The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Neat Tenyo Find at the Dollar Store... sort of (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3392 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Was in the local Dollar Store (Canada ) on Saturday... not bragging Smile They had a small "Dangerous Book for Boys" magic set nicely packaged in a tin container. This one was labeled "Illusions". Contained a Moon Spinner and Flash Dice. Props were made by Eddy Magic but clearly used the Tenyo molds as they are identical. Also had a neat zig zag girl trick a wand and couple of silver tokens for the Moon Spinner. Was only $3!

This is link to the set at Kmart for $12.99.... http://www.kmart.com/the-dangerous-book-......2061000P

John
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1548 Posts

Profile of teevtee
I thought you said it was a dollar store? Sounds like you paid three times too much!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3392 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
LOL! The "Dollar Store" in Canada (large chain) started carrying "higher end" items at $2.00 and $3.00 in addition to the many $1.00 items... Sent my wife back to pick up a few more of the sets to use as gifts for visiting children. Nice thing to give them after showing a few Tenyo items from the cabinet of wonders!
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2248 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Now that Morrissey Magic has closed in Toronto, does it means that the Dollarama store is the place to find you on weekends? Smile
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3392 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Thankfully we still have the Browsers Den of Magic! However as most magicians know Dollar stores are great places to pick up items for magic and look for ideas!
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
That is a cool gift I like the tin packaging. Like to pick up a few myself. Unfortunately there is no Dollarrama's around here...there is Dollarmama's but that is something totally different. Smile
It's An Illusion Unless I Can't Fix It Then It's A Reality.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3392 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
"Like to pick up a few myself"

Are you talking about Dollarama or Dollarmama? Smile
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Both would be good to have. Smile
teevtee
View Profile
Inner circle
1548 Posts

Profile of teevtee
FYI there are two other different sets in that same series... all well worth $3 if you can find them.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
What is the other one called, this one is illusions.
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2416 Posts

Profile of Richard Kaufman
Eddy does not have any of Tenyo's molds.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=2356

"Tenyo still sells "Vault Vision" in Japan, but perhaps they've discontinued the English version. Either way, Eddy's Magic uses the original Tenyo molds for their authorized versions of the Tenyo tricks they sell, so it should be identical! Give the trick a try and you'll see why it's so great."
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3392 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
The other two are called "Magic Kit" and "Card Tricks". My wife picked them up today. All nicely packaged. The Card Tricks set contains a card box that very closely resembles the Tenyo Card box (including the sticker) without the magnetic locking feature. Also a Svengali deck with one magnetic card. Also includes two cardboard plaques one being magnetic ( Think Sandwich Platter). Some interesting ideas for a beginners set with the Svengali deck and the platters. Also contains a version of Arabian Cards.

The Magic Kit contains standard items, cups and balls, ball vase, color vision, wand. Interestingly this set does not contain any Tenyo similar items. For anyone that owns Promystics MD the black box for Color Vision fits the MD cube perfectly.

All in all three nice little sets particularly for $3 each.

John
simcoscor
View Profile
Inner circle
montreal
2248 Posts

Profile of simcoscor
Quote:
On 2013-08-26 19:43, J M Talbot wrote:
For anyone that owns Promystics MD the black box for Color Vision fits the MD cube perfectly.

I'm in!!! Smile
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3392 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
Quote:
On 2013-08-26 20:35, simcoscor wrote

I'm in!!! Smile

Yes, funny how we were just talking about that... you should grab one!
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3392 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
The Zig Zag lady in the Illusions version of the magic kit is similar to the Tricks Co. effect... http://www.tricksupply.com/product-p/trickszigparade.htm

Cards are identical, frame is plain black. Another reason at $3 it is a great deal!

John
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2416 Posts

Eddy's magic does not use any of Tenyo's molds.
J M Talbot
View Profile
Inner circle
3392 Posts

Profile of J M Talbot
We've heard in the past Richard that Eddy's had "permission" to reproduce certain Tenyo items... is that not the case? They have obviously very closely copied a number of items. Just curious.
MrWizard
View Profile
Inner circle
Conjured The Illusion Of
1039 Posts

Profile of MrWizard
Say's very clearly here eddy's uses Tenyo Molds.
Richard is the one that said it so it has to be true.

http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=2356
Richard Kaufman
View Profile
Inner circle
2416 Posts

I wrote that almost 14 years ago, and I was mistaken. I've learned a lot since then.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tenyo of Japan » » Neat Tenyo Find at the Dollar Store... sort of (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL