The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Approach ~ by Jamie D. Grant (4 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Jerskin
View Profile
Inner circle
2496 Posts

Profile of Jerskin
Thought there'd be more interest in this book. I guess books with tricks sell more.
GrEg oTtO

MUNDUS VULT DECIPI
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
I think there's a lot more interest than you'd expect. It's been a best seller in Penguin and tons of great reviews are out there.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
as seen in Ripley's Believe It or Not! Twice!
2413 Posts

Profile of Jamie D. Grant
WARNING: Looooooooooooooooooooooooooong post, lol.

Quote:
On 2013-11-23 20:45, Jerskin wrote:

Thought there'd be more interest in this book. I guess books with tricks sell more.

I was thinking the exact same thing today! Not about the sales part (even though you are 100% correct- without question) but about the online "chatter"- or lack of it here!

And, as anyone who knows me will tell you- I LOVE marketing. So if it's okay with you guys, I'd love to explore it a bit here. When I started the thread about The Approach over at The Latest and Greatest section- I really wanted to start from the very beginning to help people who wanted to write a book themselves. So let's take it a bit further and see how the online marketing continues! Maybe this will help people who have written a book and are working to sell more copies. I hope this can help!

When I created Industrial Revelation- I had no idea how big it was going to get! Not only the trick, but the thread! Holy Smokes! It has over 200,000 views, but also has 2000 replies and 70 pages! Why?

1) It's a trick- which not only will outsell a book (that doesn't have tricks) - but will also have more 'anticipation'. How does it look? Can it be performed surrounded? Will it make me famous? Etc.
2) There's "routining" that is required with an effect- and is super fun to talk about with your online friends.
3) There's specific experiences (after performing) that you can share.

I also had some contests which really helped the thread catch on.

Okay, with The Approach, I'll be 100% honest with you (as I always am). It's been an absolute smash hit for us (my family). I did an initial run of 225 draft copies (which sold out) and then did the other run of 1000- which I thought would last me a year or so. Well, we've already burned through almost 700 in just over a month or so!! Wha?! That's crazy! And the weird thing is- on Penguin- it's gets nothing but 5 Star reviews and is a Top Seller:

Customer Reviews

Best Book I Own Report this review
Shawn Mullins from Boston on October 16th, 2013

This is the book that has got me to think differently about magic. Not only is Jamie's conversational tone easy to read, the information about magic performance and business is gold.

I place this up there with my love for Royal Road to Card Magic.

If you know a few good tricks that people like and think "I might want to perform for people" this is for you! Or if you are thinking "I want to perform for MORE people and get MORE gigs" this is also for you. Since reading I've been offered a bunch of great gigs and even had to turn some down.

If you have the book and have a question, shoot Jamie an e-mail! He really is the nicest guy in the industry and giving away all of his secrets.

Matt P from Denver, CO on October 15th, 2013

This book is amazing! I purchased a draft copy of this book at Magic Live from Jamie and have read it 3 times already and referenced chapters many times over. Invaluable advice from a working pro that will positively change your magic performance and business and simply make you AWESOME! Jamie's infectious passion for sharing and helping shines through in this book and every detail you can possibly imagine is discussed. BUY THIS NOW!!

No hyperbole; it's GREAT Report this review
Verified buyer Mario Orsini from WV on October 25th, 2013

About a week ago I decided to pick up Jamie’s book, “The Approach.” While is not cheap for a book, I thought Jamie had shared so much information for free over the years that it was a fair asking price.

I finished reading the book in 2 days and I think I can sum it up in one word…”Enthusiasm.”

Jamie’s enthusiasm and love of performing magic pours out of the pages of the book. When reading it, you can’t help but to be excited as well. There is TONS of valuable information packed inside. Some things I already knew but there were so many things I had NEVER thought of! There will probably be some things you disagree with…that’s ok. As Jamie says (I’m paraphrasing), “We’re all different.”

I put “The Approach” in my top 5 magic books I’ve read (please don’t ask me the other 4 right now). If you are a magician (close-up, stage, whatever), you should read this book. I’ve never met Jamie before but if we’re ever in the same place, I’m going to buy him a beer or 3 because 1) he seems like he’d be awesome to hang out with and 2) he deserves it for all he’s shared with the magic community, including this book.

Verified buyer Sean Mccarthy from Dublin, Ireland. on November 8th, 2013

This is it. Nobody ever has to ask any questions about becoming a professional magician ever again. Jamie writes in an easy to understand and interesting manner. Even if you don't like reading you will love this book. Jamie covers absolutely everything you would ever need to know to have a long and successful professional career.
But what if your already a professional? You still need this! Even if you have been a working magician your whole life you will still get invaluable information in this book.
The approach is inspiring and a true gem of magic. This will in no doubt soon become a classic and something on every magicians bookshelf.
BUY THIS NOW!

SendWonder Report this review
C. Stanislas from Central Valley, CA on November 2nd, 2013

About a week ago on Twitter, Jamie posted a tweet that said, "I just sent magic care package to somebody and they don't even know it." That person was me. And included was The Approach, I immediately started reading and my god! This book had everything you ever wanted from a book on becoming a walk-around magician. I have been asking professionals a bunch of questions; how much to charge, how many tricks should I perform and have ready...etc. ALL of these questions and more are answered in this book. Things you may have never even thought of; "What do I say when leaving a group". This book should be read, consumed and put to practical use. Everything I have read so far is great advice and practical and is written in such a way you won't get bored, it's highly interactive and an easy read. Simply put; I needed a book like this, I needed THIS book, I just didn't know it. A TRULY GREAT BOOK!

INSPIRING Report this review
Sasha Crespi from Paris on November 1st, 2013

This book is fantastic!
It inspired me to better myself physically but also think twice about simple things about nails.
Jamie goes straight to the point, most books take 3 or 4 pages to convey a point, Jamie does it in half.
He puts deadlines and gives you some tips that you would have never thought were necessary, but in actuality, the tells you they are important and why.

I can only give this my highest reccomandation

Sincere person Report this review
Verified buyer Jason Jacobs from Cincinnati Ohio on October 19th, 2013

I haven't finished the book, I just started this morning, but am really enjoying it. Already I got my money's worth I feel. I really like Jamie's sincere honesty and the self help aspect of the book which translate to all aspects of one's life. I am looking forward to more products and DVDs from Jamie. He is a true gentleman.
Did this review help you?
Do Your Homework ... Report this review

So what's the deal? If it's doing so well, how come it's not getting talked about over here at The Magic Café which, for the most part, I call my home?

Let's analyze it!

1) This section of the Café (Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes) has 1/4 of the threads than Tricks and Effects- and the Latest and Greatest. For us booklovers (I know I'm not alone, lol) it's a bit of an uphill battle.
2) I am an equally guilty party! I haven't really started a bunch of book threads, either. This also means that I'm not "as known" in this section of The Café.
3) I haven't had a contest yet.

Okay so, how do I fix it? Or, if you just wrote a book- how do you get Café hype while still not coming off like a salesman?

A) Start more discussions about books you love and about books in general (I'm going to start doing that, I reckon).
B) Take out a paid Ad here on the Magic Café to help Steve out and so that you're a "paying advertiser" (I've been a paying advertiser for 7 years!)and can justify your actions a bit.
C) Ask your friends on social media to come over and take part in the discussion (I'll do that tonight).
D) Give back- hold a contest and give something away! And I think I'll do that right now...

The Approach Official "Let's Get People Talking About It" Contest!

Hiya Gang!

On Dec.15, I'm going to draw a name from everyone who enters here- for a chance to win any one of my products! An "Anything Is Possible" bottle, an Industrial Revelation, a Vault, or another copy of The Approach! Not only that- but I'll also add in $100 cash!

How do you enter?

1) Buy a copy of The Approach!
2) Write (here on this thread) the name of your favourite chapter! That's it! If you want, you can tell us a bit about why it's your favourite, too (as long as you don't talk about the Big Secret) but you don't have to! Just the Chapter Number and Title.

That's it!

Okay, well let's see if this whole thread worked!

Your pal,

jamie
http://www.SendWonder.com
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Kindness takes practice. My TEDx talk
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
985 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Being that the entire book are full of super useful and practical advice/information, almost every chapter can be considered my favorite.

So, I'll just pick one for entering this draw.
Chapter 32: The Big Secret Smile
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
Hybrid Hunter
View Profile
Regular user
Sydney, Australia
140 Posts

Profile of Hybrid Hunter
Can we enter if we've only purchased the draft copy?
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2413 Posts

Absolutely!!

The draft purchaser were the ones the helped me get the book actually finished! It would be an honor to have opportunity to perhaps give you something back!

Official Entrants

yin_howe: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
TRICK OF THE YEAR: Industrial Revelation, BOOK OF THE YEAR: The Approach, The AIP Bottle, and my new book Scenic 52, can all be found over here: SendWonder.com
Jmolomagic
View Profile
Veteran user
Victorville
332 Posts

Profile of Jmolomagic
Hey Jamie! Draft Copy #20 here.

If I had to pick just ONE chapter in this book it would be chapter 12 -Starting Conversations. It was a tough choice but one sentence said it all for me...."Don't forget, your goal isn't reactions. Your goal is connection."

Once again I want to thank you for releasing a WONDERful book.

Jonathan Molo
Master Magician
http://www.JonathanMolo.com
Jonathan Molo
360-989-6602
www.JonathanMolo.com
Gianluca
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Gianluca
@yin_howe loved that trick, "The second big secret" was great as well (no idea what chapter that is)

Lent out my copy to cousin who wanted to skim it before purchasing so I cant remember the chapter number but to pick one chapter (which is extremely difficult) it would have to be:

"Busted" and "Hecklers" - I know I chose two, I lied but that's what we magicians do!

Keep it up J and best of luck with your hand.

*edit* just called cousin: chapter 50 and chapter 82
Randy B
View Profile
Regular user
103 Posts

Profile of Randy B
I'd go with chapter 58, always had an issue with remembering peoples names and this helped out a lot!
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
678 Posts

Profile of smullins
Well I 100% love this book and really do value it like I value Royal Road. If you want to be a professional this should be required reading for sure! Even if you are a hobbyist with the intentions of performing for real people.

My favorite chapter is: 43: Highs and lows

Just something I connect with. It's pretty darn hard to pick a favorite though!

By the way! Hope your hand is healing up!
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
Nate Green
View Profile
New user
Working my way past
75 Posts

Profile of Nate Green
Too much good stuff in there! However, one of my favorites that I've already put in to practice is in chapter 36: The Handshake.

"Let's try that again."
Jamie D. Grant
View Profile
V.I.P.
2413 Posts

Hurrah! This will be great! And I think your odds will be fairly good...

Official Entrants

yin_howe: Chapter 32~ The Big Secret
Jmolomagic: Chapter 12~ Starting Conversations
Gianluca Hayes: Chapter 50~ Busted
Randy B: Chapter 58~ Remembering Names
smullins: Chapter 43~ Highs and Lows
Nate Green: Chapter 36~ The Handshake

All you need to do to enter is pick up copy of The Approach and write down your favourite chapter! That's it! I'll do a draw from these names and someone will win any one of my products plus a hundred dollars cashola! Fun!

Draw will be held on Dec.15

And since this contest is about getting a conversation going, I'm going to try and comment a bit on people's selections. Nate, for example, it's crazy how often I do that one! Why do people try and shake hands like that, lol. But I did exactly what I said about a week ago. Everyone laughed and it didn't happen again!

And Randy B, it's funny how much just stopping and taking a second actually helps. We're always in such a rush to get introductions done. Why? I take my time.
willtupper
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of willtupper
Chapter Number: 95

Chapter Title: Busking

There's a line in that chapter that completely resonated with me.

Reminded me a bit of "Habit," a wonderful essay by writer David Mamet, from his book "True and False: Heresy and Common Sense for the Actor."

It's like life advice, even more than just for practice & performance.
robvh
View Profile
Elite user
Calgary, AB
440 Posts

Profile of robvh
I haven't finished reading "The Approach" yet but I really enjoyed Chapters 4 & 5 on how to practice and the idea of "Magic Fridays". Implementing that advice has been occupying my mind of late. I think it's great advice for getting comfortable working with the type of clientele I want to ultimately work with. Doing restaurant magic at a family restaurant to practice can be very useful but also has some real limitations in terms of the type of material you can practice and hone.
Gianluca
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Gianluca
Quote:
And Randy B, it's funny how much just stopping and taking a second actually helps. We're always in such a rush to get introductions done. Why? I take my time.

Couldn't agree more: the Approach is not only applicable for magicians but for any performer (well really its even good for non-performers if you just want to learn a trick or 2 while improving on your presentation and social skills)

Remembering names has always been an issue but thanks to this (as well as Dee's "How to improve your memory in 10 minutes") it makes it much easier to retrieve this information and as we all know as performers we strive to create a connection rather than get reactions (I loved that part of the approach; well said Jamie; put beautifully). Not only is this good for names but its good for all kinds of memory feats - you could even apply those to memorising a deck in 2 minutes (well done on that!) as taking ones time is so important - it helps keep us calm as well. You don't want to rush it.

Hope this starts some conversation.
moshiman
View Profile
New user
2 Posts

Profile of moshiman
Draft copy #44 here - Picking a favourite chapter from this book is difficult as I absolutely love this book but I think my favourite chapter has to be 'Conquering Nerves' (chapter 25)...
Thanks again Jamie for being such an inspiration.
TomasSimkus
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of TomasSimkus
Hey!

Draft Copy #43

Favorite chapter - all of them! To name one is difficult, but I would say 7 - Website. It has way more quality info than just about website.
Bobby Puga
View Profile
Loyal user
El Centro, CA
201 Posts

Profile of Bobby Puga
Hiya Jamie!

Draft #89

To many to choose from... one of the many:

Chapter 46 - Saying Goodbye To A Group

"I have to go but just yell at me if you want to see more." -JDG
Customized greatly...
Tommytallica
View Profile
New user
uuuh jeg har skrevet
95 Posts

Profile of Tommytallica
Chapter 32
Why... It's a secret ;-)
matthewwhitt2
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of matthewwhitt2
This contest is harder than I thought it would be. I got a draft copy awhile ago and read it through right away. So much good information all throughout this book! I wanted to say chapter 32 - The Big Secret was my favorite. It did make me laugh a bit and made sooo much sense! Since that is kindda what most people are saying, I'll choose chapter 42 - The First Words I say as my entry. In a way it goes hand in hand with chapter 32 (as I guess the rest of the book does as well), but I had to change what I said when I "Approach" people after reading that chapter.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » The Approach ~ by Jamie D. Grant (4 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL