The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Link Exchange (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Profile of JoshLondonMagic
Anyone interested in doing some link exchanges? Build out SEO scores and get higher on the search engines.

If there's an interest, perhaps we can just post the link we want (something like "San Diego Magician Josh London") in HTML right here and we can all link to each other?

Josh
Josh
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
Someones been reading a very old book on seo, forgetting about the website content in regards to look and its effectivness on its user...
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

That same someone realizes the value of putting a page on their site under the "Resources" section that could help both of us.

Also, not going to get into website design with someone that has a site like yours.
Josh
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Think about it like this, if magicians post links to other magician's websites, you're going to be getting people on track to someone else's site, and therefore someone else's business. Not very productive to me. It would be far better for you to link up with local event vendors and planners. Then, hope that people actually click on it. You could also get listed on some local blogs or news sites. That would get people more likely to click towards your site because they actually WANT to see what you're offering. It's thinking about it from the way they would be shopping.

As far as SEO goes, I'm not an expert, more like a novice. But I have had some luck in short amounts of time by researching the keywords that are helpful, and then making the content, tags, and titles relevant to those words. The page that drives the most traffic to my site was a blog post I made months ago, but it gets clicks because it references something people are looking for (the page isn't even very good to begin with. But, it gets listed anyway).

Which brings me to another point: from what I've researched, most people are googling for magicians are for children's parties. I'd bet 99% of people are googling for that. It's great for children's entertainers, not so great for other types of magic UNLESS you are aiming to be seen as an event vendor/service instead of simply a magician.

The way people search and the way we want to be found are usually two different things. A resources page is a really good idea, but I'd say link up to a DJ, venue, etc. in the same way that a Realtor would link to his/her mortgage broker friend.
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9826 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 14:00, Close.Up.Dave wrote:

The way people search and the way we want to be found are usually two different things.

I strongly agree with this. The problem with links and links exchanges is you are giving them reason to click away from your site. While I understand the perceived benefits, I rarely ever click on links found on others web site.

With that said, I do have some links on some of our sites...but they are to our other businesses and services. They are cross links to other sites of ours that serve the same markets. They are separate businesses but are all ours. Plus if they click away to one of those links on the page they land is a return link back to the site they came from.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

A few things here, while I agree that having a link building exchange with other vendors (DJs, caterers, etc.) still linking with other magicians in totally different areas is a good idea. The site that you would be linked to is http://www.TheSanDiegoMagician.com. I'd be hard pressed to image someone in Florida looking at my site considering me for their kid's birthday party.

Second, SEO basics are still alive and much needed today more than ever. Link building is fundamental as a well developed and user-friendly website. So to say anything otherwise is silly.

Third, there are options as to how the user is directed when the link is clicked, such as "open in new window or tab."

Fourth, the links would never nor should be easily viewed where normal users would be able to see them. In my case, the link to your website would be held on my Resources page (http://thesandiegomagician.com/resources/) with a simple work that says "Links." They click that and it goes to another page with links to other magician's sites. Hardly easy to find and again, if my visitor is in San Diego, why would they hire a magician in San Francisco for a kid show?

That's why I have multiple sites Smile

Not a problem at all about this, just wanted to get my feelers out on this as I was contacted by another magician and we exchanged links and I rose to close to the top of the search engines.

If anyone is interested just PM me.

Sorry to ruffle any feathers Smile

Josh
Josh
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
No feathers are ruffled because I just honestly disagree with what your perspective is. If its not a good idea for someone in Florida to search for your site, why would it be a good idea to link up with a Florida magician if it means you might get ranked in their area (not that you necessarily will). You're talking about targeting your site in areas that don't fit what you want people to be searching for. Hardly makes sense to me.

Also, it makes no sense to me to say that the keywords won't be seen by the normal users, when relevant keywords is exactly what google is going after and cataloging. Makes more sense to just build a strong, market specific network. You either want them to see your content, or you don't. Any loopholes and tricks hardly seem worth the time when you're trying to sell a magic show to people within a 25 mile radius.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

No loopholes or tricks involved. The link someone would have on their site for me is "San Diego Magician Josh London." If you knew anything about web design or how the search engines work you would know that when a user puts in "san diego magician" into Google they crawl every website and the websites that have the most links with the phrases "San Diego magician" usually come out on top.

We can agree to disagree because you obviously know nothing about website design or how seo works. Link building is as honest as the day is long if you do it right. I've seen it work and my rankings prove it.

I was just seeing if anyone was interested in exchanging links. But, I suppose I should have prefaced that with anyone who has a website to start out with and not an amateur.

Josh
Josh
Mindpro
View Profile
Inner circle
9826 Posts

Profile of Mindpro
I agree with disagreeing, not that I'm agreeing or disagreeing with anyone. We all have to determine what works best for us and our individual applications...agreed?
Close.Up.Dave
View Profile
Inner circle
Behind you!
2914 Posts

Profile of Close.Up.Dave
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 17:22, JoshLondonMagic wrote:
No loopholes or tricks involved. The link someone would have on their site for me is "San Diego Magician Josh London." If you knew anything about web design or how the search engines work you would know that when a user puts in "san diego magician" into Google they crawl every website and the websites that have the most links with the phrases "San Diego magician" usually come out on top.

We can agree to disagree because you obviously know nothing about website design or how seo works. Link building is as honest as the day is long if you do it right. I've seen it work and my rankings prove it.

I was just seeing if anyone was interested in exchanging links. But, I suppose I should have prefaced that with anyone who has a website to start out with and not an amateur.

Josh

Your post is full of assumptions so I'll just leave you with the correction that I didn't mean to say that link exchanges were dishonest, only that there are no short cuts to being the most relevant option that google chooses for their rankings.
Scott Burton
View Profile
Inner circle
1131 Posts

Profile of Scott Burton
I'm pretty sure that Google is smart enough to know what you're up to with link exchanges (they see the circular pattern - which is unnatural in most instances). Ideally, the content on your website needs to reflect what people are legitimately looking for and/or interested in. And...the content should be interesting enough where people want to link to you.
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-08-27 17:27, Mindpro wrote:
I agree with disagreeing, not that I'm agreeing or disagreeing with anyone. We all have to determine what works best for us and our individual applications...agreed?

Agreed.
Josh
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1968 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
SEO is not something I have not really spent any time on. I am curious how often people get bookings from people doing google searches for children entertainers? Does it make up a large percentage of birthday bookings?
JoshLondonMagic
View Profile
Special user
678 Posts

I personally book about 40-45% of my shows from SEO/PPC marketing. SEO is free of course (except the time/learning curve involved) and I spend about $100 a month in PPC campaigns and book about 5-7 shows a month from PPC alone. My other client find me via word of mouth from friends or they've seen me perform.

Josh
Josh
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1968 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
Thanks Josh. I can see why you benefit from being in a favorable position on search engines.
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
It seems the posters above have said in more details what I said (and got attacked for) in my first post. Trying to cheat google into fooling it to get you to the top will no-longer work. I could talk about the panda and penguin search features (or whatever animal there on as you read this) but suffice to say, there is a good chance it could actually hurt your search rankings if you make it obvious what your doing (thats why you see so few professional sites with referal link nowadays).

don't get me wrong though, teaming up with caterer or dj may be a good idea, as you can pass each other work and if a website link helps secure and strengthens that relationship then do it. Actual people sending you clients is important. But my advice (for whats its worth, even though you insulted me) is to not go down the route of link exchanges but instead focus on the internal page description, html based description text on the actual page that matches the page decription and clean code (if you know how to write it). Also it has to be aestically pleasing, not just to impress your clients but also because the google reps will 'rank' your site on how it looks, usually within three short seconds of looking at it and moving onto the next one.

Page ranking can be read about in more details elsewhere, and there are several youtube videos which explain how it all works. But ive said enough to help you (dont know why), ill leave it in your obviously capable hands.

Steve
ku7uk3
View Profile
Inner circle
1777 Posts

Profile of ku7uk3
P.s. here is the link on google faq that says its a violation and will get your site kicked off its search ranking:
https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/66356?hl=en
thecharlatan
View Profile
New user
95 Posts

Profile of thecharlatan
Josh, you could see some success with link building, but it has to be the right kind of links. You want high pageranking magic related sites to place links in as prominent positions as possible. Other magician sites may have some value, but probably not on a hidden away 'links' page - Google is not a fan of these.

Also bear in mind that these days Google will recognize too many un-natural link phrases as being unhealthy - i.e if they all say the same thing. You should have a mix of generic ('click here'), Branded ('Josh London') and search term ('hire san diego magician') link texts ideally.

This is all just a small part of it, but I hope that helps. I work in SEO as my day job!
MichaelDouglas
View Profile
Special user
Portland, Oregon
767 Posts

Profile of MichaelDouglas
From what I've read and been told, Link Exchanges were in vogue a few years back but since the Google updates (Panda?) LE's are no longer much of a help and as the link above shares, it might do more harm than good. With that said, I've been told that if you are going to do a link exchange and avoid any negative fallout, then the url of the link should not match the url of the site in both directions. Use a url shortener service like https://bitly.com/ to alter the URL.

Thus, abc.com's link to 123.com is fine as long as 123.com's link back is not abc.com. The link back should be altered.

But I'm nowhere close to an SEO expert so my info may be inaccurate or outdated.
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Quote:
On 2013-09-16 12:00, thecharlatan wrote:
Josh, you could see some success with link building, but it has to be the right kind of links. You want high pageranking magic related sites to place links in as prominent positions as possible. Other magician sites may have some value, but probably not on a hidden away 'links' page - Google is not a fan of these.

Also bear in mind that these days Google will recognize too many un-natural link phrases as being unhealthy - i.e if they all say the same thing. You should have a mix of generic ('click here'), Branded ('Josh London') and search term ('hire san diego magician') link texts ideally.

Hmm right links? Posting on a magic message board to other magicians... is not right?

I think the surrounding key words would work on other magicians websites? lol
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricky business » » Link Exchange (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL