The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Approach ~ by Jamie D. Grant (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Torquay22
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of Torquay22
Just received the book today and I read it cover to cover, which is incredible for me I have the attention span of a 4 year old, I bought this book as I have just started to perform to strangers and wanted to get some real world advice and that's exactly what I got and it can apply to so many aspects of magic. this book is also a way of developing a career in magic. as for a favourite chapter I would have to say chapter 4 about practise as its something you don't really get taught in other books and there is an aspect to my practice which I missed out and shall now be including thanks to this book. thank you so much jamie for writing this book its awesome
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Official Entrants

yin_howe: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Jmolomagic: Chapter 12~ Starting Conversations
Gianluca Hayes: Chapter 50~ Busted
Randy B: Chapter 58~ Remembering Names
smullins: Chapter 43~ Highs and Lows
Nate Green: Chapter 36~ The Handshake
willtupper: Chapter 95~ Busking
robvh: Chapter 5~ Magic Fridays
moshiman: Chapter 25~ Conquering Nerves
TomasSimkus: Chapter 7~ Website
Bobby Puga: Chapter 46~ Saying Goodbye To A Group
Tommytallica: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
matthewwhitt2: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Torquay22: Chapter 4~ How to Practice

All you need to do to enter is pick up copy of The Approach and write down your favourite chapter! That's it! I'll do a draw from these names and someone will win any one of my products plus a hundred dollars cashola! Fun!

Draw will be held on Dec.15

Quote:
On 2013-11-25 00:34, robvh wrote:
I haven't finished reading "The Approach" yet but I really enjoyed Chapters 4 & 5 on how to practice and the idea of "Magic Fridays". Implementing that advice has been occupying my mind of late. I think it's great advice for getting comfortable working with the type of clientele I want to ultimately work with. Doing restaurant magic at a family restaurant to practice can be very useful but also has some real limitations in terms of the type of material you can practice and hone.

I have to say that if "Magic Friday" is the one thing I was remembered for in the magic community- it would be worth it, lol. It was one of my greatest ideas:

1) It gets you impressions.
2) It helps you practice all aspects of magic.
3) It builds a following.

How many of y'all have started doing it? Any stories to share?

~jamie
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
matthewwhitt2
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of matthewwhitt2
Jamie, I actually went with chapter 42 - The First Words I Say. I don't know how much which chapter we pick matters, but just incase.
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
I have been doing magic Friday for last couple of months and it has been so much fun. My co workers and friends get excited and like to remind me that magic Fridays are coming up during the week. It's a great time to practice and get feedback before I even consider putting it in to my working set.
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
Jmolomagic, what do you do for a living? I'm curious what kind of environments these Magic Fridays are happening in.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
I love magic Friday as well Smile lots of fun!
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
moshiman
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of moshiman
Have started magic Friday over the last couple of weeks mainly performing for pupils in my class... Even if I'm awful I think they prefer it to Maths...
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Quote:
On 2013-11-28 01:06, robvh wrote:
Jmolomagic, what do you do for a living? I'm curious what kind of environments these Magic Fridays are happening in.

I am a civilian working for the U.S Military. There is a lot of down time to practice and perform for my civilian co workers and the military. Smile
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
Gleemax17
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Gleemax17
I recognize a lot of things Jamie wrote in his awesome book in myself and my style of performing! I read a lot of theory on magic and this book is something new and refreshing. I really miss Magic Friday, but Jamie succeeded in bundling all the information in one book. Really easy to read and above all very practical.

Most helpful for myself:

#23 Anecdote: what does my contract look like.
Really really helpful to see how an other professional writes his e-mails! Jamie has a great positive and polite style of communication.

TIP for all magicians: #64 Anecdote: what to never borrow.
Great advice! I hear a lot of horror stories from fellow magicians. Guys do yourself a favor and follow Jamie's advice! Please!
I think a lot of new magicians should read this! Totally agree what Jamie wrote in this chapter.

Took this picture from the book with in the background other great theory on magic, do you recognize some?http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=597335373634849&l=f617391a86
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1241 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
Chapter 32-The Big Secret- Truly a game changer, when it comes to approaching groups. So simple, yet so powerful.

Ken
Raymond Singson
View Profile
Loyal user
259 Posts

Profile of Raymond Singson
Chapter 25: Conquering Nerves was a really practical article that a lot of magicians-- professionals and amateurs alike-- can relate to a learn from. It resonated with me a lot. But like others have already said-- my absolute favorite article, Chapter 32: The Big Secret, was a really amazing, worthwhile gem.

RS.
“The purpose of art is to lay bare the questions which have been hidden by the answers.” -- James Arthur Baldwin

raymond.singson@gmail.com
Anthony Black
View Profile
Special user
Tamworth - Albion
855 Posts

Profile of Anthony Black
Well Jamie...

I started to read your book last night in bed. 6am and I was still reading it, so I thought I may as well stay up now, so I have not slept today...and it's all your fault...

Thank You! Smile

I'll be completely honest (sorry) here, Jamie recommends that you 'make the book your own', write in it, make notes etc.

I decided not to, as I thought...

"Well, if it's not for me I can sell it on, or give it away as a gift."

Well, I'll be hanging on to this! I'll be having another read through in a couple of days, I'll make it my own as I have no intention of letting this one go.

This is a goldmine of useful information, it would be hard for me to chose a favorite chapter. I LOVED the Secret and will be using it 100%, fantastic idea Sir.

I really enjoyed chapter 82: Hecklers Article and whole wholeheartedly agree with your views on this subject.

There are many things released to the Magic community (daily) so sometimes it's a shame as the good stuff will often get missed for the latest new toy, this is the good stuff.

If you are just getting into Magic, read, learn, apply these (hard won) lessons and you will be on the road to success within no time.

If you have been around for years, read, learn, apply and you will be on the road to (even more!) success within no time.

One of my favorite purchases in a long time and my favorite books of this year, no doubt.

Buy it and if you don't learn anything from it...read it again.

Anyway, enough from me...I need sleep...

- AnthonyyyyyyyzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZ
Tim Hannig
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago area
1149 Posts

Profile of Tim Hannig
Chapter 32 - the Big Secret

love it
love it
love it!
Author of PERFORM, the 2020 Magic Cafe Book of the Year

"I loved this book!" Ken Weber

"4 out of 4 stars!" Nick Lewin

"This will be a classic of magic!" Mark Pocan

performbettershows.com
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
Official Entrants

yin_howe: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Jmolomagic: Chapter 12~ Starting Conversations
Gianluca Hayes: Chapter 50~ Busted
Randy B: Chapter 58~ Remembering Names
smullins: Chapter 43~ Highs and Lows
Nate Green: Chapter 36~ The Handshake
willtupper: Chapter 95~ Busking
robvh: Chapter 5~ Magic Fridays
moshiman: Chapter 25~ Conquering Nerves
TomasSimkus: Chapter 7~ Website
Bobby Puga: Chapter 46~ Saying Goodbye To A Group
Tommytallica: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
matthewwhitt2: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Torquay22: Chapter 4~ How to Practice
matthewwhitt2: Chapter 42~ The First Words I Say
Gleemax17: Chapter 23~ What Does my Contract Look Like
Ken Dumm: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Raymond Singson: Chapter 25~ Conquering Nerves
Anthony Black: Chapter 82~ Hecklers
Tim Hannig: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret

Who's next?

All you need to do to enter is pick up copy of The Approach and write down your favourite chapter! That's it! I'll do a draw from these names and someone will win any one of my products plus a hundred dollars cashola! Fun!

Draw will be held on Dec.15

Thanks, gang! I LOVE seeing what everyone takes away from the book. And thanks for the review, Anthony! That is so kind! Sorry about the lack of sleep, lol.

Gleemax17~ Yeah, contracts are very hard to come by. I'm not sure why? But they are a MUST. I would love to know if others do anything different with theirs.

And it looks like The Big Secret is a popular one. I was going to sell this as a "stand alone" item years ago- I'm so happy I could include a book with it, lol. And it really changed my performing life. I wonder if one day we'll see everyone doing it? That would be cool!
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
Alex DLF
View Profile
Inner circle
1997 Posts

Profile of Alex DLF
Mine would be the one with business cards do the chapter 6 Smile
Get yourself Stamper and MONU, the perfect walkaround packet tricks: https://youtu.be/rwtfeKFeLms & https://youtu.be/yz5yKlI-4w8

Make sure to check my English review Channel! http://www.youtube.com/c/alexisreviews
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1177 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Chapter 39: my first effect
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
CdnAndrew
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
This is hard. It's great because it got me to flip through the book again trying to decide my favourite chapter.

Chapter 46 - Saying goodbye to your Group
I think this one is simple but important.

Chapter 42 - The first words I say
I love that your approach is professional. It's not about being cheesy for a laugh. It's about being genuine. I love it.

But I believe the chapter that had the most profound impact to my everyday life was:
Chapter 8 - How Do You Look?
It's important to always look presentable and I found that I didn't always follow that advise. It was easy to take a day off shaving, or putting on a tee shirt instead of a nice button-up when going out on some errands.

Thanks Jamie for such a fantastic resource.
Grant Mitchell
View Profile
New user
Edinburgh, Scotland
22 Posts

Profile of Grant Mitchell
Thanks for writing this book Jamie. Reading this couldn't have been timed better.

Chapter 32 - The Big Secret
EVILDAN
View Profile
Inner circle
1279 Posts

Profile of EVILDAN
Chapter 26 - How to get the gigs.
I admit, it's the second chapter I turned to, the first being The Big Secret.

Great info. I started to elaborate, but stopped. Go buy the book.

EVILDAN.
by EVILDAN....
"The Coin Board Book" - moves and routines with the coin panel board. - http://www.lybrary.com/the-coin-board-book-p-827955.html
"SLASHER - A Horror Whodunnit" - a bizarre close-up routine based on Bob Neale's "Sole Survivor."
PM me for more info.
"Zombie Town" - a packet effect about how a small town turned into zombies. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nzJhcoJtyOM
shawn popp
View Profile
Veteran user
Denver
313 Posts

Profile of shawn popp
The Approach is fantastic. I am a full time performer and found a ton of useful info.
Jamie's approach to pricing was very good, not to mention is advice on contracts and phone scripts.
For me though, the Big Secret was worth the price of the book. I implemented this immediately.

Well done Jamie!!

shawn
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Approach ~ by Jamie D. Grant (4 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL