The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Syria: how will the vote go? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3..7..10..13..16..19..23~24~25 [Next]
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
To my American cousins:

Do you think the vote will be in favour of or against the military action President Obama desires?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Profile of mastermindreader
It could go either way, depending on how well the administration makes the case that Syria must be sanctioned militarily for violating international agreements by nearly all of the world's governments prohibiting the use of chemical weapons.

It is good to see that the President stayed true to his pre-election promise and will not initiate action without Congressional approval. This is the way it should ALWAYS be unless our nation itself is under threat of imminent attack. Then and only then, should the President be permitted to unilaterally use force pursuant to the War Powers Resolution.

I am greatly relieved that the President has chosen to do the right thing. (But I guarantee he'll get attacked for it by those whose only interests are to seek political advantage in any crisis.)

My guess, though, is that a limited strategic strike against chemical weapons delivery sites and systems will be authorized. But the vote will be close, particularly in the House of Representatives.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I have no idea how it will go.

I am glad the president showed the backbone to do the RIGHT thing. This is the right thing no matter what he spoke about red lines. I have to say he showed political courage. I commend him.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

As should we all.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
If you are reading this thread, Danny, don't worry. On your behalf, I have already reported that your account was hacked into.

:)
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
If the vote is influenced by party politics, do the lines fall roughly into Hawkish Republicans and Dovish Democrats, or does each party have its own divisions?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

In foreign policy matters both parties definitely have their own divisions. Neo-con Republicans, for example, will likely favor intervention, while those who lean toward libertarianism and the tea party will probably be opposed. And there are hawkish Democrats as well, particularly when if the issue is seen as a matter of protecting innocent citizens from the use of chemical weapons. The whole hawks and doves dichotomy has changed considerably over the last forty years.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Thanks, Bob. How about your local representatives, do you have an inkling as to how they will vote?

Anyone else in other parts of the US, how do you think your local representatives will vote?
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

I'm really not sure how they will vote. Again, a lot depends on if they are persuaded that the situation demands this kind of response and that military action will produce a positive result. And, frankly, I'm not so sure myself how I would vote if I were in their position.

I'll listen to the Congressional debate and then decide which position is more persuasive to me.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
For sure. I gather that the main meat of intelligence has been supplied by Mossad, who have a reputation for efficiency and ingenuity, but of course have a vested interest in Syrian politics, understandably.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
After the Syrian Governent have been taken out by our American cousins and changed to one which is an enemy of our American cousins, then what are our American cousins going to do next I wonder.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Commit troops.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
Our American cousin Obama is in SHOCK after FSA admit they did the CHEMICAL ATTACK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VVEC8Aro7w

But it is intersting that our French cousins are foaming at the mouth for war, ain't it?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Very.

Incidentally, President Obama said that the UK Parliament "failed to pass" a similar motion. I would suggest that, in fact, the motion was "rejected".

Don't get too hung up on the phrase "American cousins", Tommy, it's the language of diplomacy, nothing more.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Don't "failed to pass" and "rejected" mean the same thing? Kind of like, "He failed to win the election" and "He lost the election."
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
The US government will be at war in Syria , sooner or later.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-08-31 15:50, tommy wrote:
Our American cousin Obama is in SHOCK after FSA admit they did the CHEMICAL ATTACK

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VVEC8Aro7w

But it is intersting that our French cousins are foaming at the mouth for war, ain't it?

I see you're back with the links to Alex Jones's BS. The fact that you give credibility to anything that crazed conspiracy theorist rants about never ceases to amaze me.
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Quote:
On 2013-08-31 17:57, mastermindreader wrote:
Don't "failed to pass" and "rejected" mean the same thing? Kind of like, "He failed to win the election" and "He lost the election."

I think it would be accurate to say that David Cameron "failed to pass" or better still "failed to get through" the motion. Parliament, made up of elected members, did not fail to do anything, they voted against it, with a reasonable majority; they rejected it. In the same way, when Parliament passes a bill, they do not succeed, they vote in favour of it, they accept it.

It is slightly nit-picking, but the devil in politics is in the detail, as it is in so much else. If our democratically elected Parliament had voted in favour of this motion, I dare say President Obama might have said that Parliament had voted in favour of the motion, not succeeded in passing it.

Tom.
mastermindreader
View Profile
1949 - 2017
Seattle, WA
12586 Posts

It's fun to nitpick about silly things sometimes. True, it wasn't Parliament who failed, it was the motion that failed.

I think Obama, had the motion passed, would probably have said that military action had received the support of the British people. (Sounds a lot broader than just saying "Parliament.")
tomsk192
View Profile
Inner circle
3894 Posts

Profile of tomsk192
Yes, that has the sound of Obama. I listened to the live broadcast and pulled my wife in to hear it. Even though we both have nuanced views on this issue, she couldn't help, as always, being carried away by his delivery.

(Apologies for getting sidetracked. This thread is really about US politics, not our parochial nonsense.)
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Syria: how will the vote go? » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..7..10..13..16..19..23~24~25 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL