The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Virginia City Shuffle » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Brandon Harper
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, Texas
207 Posts

Profile of Brandon Harper
Does anyone out there perform "Virginia City Shuffle". I began performing it about 2 years ago, and it has become a staple in my program. However, periodically I have had some people notice times when I do the reverse fan. Any advice on this, or is this just a hazard of the trick. Any help would be appreciated.
Rapidmagic
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Rapidmagic
When you are doing the reverse fan, make sure the top right hand corner of each card is level, or below the top of the last card, about 1/3 of the way in from the left.

(hope you understand that!)

Then use your thumb on top, and your three middle fingers on the underside when you are displaying the aces- this way there is no way the specs could spot the aces.

Tom

http://www.rapidmagic.com -online card sleights and tricks database
Jim Morton
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of Jim Morton
I perform the Virginia City Shuffle all the time. I've never had that happen. It's possible that you are encountering unusually card-savvy people, but I suspect it's more likely one of two things.

First, there's really no reason they should ever pay attention to how you are fanning the cards unless you are paying attention to how you fan the cards. The fan should be casually done, not carefully done. It shouldn't be important.

Second possibility is that these are people who have seen you perform this trick before, and so they are watching for anomalies. Even here, I can think of why they would notice, unless they had a reason to suspect the fan.

Jim
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Jim's suggestions about cover it, but if you lose confidence in the trick do Sidewalk Shuffle instead.

I saw Ammar do it on a videotape and give the cards away, which looked good for the tape but I thought a few moments playing with the cards and they would soon reconstruct the reverse fan aspect.

There are other displays in the routine showing the cards blank so as Jim says the fan shouldn't be that important.

Paul.
Brandon Harper
View Profile
Loyal user
Austin, Texas
207 Posts

Profile of Brandon Harper
Thanks for all your help. I think that the couple of time that it has happened was because they had seen me do the trick before. Thanks again.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Virginia City Shuffle » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL