The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Craig Petty Coin routine (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
arthur stead
View Profile
Inner circle
When I played soccer, I hit
1777 Posts

Profile of arthur stead
VERY nice!
Arthur Stead
royalty-free music and interactive routines
www.arthurstead.com
Richie Larson
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
92 Posts

Profile of Richie Larson
Fun, and others... I see your point about the specs themselves most likely not being the ones to have paid him, or even, not knowing if he was paid, period. But MY train of thought was that, PERHAPS, they knew the person who did pay, or the person who "invited him to perform". And there could have been an air of respect in the room for that person. I really just wanted to point out the respect that was given.. Its nice when you don't have to "deal" with hecklers, or Fun-nazis. No pun intended.. Smile
I DO, see your points though and how I may have been misunderstood. And I especially agree about the part you mentioned about cameras being drawn, and how that often gets the respect out of people. ( as well as just being a good performer! I know, I know..everything could go for debate)
In the future, maybe I won't use words like assume.. I'm not a Know-It-All. But I see how debate goes on this forum..
Anyway thanks for the perspective shift, and for the warm welcome!
MagicDebbie
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MagicDebbie
Quote:
On 2013-08-25 17:42, helder wrote:
I really enjoy this : http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TLoSQabA0Es......SQabA0Es

Very entertaining and well done.

:)

Lovely presentation of the Roth Shelled Coins Across.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Funny thing Deb, I was exactly thinking that from the very first time I saw it. Nice way he presented it but yeah, that's Roth just done to the spec's hands. Smile Shows you just how great that old routine is, and how very elegant & classic it remains in whatever way you see it. Smile If I had any cons about it I'd say, I understand the repeated coin rolls within the presentation but didn't much like it being done over and over again, but that's a little thing in comparison to the greater overall presentation, which again was very well executed. Smile

Oh and welcome to the Café, Deb. Smile

-Mb
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
MagicDebbie
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of MagicDebbie
Thank you Mb217. Paul Gertner's "A Familiar Ring" is the David Roth routine with a tad more motivation. However, the crowed was very pleased with Craig Petty's routine in that clip, so good on him.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
The beginning, where he hands out the coins for inspection, is from Bob Kohler's Ultimate 3 Fly. The routine is different from the Roth routine in that he uses only three coins, not four, and he uses silver dollars, not half-dollars. But for the first coin he uses the Roth innovation, demonstrating that the coin will go from here to here, which allows the coins to be displayed and set up without counting the coins from hand to hand and is very clean. The second coin is similarly done, slightly adjusted. The third, last, coin is also from Roth, but instead of taking the "coin" himself, he has the spectator hand him the "coin."

The rest of the routine, the flurry sequence and the production of the large coins, are additions not in the original Roth routine.

I don't see anything special about the reactions. They appear to be normal reactions any good magician would get.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Let's not forget Derek Dingle's Silver Quick routine which is a four coins across into a participant's hand. The handling of the last coin across is an idea of Bob Ostin.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
The Dingle routine uses the purse palm.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Quote:
On 2014-01-27 19:24, Ray Haining wrote:
The Dingle routine uses the purse palm.

Indeed it does and some prefer it to the Roth handling. To true layman it is the same effect.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
There are many coins across routines using a gaff. The Petty routine is based on the Roth routine.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
But not many coins across into a participant's hand, which is far stronger than coins going from the magician's hand to his other hand or into a glass.

Craig has some nice touches in his version making it entertaining. And while Craig's version is based on the Roth handling, I wouldn't be surprised if Roth's wasn't inspired by Dingle's.

In my opinion, the weakness in Dingle's version is using the Morrit Palm three times in a row.

Magicians are always talking about the Rule of Three without fully understanding it, while totally ignoring the Rule of Four, or even the Rule of Five.
Ray Haining
View Profile
Inner circle
Hot Springs, AR
1907 Posts

Profile of Ray Haining
I think you mean you wouldn't be surprised if Roth's WAS inspired by Dingle's. Looking over the Dingle routine, I don't think they are similar. Roth's innovation is to eliminate the counting of the coins.

Maybe others are more knowledgeable about this.
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1020 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Ray, you are right. That IS what I meant.

There is no counting from hand to hand in Dingle's routine, except for the fourth phase when the four coins are counted into the helper's hand. At this point, I think it is important to do that as they are suspicious as hell.

Both Dingle's and Roth's routines are very well thought out and Roth's seems to be performed more by professionals. Both are well worth studying.

Does anyone know who first came up with the idea of having the participant (during the last phase) place the top coin into the magician's hand, rather than him pick it up?
kenodad
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of kenodad
Nicely done! Entertaining, magical.
MonsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
517 Posts

Profile of MonsterMagic
It's Jon Allen's Coins Across til the jumbo coins.
But actually the origin is irrelevent, it is well performed with good interaction. Strictly speaking his lines didn't come across as spontanteous but that is from a reviewer perspective.

I love seeing people work and Craig is one of the best.
kenodad
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of kenodad
Hey, How does anyone think he is able to toss the sh****ed coin around so freely? Good gaff? Slightly magnetized? It was a nice touch.

It certainly was a variation of Jon Allen' routine (which is an evolved Roth routine). But the vanish sequence was nice...I haven't seen that before.
kenodad
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of kenodad
I just checked... A Dean's Set Morgan can be tossed around like Petty did, but an average expanded sh** cannot. Nice.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
A TUC coin can also be tossed around like that, or any locking type sh**l coin set, I s'pose.

Again, I think basically this is Roth's Shelled Coins Across, with a few added nice touches and the jumbo finishes by Craig. Don't believe I've seen Jon Allen's routine but sure it's a nice one as all his work is stellar. *Incidentally, I carry around Jon's wonderful "Double Back" card trick to this day. Smile Ever want to break up all the coin stuff, try it…It's one of the best packet tricks ever devised, IMHO. Not hard to do (even for a coin guy) Smile and just absolutely devilish! Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
J-Mac
View Profile
Inner circle
Ridley Park, PA
5338 Posts

Profile of J-Mac
A well-made custom shell can be tossed from hand to hand while nested. (E.g., my Lassen Barber shell). I wouldn’t get too carried away with flipping it or anything but I can definitely toss it from one hand to the other with confidence.

Jim
p-n_junction
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of p-n_junction
Very very good indeed.
I'm not a coin guy but definitely wanna learn this one )

Quote:
On 2014-01-25 11:56, Ray Haining wrote:
Even if they have no idea how you actually did it, they can satisfy themselves by saying, "Oh, he used sleight of hand."

Btw.
What do you mean.
Something like "good magician has to convince audience that he does magic for real"?
Or I've got you wrong?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Craig Petty Coin routine (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL