The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » This is an equal country (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Why is there no female African American magicians? Did the racist make some kind of a hidden banning law or something?
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
Because there is no such thing as an African American?
Why you gotta make it about color and sex?
Can't we all just get along?
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3331 Posts

Profile of Julie
Sometimes it's not what you say, but the way you say it...

Julie

P.S.> it's an interesting question
Dimitri Mystery Artist
View Profile
Veteran user
Israel/Ukraine
355 Posts

Profile of Dimitri Mystery Artist
THIS country?
I thought the magic Café was an international forum. Did I miss some hidden law?
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3211 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
According to one website, Ellen Armstrong - Magician and Cartoonist Extraordinary was the first African American female magician. By the way, that site lists the reference, Conjure Times: Black Magicians in America by Jim Haskins and Kathleen Benson. I wonder if that mentions any other female magicians?

Still, after searching with Google for over 5 minutes, I only found a single African American female magician. That does surprise me. There must be others. I'll keep looking.

Regarding the title, I don't think this has to do with inequality. There are few magicians in society. African Americans are a minority. Relatively few magicians are female. I suspect all those combine to make very few African American female magicians.

Other questions are, what do young African American women dream of becoming when they are young? Who are their role models? The answers to those questions might be part of the reason there are so few.

It might be better to ask African American women this question.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
longhaired1
View Profile
Veteran user
Salida
302 Posts

Profile of longhaired1
I think we should explore the possibility that the racist made some kind of a hidden banning law or something. That would be fun.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
Isn't that a lot of responsibility...being THE racist?
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3615 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
And what about fat, french, gay, conservative transgender immigrant smokers with aids?
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15711 Posts

Profile of tommy
Mike you could wear a dress and be unique.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Tommy, I do not think my breast are big enough.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2013-08-28 14:37, Bill Hallahan wrote:
According to one website, Ellen Armstrong - Magician and Cartoonist Extraordinary was the first African American female magician. By the way, that site lists the reference, Conjure Times: Black Magicians in America by Jim Haskins and Kathleen Benson. I wonder if that mentions any other female magicians?

Still, after searching with Google for over 5 minutes, I only found a single African American female magician. That does surprise me. There must be others. I'll keep looking.

Regarding the title, I don't think this has to do with inequality. There are few magicians in society. African Americans are a minority. Relatively few magicians are female. I suspect all those combine to make very few African American female magicians.

Other questions are, what do young African American women dream of becoming when they are young? Who are their role models? The answers to those questions might be part of the reason there are so few.

It might be better to ask African American women this question.

Thanks Bill.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2013-08-28 10:04, Dynamike wrote:
Why is there no female African American magicians? Did the racist make some kind of a hidden banning law or something?

Because they are too smart to waste their time in our passion for splitting hair with no reasonable purpose...
Quote:
On 2013-08-28 20:44, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
And what about fat, french, gay, conservative transgender immigrant smokers with aids?

No ! Not the French...

:)
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5687 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Go train some girls to be magicians Dynamike.

Put an ad up or something, I'm sure you'll get some interested.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Gandhi -

All the best! Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Maybe you could ask the band Santana where they got theirs...
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3005 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Josh, funny, very nicely done
3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5687 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Quote:
On 2013-08-31 21:17, Josh the Superfluous wrote:
Maybe you could ask the band Santana where they got theirs...

Black Magic Woman?

Just in case some don't get it... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3211 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I found two other African American female magicians with Google, and their last name was also Armstrong! I don't know if they're related Ellen Armstrong (1914-1979), who mentioned in my previous post here.

Prof. John Hartford Armstrong (1876-1939) was an African American magician who was married to Mabel Armstrong, and they performed a two person mind reading act together. Mabel Armstrong died in 1914, and Prof. Armstrong married Lily Mills Armstrong, who also performed a mind reading act with him.

Unlike Ellen Armstrong, Mabel Armstrong and Lily Mills Armstrong didn't have their own show.

Also, since Mabel Armstrong died the year that Ellen Armstrong was born, it makes me wonder if Mabel Armstrong died during childbirth. However, the site where I found these magicians doesn't mention that they're related.

I expect that a lot of magicians don't mention their heritage or race on their website, so even if they exist, searching with Google isn't necessarily going to find them.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Good look'n out.

Posted: Sep 2, 2013 12:26am I do have the book "Conjure Times: Black Magicians in America". It does mention Ellen Armstrong was the daughter of Mabel Armstrong.
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
Greenwich (CT)
6799 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Dynamike,
The equality that you refer to is an equality of chance (as a goal or ideal because it can never be achieved, unfortunately). Looking at it as if everyody should be equal and society had to be uniform with quotas on everything (including French, who like black lady magicians aren't numerous enough) it would be just denying the fundamental need of individual liberty. It transposes the responsibility for not making individual efforts to a community.
Pakar Ilusi seems right to me: "Go train some girls to be magicians Dynamike." If some members of the magicians' community were trying to ostracize them, then you would find a vast majority of us on your side to fight such a rejection.
Magic is the art of proving impossible things in parallel dimensions that can't be reached
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24022 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
That says a lot, Lawrence. Well put.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » This is an equal country (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL