The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Routining Advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
Hi folks,
I was wondering if anyone had suggestions as to how to routine the following card effects into groups of 2-3...

Twisting the Aces
Dr Daley's Last Trick
Card Warp
That's It
Ambitious Card
8-card brainwave
Red Hot Mama
OverKill
Triumph
Las Vegas Leaper

Color Monte (without the special cards)
Ultimate 3 card Monte
Twisted Sisters
Invisible Deck.

... You may recognize the ungaffed effects as all being from Michael Ammar's EZ2MCM series, which they are. He already routines them but as you can see I have some great gimmicked effects that I love that I'd like to work them in in a logical flow. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Adrian.
Smile Smile
espalding
View Profile
New user
St. Louis
59 Posts

Profile of espalding
Adrian,

I can't help you completely because I don't know all of those tricks, but I do have the Ammar videos and the Color Monte.

To me, pulling out 8-card brainwave first makes sense because you're trying to establish a "psychic connection" with the spectactor. I think Ammar even says to treat it more like an experiment than a trick, which I think makes it a good opener.

I like Color Monte next (but I like the special cards) just because of the story and the impact.

Overkill is good, but it does require some setup, which means it must be done early in the routine, so I'd probably go with it next.

Then it would be easy to go to into That's It, Triumph, and Las Vegas Leaper (in whatever order) since they don't require setup. The funny thing about That's It and Triumph is that, if you stick with Ammar's patter, both stories involve someone trying to mess up the magician. I'm not sure if that makes them good next to each other or not.

It's then easy to pull the aces from the deck and go to Twisting the Aces and Dr. Daley's Last Trick.

BTW, although I like Twisting the Aces, the coupe of times I've performed it for people, it didn't have much impact. Maybe the effect is a little too subtle. Dr. Daley's Lst Trick, while much simpler in my mind, had far greater impact.

Hope that helps.

Eric.
adrianbent
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of adrianbent
Thanks for your reply! ... and I've found the EXACT same thing with Twisting the Aces/ Dr Daley. Dr Daley is a stunner, Twisting isn't so much (?)
secondbaseman
View Profile
Loyal user
Amsterdam
225 Posts

Profile of secondbaseman
Same here. Never had great reactions out of twisting the aces.

Niels
Leeman
View Profile
Special user
Hollywood, CA
709 Posts

Profile of Leeman
The best I can do is tell you how I would personally put together a routine using these effects because a routine is a very subjective thing to the individual. I don't know how strong your presentation of these effects are. But this is the way I would set them up.

8 card brainwave
hed hot mama
ambitious card
color monte(with the climax card being the signed selection from the AC routine)
triumph

I don't know if the triumph is the strongest closer but I do think that you should use the singed card as the last card in color monte. I didn't put in any of the gimmicked card stuff because you don't have a smooth transition between them. You could use a packet trick or invisible deck and then do something other then cards and then come back to cards. I also left out overkill becasue of the set up and I left out card warp because you have to have a multiple sets of cards prepared for each performance.
Vanished Zauberer
View Profile
Regular user
Canada
147 Posts

Profile of Vanished Zauberer
Who are you performing this for?
"Stress is when you wake up screaming and you you realize you haven't even fallen asleep"

MagicTy
www.magicty.iwarp.com
Aus
View Profile
Special user
Australia
929 Posts

Profile of Aus
Ok here is my take on what you could routine out of the tricks listed. Keeping to the 2 to 3 trick sets are you indicated I would suggest the following.

Ambitious Card
Triumph
Las Vasas leaper

Notes: These three effects have one common element among them and that is an object travelling. It is with this fact that will aid you in transitioning the effects together to create that routined look. Most importantly you have to offer a good reason why things are happening, and this is where your patter comes into play. Why are the cards doing what there doing? How come there doing it? Make sure that you give this in your presentation other wise you routine will seems as a pointless activity.

Next effect I would routine would be:

Card Warp
Color Monte
Ultimate 3 Card Monte

Notes: Card Warp Sticks to the standard opening type effect, Quick, visual and flashy. The changing aspect of Card warp is smiler in many respects to the constant changing and movement of the cards in the Monte routines, so a possible link could be made here. Just a note, I would not perform colour Monte in its entirety because that changing of the cards in Ultimate Monte will more then enough to make for the moronity of the routine. I would however keep the colour Monte ending of a card changing at the end and incorpate that in the Ultimate Monte because I feel there could be a stronger climax which this routine lacks.

That’s it mate, I don’t know the other effects so I can’t routine them but I think that’s should give ya a fair idea.

Magically

Aus
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Routining Advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL