They won't think about failure, as you will offer to do it again when everything is perfect.

Just my 2 cents
Tricks aren't important...people are!!!
BradleyNott
View Profile
Veteran user
Westwood, CA (UCLA)
351 Posts

Profile of BradleyNott
Tell them,

"I'm sorry... but I'm just not high enough... I mean... IT'S just not high enough... to fly..."

They'll laugh and you can do something else. Smile
If you were a hotdog, and you were starving...would you eat yourself? I know I would!
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
You CAN say no, IF it fits your performing persona. I say no in a humorous way. If you really want to be able to say yes, though, just wear a loop wherever you go.

Larry D.
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
Telling a joke is always a good way to say no. Try to present a "Do as I do" trick, and say, "I guess you're drawing my power away". Also an important point is, not to do something they've expected or requested. You should decide what to do next, not them.
Michel Huot
View Profile
Regular user
Montreal
199 Posts

Profile of Michel Huot
Since magic is based on the element of surprise, by answering to their request, there is no surprise. Smile
Tricks aren't important...people are!!!
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
I do say no, but I say it like this: You've already seen that trick? Wasn't it great? When they say yes, I'll say, “But if you see it all of the time it kind of loses it's wonder and I wouldn't want to do that to you. I'll tell you what, I'll show you another time I see you how's that?” People usually respect this and respond well to it. If you give a legit excuse as to why you're not performing it people go with it.
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
I hold the item in my hand as I do the Balducci levitation.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
If I say, “No”, they'll just say "Why? Need your equipment?"
Bong780
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
172 Posts

Profile of Bong780
A good quote from someone in the Café, "First time is performance, second time is lesson. And I don't give free lessons."

I think you show your friends too much too soon. Don't let them think magic is some free entertainment or puzzles to solve. Stop performing for them and find other audiences.
Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
"Huh, What was that? I'm sorry, you want me to what?...Huh? I'm deaf. I'm sorry, I can't hear what you are asking me. But wait, check this out!"… Smile

Ok, I know you all aren't deaf like me but this always works..Smile

Seriously though, there have already been some god suggestions here. I think the two main ways out of this situation is to either do something else that blows them away so they forget about what they actually asked you to do. Or to use another method of making things float. There are plenty of other methods out there. Not all of them are very good but as I'm sure you know even "bad" tricks can be good at the right moment. If I didn't have an ITR on me (which is hardly never... Smile ) I'd probable do a Balducci or something. Or maybe the simple levitation of an object with a T-tip.
I think the best way out of this is to have your ITR on you if you’re in a situation where you might perform. If you're not there to perform then just don't perform anything. Then it's perfectly fine to just say, "I'm not working now but here's my card", or something like that.

Now, it may seem like I'd be the last person to say this because I do IT work in just about every show I do. But you really must be able to do a good show with IT in order to be good with IT. It's easy to get caught up in feeling like without the visual strength of those IT tricks that you’re not giving your spectators your strongest material. That's not true at all though. Even with the visually strength of IT tricks it still relies on your presentation skills. And there are many, many other kinds of magic that are just as visually stunning.

But, if all else fails. Just play Deaf… Smile

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
DanielGreenWolf
View Profile
Veteran user
Waterbury, CT
363 Posts

Profile of DanielGreenWolf
Check your question in the cards section. Remember, it’s a gift you choose to give. They aren't paying you, so it’s a gift out of kindness. If they say something like "Why can't you? Need your equipment?" Just look at them and say, "Your right. I left my forklift in my other pants. I should go get those." And walk away. Or whatever works for you. Annoying people should never be tolerated unless you're getting paid or they're important to tolerate.

-Daniel GreenWolf
-Much love,
Daniel GreenWolf
Celtic Magician

www.GreenWolfMagic.com
Dave Egleston
View Profile
Special user
Ceres, Ca
632 Posts

Profile of Dave Egleston
Tell them you forgot your invisible thread. Works every time.

Dave
Eric Grossman
View Profile
Elite user
St. Louis, MO
429 Posts

Profile of Eric Grossman
Please join a magic club, and get some mentoring!!!

Eric Grossman
family/magic/music/life
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Once again I agree with Eric. You need more help than we can offer at the Café talking you through some of these situations. You really need to spend time with working professionals, or working semi-pros to find out what they do in certain situations and you REALLY need to learn Audience management. I understand that you're still relatively young and the crowd you're performing for is the same age... about 13 correct? That's a VERY difficult age to perform for, especially if you're the same age. Other than that, I say you need to learn some easy but effective routines. Buy Ammar's Easy To Master Card Miracles to start you off with cards, and you said you already have Bobo. Give it a second look for strong routines. And by all means, practice, practice, practice, and don't show anyone until you can do a trick in your sleep.
RandyStewart
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas (USA)
1989 Posts

Profile of RandyStewart
Months ago someone working in a magic shop addressed the problem of kids leaping forward to grab props during performance. He loved to perform The Hover Card until a kid reached out and broke the thread sending the card across the room and onto the floor. He responded by saying "Oh no! The force has been broken". I found that hysterical and could only picture he's disappointed tone as he uttered those words.

Again, "Oh no! The force has been broken"

Wish I could have been there as I bet I would have been the only one laughing my butt off.

Smile
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Also, try to learn the muscle pass. I get great reactions from this one thing alone when someone says do a trick. A few of my friends have seen the floating dollar, and they've only seen it ONCE in the 3 years I've known these particular people. Every time they tell the story to another person when I'm around the effect gets better and better. Haha. Smile The point is the trick is so strong that it lasts in people's memories as a true miracle so I let it be just that. I don't think I'll ever perform it for them again. Haha. Just because of the miracle they remember. So what I'm saying is...do it once and do it very well and convincing then never do it again or at least wait a long time. Common items or occurrences lose their luster over time.
Dbzkid999
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
407 Posts

Profile of Dbzkid999
Quote:
On 2003-12-17 00:20, Dave Egleston wrote:
Tell them you forgot your invisible thread. Works every time.

Dave

Why would I want to say that? I don't want to give them the secret.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Rings, strings & things » » When You're Not Equipped and someone asks you "Float This!" (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL