The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Soften up new sponge balls? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Yes, you really must line your pocket with a plastic bag if you are using damp sponges. I mentioned the dyes in an earlier post. I have had sponge ball dye bleed over many times when using sponges that were the least bit damp.

They can also mess up your playing cards.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
MagicAndBlackjack
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of MagicAndBlackjack
If you don't have water on hand or carry it with you, simply blowing on the sponge ball makes it much softer and easier to manipulate.
Piglet
View Profile
New user
Edmonton, Canada
81 Posts

Profile of Piglet
Is there anyway you can break-in a sponge square to make it easier to but pushed into the square?
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22797 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
No!
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Sponge balls get sticky with the oils and lotions from you and your spectators hands and don't fluff up fast. Periodically, depending on use, wash them with dishwashing soap, like Ivory. In between times, use just water and shake them out and blot them with a paper towel. They will be larger and softer and when they finally dry out, just moisten them again. Treated this way, they last for years.

Kirk G.
irossall
View Profile
Special user
Snohomish, Washington
529 Posts

Profile of irossall
Quote:
On 2004-02-04 21:15, MageofMeadows wrote:

I would like to know how on earth these things are made. Is it someone with a lot of time on their hands? Or some sort of machinery? I expect the spherical ones are machine cut. Either way it would be interesting to know the "inner secrets" of the technique.

I don't remember where I heard or read this but supposedly when Albert Goshman made his balls in his garage, he froze the sponge material and worked it on a lathe.
Could just be another one of those "Urban Legends" of the Magic community.
Iven Smile
Give the gift of Life, Be an Organ Donor.
kinesis
View Profile
Inner circle
Scotland, surrounded by
2708 Posts

Profile of kinesis
I always totally soak my sponges in water then towel dry them before I work the tables. If your working a restaurant then a quick trip to the mensroom will give you the chance to wash your balls!!! I have been using red balls but recently changed to day-glo yellow (If I drop them on the red carpet in the restaurant I can spot them instantly.) I found however that the Day-Glo colour washes out very easily and now I am left with sponges that are a kind of washed out yellow colour. I would never dream of using alcohol as water seems an easier and just as effective solution (pun intended!)
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein

FACEBOOK
Darck Ninja
View Profile
New user
SLC-UTAH
76 Posts

Profile of Darck Ninja
Quote:
On 2004-02-18 07:08, irossall wrote:
Quote:
On 2004-02-04 21:15, MageofMeadows wrote:

I would like to know how on earth these things are made. Is it someone with a lot of time on their hands? Or some sort of machinery? I expect the spherical ones are machine cut. Either way it would be interesting to know the "inner secrets" of the technique.

I don't remember where I heard or read this but supposedly when Albert Goshman made his balls in his garage, he froze the sponge material and worked it on a lathe.
Could just be another one of those "Urban Legends" of the Magic community.
Iven Smile

I don't know how Goshman did it, but now its all injection-molded Polyurethane, I believe. Working them on a Lathe would just be too much work. That is an awesome story, though...

-The Darck One
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He who does not know it and can no longer wonder, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed." Einstein
noahrobd
View Profile
New user
16 Posts

Profile of noahrobd
Is it damaging to wash sponge balls in a washing machine or dish washer using clothes detergent or dishwasher detergent?
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
If you are going to wash them in your clothes washer, you need to put them in one of those little bags that you put delicat fabrics into. Use a cold water setting. Do not mix colors of sponge together. In other words wash only red or green or whatever.

Sponge balls are perishable. Heat will break them down. And personally, I think the idea of dampening the sponges before a performance, unless you live in a very dry area, is not really a good one. The dampness invites mildew and other fungi.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
impossible man
View Profile
Elite user
403 Posts

Profile of impossible man
What about having a soaked sponge ball switched into your routine and wringing it out as a gag, over a saucer, or empty glass? Just a thought. Don't do it when it's new with all that dye, though.
Dean Gilbert
Impossible Man
www.impossibleman.net
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I find that supersoft spongeballs are so super and so soft that there is no need to soften anything up.

Before I use mine (and only if I remember) I rinse them in water, add a little dish soap, wash, a quick rinse, and towel dry. Makes them double in size (for a while) and they look great.

This is not something to worry about. Spongeballs are cheap, disposible, and don't last that long anyway.

I buy them by the bag o' 50.

I've made a personal decision never to worry about trying to increase the lifetime of my cards and my spongeballs and I'm a happier individual for it.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
senoj derfla
View Profile
New user
Australia
31 Posts

Profile of senoj derfla
Frank whare can I buy sponge balls by the bag of 50?
Kelvin W Sherlock
View Profile
New user
73 Posts

Profile of Kelvin W Sherlock
Goshman sells them by the 50-ball bag - ask your dealer.
senoj derfla
View Profile
New user
Australia
31 Posts

Profile of senoj derfla
Australian dealers??? yeah! Right!!
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
I sell them by the bag of 50 right here

http://www.theambitiouscard.com/details........55R_red
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Frank be careful they don't end up in the laundry. LOL sorry had to be done.
Douglas.M
View Profile
Elite user
465 Posts

Profile of Douglas.M
The best way to prepare them is to brush them with fresh lard and then roll them gently in confectioners sugar.

Wait, what were we talking about?

Oh yeah, sponge balls!

I second the breath method: just put them in your fist and puff away (breath mint optional). They will visibly swell up.

I only wash them when they get grungy, but that's just me (a bit lazy perhaps).

Douglas M.

P.S.: Frank, I keep going to your site and drooling over that two-piece wand. I think some business will be coming your way.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Soften up new sponge balls? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL