The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Brilliant and funny routine using a prop we all have! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
djkuttdecks
View Profile
Special user
Nashville
660 Posts

Profile of djkuttdecks
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
First time I saw it where I liked it. He did a good job.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
sule_mann
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of sule_mann
No one does it like Copperfield!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_PJbIBnl1w
charliecheckers
View Profile
Inner circle
1969 Posts

Profile of charliecheckers
I'm not sure what was different in the demonstration in the OP than many other performances I have seen with this routine.
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22838 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
What is different is the performer on stage. They laughed at him as well as the tape.
professorwhut
View Profile
Inner circle
Posts R US sold me
1347 Posts

Profile of professorwhut
Quote:
On 2013-08-27 17:19, Pete Biro wrote:
First time I saw it where I liked it. He did a good job.

Agreed.
After much soul searching about a signature, I decided not to have one.

TG Pop [aka ProfessorWhut]
bowers
View Profile
Inner circle
Oakboro N.C.
7036 Posts

Profile of bowers
David has always been a alsome performer.
Todd
Magic-Scott
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of Magic-Scott
Enjoyed it -- thanks for sharing!
Edgar Alstad
View Profile
New user
Levanger, Norway
95 Posts

Profile of Edgar Alstad
Quote:
On 2013-08-28 21:49, charliecheckers wrote:
I'm not sure what was different in the demonstration in the OP than many other performances I have seen with this routine.

The reason I think it plays so well for him is because english is not his mother tongue. It is easier to buy his misconception with the two words.
donrodrigo
View Profile
Special user
U.S.A. and Europe
635 Posts

Profile of donrodrigo
Sule,

Two diff. individuals,two diff. presentations. One of them did not use a stooge.
Inviso
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Inviso
I saw Copperfield do this at a live show many decades ago and believe it is the inspiration for the children's show I am currently working on. The premise is Inviso the Magician never shows up and the assistant performs the entire show by following audio instructions. I had never intended to use the Bandana/Banana routine but seeing it again shows how strong it would be with children. I can see doing it with the added bit of looking for a yellow bandana in the prop box and pulling out many thing including a yellow handkerchief before finding the yellow banana. Later in the routine when you "put the bandana in the handkerchief" the audio points out that a bandana and handkerchief are very similar and you can look over at the yellow handkerchief sitting openly on the table.
Motley Mage
View Profile
Special user
572 Posts

Profile of Motley Mage
Inviso, I believe this has been discussed elsewhere, but the problem with gearing this act to children is that most kids today will be unfamiliar with the word "bandanna." It simply isn't a common term anymore (it has gone out of fashion, like "dungarees.")
Inviso
View Profile
Regular user
124 Posts

Profile of Inviso
Thanks, Motley Mage, very good point to consider. Perhaps that's why I have only seen it performed for adults. They are old enough to remember what a bandana is, and they know the performer knows what a bandana is, and it all comes off as a "cute" bit. I was spit-balling on the improvised performance. In my head right now I am seeing the performer pick up the actual bandana, once noticing it on the table and realizing the mistake he has made, and adding it to the handkerchief with the banana before the big vanish. Of course, if the audio doesn't make it clear that a bandana is a "brightly coloured scarf" it may not help the whole joke.
Terry Holley
View Profile
Inner circle
1794 Posts

Profile of Terry Holley
They still sell many and varied bandanas for craft purposes at stores like Hobby Lobby!

Terry
Co-author with illusionist Andre' Kole of "Astrology and Psychic Phenomena."
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
486 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
I entered this video into a contest...it is a different take on the effect. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grhYfpz4tAY

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2580 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Events like the Melboune Comedy Festival are usually associated with comedians doing their own original material. Comics often cover the same ground but in completely different and original ways. The plots in magicians' effects often act in the same way as the themes do for stand ups. They provide a foundation on which an original presentation, script or twist is layered.

I'm amazed to see, at a festival such as this, someone doing a routine straight out the box and off the shelf with absolutely nothing original added.

If people want to have their routines served up to them on a plate that's up to them and fine by me... but at a comedy festival?

And while I'm talking on a thread featuring the Vanishing Bandana. Can anyone tell me what distinguishes a 'darkly coloured square of fabric', from a bandana? What, - apart from not being bothered about what you're doing; or being too lazy to use something different from the inappropriate Devil's Hanky that comes with the routine, - is the rationale of using a Devil's Hanky (a bandana) to vanish a "bandana"?

To my mind this is nonsense.
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
murf
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio, TX
264 Posts

Profile of murf
Sealegs, that's quite a fascinatng point of view! In all the years that I've watched performances of the Vanishing Bandana, and read comments on the routine, it has never crossed my mind that a 'darkly colored square of fabric' was similar to a bandana! Or to think of a Devils' Hank as a bandana. Must be a cultural thing....

Murf
myboydash
View Profile
New user
Bertrand, NE
19 Posts

Profile of myboydash
Mark, I think that's a cute take on the routine - if I had one critique I think it moves a little slowly - for the premise. The trick of the month club sounds like a low tech huckster sort of gimmick - I would expect a used car salesman style slick fast, maybe even to fast pitch. Hard t keep up with maybe, making you always a step or two behind, leading to the difference in effect etc... Just a thought, otherwise a nice little twist on it. Cheers.
Mark Williams
View Profile
Elite user
Las Vegas, Nevada
486 Posts

Profile of Mark Williams
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 09:47, myboydash wrote:
Mark, I think that's a cute take on the routine - if I had one critique I think it moves a little slowly - for the premise. The trick of the month club sounds like a low tech huckster sort of gimmick - I would expect a used car salesman style slick fast, maybe even to fast pitch. Hard t keep up with maybe, making you always a step or two behind, leading to the difference in effect etc... Just a thought, otherwise a nice little twist on it. Cheers.

Thank you for your critique, myboydash. I like your suggestions and will keep working on it, to better improve the routine.

Best Magical Regards,

Mark Williams
"Once is Magic!! Twice is an Education!!"
Rook
View Profile
Special user
I went to the Magic Cafe and all I got were these lousy
822 Posts

Profile of Rook
I've often enjoyed the concept and the trick, and attribute it to having enjoyed Copperfield's version in my youth. I agree, however, that the premise must fit beyond simply having accidentally brought or was shipped the wrong equipment. One version I've seen ends with "Now enjoy the snack we've sent you," implying that they had sent both a bandana and a banana, and the magician accidentally grabbed the wrong thing.

My take on it (which works well with kids, despite the possibly archaic term...may be a geographic thing) pokes fun at the need for instant gratification and the tendency to download magic tricks and perform without practicing. The voice is electronic and the entire trick is downloaded into a previously empty box (I use square circle for that). During the download, something goes wrong and the rest commences as usual.

-Tom
Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.

-Roald Dahl
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Brilliant and funny routine using a prop we all have! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL