The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fort Hood shooter sentenced to death: any objections? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 03:57, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I call shenanigans on the idea that life in prison is a worse punishment than the death penalty. Very popular claim among people who haven't been convicted of first-degree murder, but among those actually facing the two options, they overwhelming prefer life in prison, as evidenced by appeals, plea bargains, pleas for "leniency" (I.e. Not death) at sentencing hearings, etc. In fact, one argument for the death penalty is that having it on the table generates life-without-parole guilty pleas. In contrast, very few defendants plea bargain in the hopes of receiving the death penalty instead of life without parole.

However MANY people, who are, in fact, NOT guilty, will take plea deals, INCLUDING confessing to murder.

http://www.falseconfessions.org/fact-a-figures

"More than 80 percent of the 125 false confessions documented by Professors Steve Drizin and Richard Leo occurred in homicide cases.

False confessions may be the single leading cause of wrongful convictions in homicide cases.

More than two-thirds of the DNA-cleared homicide cases documented by the Innocence Project were caused by false confessions."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-prot......665.html
http://listverse.com/2013/05/22/10-contr......essions/
http://ideas.time.com/2013/02/11/why-inn......essions/
http://www.jaapl.org/content/37/3/332.full
http://www.criminal-lawyer-colorado.com/......ons.html
"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."

I won't forget you Robert.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
No one expects the Spanish Inquisition.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
I call shenanigans on the idea that life in prison is a worse punishment than the death penalty. Very popular claim among people who haven't been convicted of first-degree murder, but among those actually facing the two options, they overwhelming prefer life in prison, as evidenced by appeals, plea bargains, pleas for "leniency" (I.e. Not death) at sentencing hearings, etc. In fact, one argument for the death penalty is that having it on the table generates life-without-parole guilty pleas. In contrast, very few defendants plea bargain in the hopes of receiving the death penalty instead of life without parole.

1. Is it even possible under your legal system, in practice, for someone to plea bargain for the death penalty instead of life without parole? Would the prosecutors, lawyers, judges, really be able to do / permit that? (Again, in practice, not in theory.) Wouldn't the defense lawyer be in violation of some professional ethics or something if he negotiated for a harsher penalty, or recommended his client to do so?

2. People selecting between life in prison without parole and the death penalty are really selecting between two unknowns. Many don't really know which one they would prefer, in practice. What they do have are their lawyers (e.g. like yourself) telling them to take life, that it is better.

3. Someone who wants to live free and outside of prison, could still prefer death over true life imprisonment without parole. They may select life without parole over death in the hopes of winning a pardon or being exonerated or of even eventually earning a parole (because of changing laws, a Supreme Court decision, or whatever). In other words, if they knew with 100% certainty that they would never be released from life imprisonment they would prefer death. But if there is even a remote hope they might be freed, they take what they perceive to be the worse punishment (life without parole) because they hope they will eventually be excused from it.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
And when he has paid the ultimate price will you then forgive him? No!
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Just what does life in prison mean? By that I mean what sort of conditions is the prisoner required to live under? Is he with other prisoners? Can he have visitors? Does he have Television, can he read books? Does he have to work? What sort of food and medical care does he receive?

The reasons for asking these questions is because if the choice is life in prison without parole or death. Remember we are not trying to rehibilate him we are just paying to keep him alive and healthy. That seems to be what a lot of people "WORK" all their lives to do. However they get a job and work for the rest of their lives.

I believe the answer to these questions has a lot to do with how the person will decide on life in prison or death. Can anyone answer these questions?
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 10:40, balducci wrote:
Quote:

1. Is it even possible under your legal system, in practice, for someone to plea bargain for the death penalty instead of life without parole? Would the prosecutors, lawyers, judges, really be able to do / permit that? (Again, in practice, not in theory.) Wouldn't the defense lawyer be in violation of some professional ethics or something if he negotiated for a harsher penalty, or recommended his client to do so?

2. People selecting between life in prison without parole and the death penalty are really selecting between two unknowns. Many don't really know which one they would prefer, in practice. What they do have are their lawyers (e.g. like yourself) telling them to take life, that it is better.

3. Someone who wants to live free and outside of prison, could still prefer death over true life imprisonment without parole. They may select life without parole over death in the hopes of winning a pardon or being exonerated or of even eventually earning a parole (because of changing laws, a Supreme Court decision, or whatever). In other words, if they knew with 100% certainty that they would never be released from life imprisonment they would prefer death. But if there is even a remote hope they might be freed, they take what they perceive to be the worse punishment (life without parole) because they hope they will eventually be excused from it.

I agree with your third point.

With respect to 1), I doubt it; the tag line was intended as facetious. But one who wasn't worried about the death penalty could certainly are a free shot and plead not guilty if the auto-punishment was life in prison, yet it's not uncommon for them to take the life imprisonment. Or fire his lawyer post-conviction rather than have the lawyer file stays of execution, which are commonplace.

As for #2, I also agree with your point, but the fact of the matter is that even AFTER they get a taste, their actions indicate a preference for prison, e.g. Filing for every possible stay of execution, or appealing the penalty without trying to show innocence (e.g. Even though they're not going to get out of prison). Or Ted Bundy's example - here's a guy who NEVER would have been paroled. His wife finally came to realize he was guilty when, getting desperate with his execution date looming, he told her to tell the prosecutor that he'd provide the location to more bodies if his sentence would be delayed or reduced (can't remember exactly, but he was bargaining like a mofo).

So there's a great deal of evidence to suggest that even when they know what's involved, most prisoners prefer life in prison to no life at all.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Here it normally means a 99 year sentence, starting in a high security prison known as Cat A and over time moving through the sytem to Cat D which is an open prison and then after about 20 years or so being relesed on parole for life. Well asking what its like in prison is like asking what it's like outside.

Tommy
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
In the UK, parole boards will not consider early release unless the prisoner acknowledges guilt. This means that in cases of wrongful conviction, the falsely imprisoned must admit to the crime which they did not commit, in order to qualify for parole. People confess for all sorts of reasons.

In this case, however, there is no plausible reason to doubt the guilty verdict.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Insanity perhaps

Tommy
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 11:29, tomsk192 wrote:
In the UK, parole boards will not consider early release unless the prisoner acknowledges guilt. This means that in cases of wrongful conviction, the falsely imprisoned must admit to the crime which they did not commit, in order to qualify for parole. People confess for all sorts of reasons.

In this case, however, there is no plausible reason to doubt the guilty verdict.

If that were true (I'm not saying it isn't, or that there IS doubt, just that I, personally, don't know enough to say one way or the other) then that only addresses one possible concern with the death penalty.

There are still SO many others.

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Personally I don't think insanity ought to be a defence. It seems right but still if a mad dog killed your daughter wouldn't you kill it?

Tommy
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 11:42, gdw wrote:
Quote:

If that were true (I'm not saying it isn't, or that there IS doubt, just that I, personally, don't know enough to say one way or the other) then that only addresses one possible concern with the death penalty.

Yes, Glenn, I did ask earlier what your views were in terms of the "SO many others".
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 12:28, tomsk192 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-29 11:42, gdw wrote:
Quote:

Yes, Glenn, I did ask earlier what your views were in terms of the "SO many others".

Yes, and I answered you. In case you missed it, completely possible, here's my post:

Quote:
On 2013-08-29 08:55, gdw wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-08-28 16:58, tomsk192 wrote:
What would your other reasons be, Glenn?

While I believe killing in direct self defence is completely justified, similarly, stepping in to directly protect another, in direct threat, would also be justifiable.

However, this is in self DEFENCE, not self "retribution," or self "justice;" it is explicitly for the purpose of stopping someone from killing yourself in the moment. The killing here is not because it is just "punishment" for their attempts to kill you, it is simply because it may have been the only way to stop them and save your own life in that moment.

Killing someone after the fact is nothing but a distorted attempt at revenge. You can try and justify it as preventative of future actions by the person (which means you are punishing them for things they have no done,) or that it is a deterrent to others (which it is undeniably not,) but it is none of these things.

That's not to say that I don't believe there are people who probably deserve to die, or that I don't think the world would be a better place without them, we just don't have the right to make take that person's life.

It also does nothing to "right" the wrong of the crime they committed. Giving the survivors peace of mind is, unfortunate as it is, still revenge based reasoning. Also, their peace of mind is not exclusively obtainable through killing. Not to mention, seeing the perpetrator killed is not even guaranteed to give them any sort of closure. You are then killing a human being in the hopes that it MIGHT make people they harmed feel better.

Now, even I might value the survivor's feelings over the life of a murderer, that doesn't give me, or anyone else, the right to take said life. The ends do not justify the means. The means must be consistent with the ends.

tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Ah, thanks, Glenn, I did miss it.
gdw
View Profile
Inner circle
4884 Posts

Profile of gdw
No problem. I just posted it this morning, and we're already on another page. Easy to miss.
Just don't do it again!

tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Yes Sir!
silvercup
View Profile
Loyal user
223 Posts

Profile of silvercup
My objection is he isn't dead.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
The problem is you can't have a law and then say "well this dude was obviously guilty".

That leads to some pretty shady law.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:

While I believe killing in direct self defence is completely justified, similarly, stepping in to directly protect another, in direct threat, would also be justifiable.

However, this is in self DEFENCE, not self "retribution," or self "justice;" it is explicitly for the purpose of stopping someone from killing yourself in the moment. The killing here is not because it is just "punishment" for their attempts to kill you, it is simply because it may have been the only way to stop them and save your own life in that moment.

Killing someone after the fact is nothing but a distorted attempt at revenge. You can try and justify it as preventative of future actions by the person (which means you are punishing them for things they have no done,) or that it is a deterrent to others (which it is undeniably not,) but it is none of these things.

That's not to say that I don't believe there are people who probably deserve to die, or that I don't think the world would be a better place without them, we just don't have the right to make take that person's life.

It also does nothing to "right" the wrong of the crime they committed. Giving the survivors peace of mind is, unfortunate as it is, still revenge based reasoning. Also, their peace of mind is not exclusively obtainable through killing. Not to mention, seeing the perpetrator killed is not even guaranteed to give them any sort of closure. You are then killing a human being in the hopes that it MIGHT make people they harmed feel better.

Now, even I might value the survivor's feelings over the life of a murderer, that doesn't give me, or anyone else, the right to take said life. The ends do not justify the means. The means must be consistent with the ends.

What's the difference between saying that someone "deserves to die" (as you did) and saying that it's "justice" (as you deny)?

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Quote:
Quote:

The problem ("consequence," if you prefer) of the "it does nothing to write the wrong" rationale is that if you rely on it, you pretty much have to let murderers just go unpunished - the crime has been committed and can't be undone. I guess you could fine them for depriving families of their providers, but that's about it for "righting the wrong."

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fort Hood shooter sentenced to death: any objections? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL