The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The MRD deck by Liam Montier. (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

 Go to page 1~2~3..11~12~13 [Next]
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9179 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Just seen the demo vid and I have to say I'm very impressed so far. The demo link is below. The release date seems to be the 9th of this month from Alakazam.


Perform the Multiple Revelation Routine with NO SLEIGHT OF HAND

Have from 3 to 15 members of your audience select cards, mix them up and return them to the deck – WITHOUT BEING CONTROLLED BY YOU! And yet impossibly you are ready to reveal all the selections IN ORDER, WITH NO SLEIGHT OF HAND,!!!

You read that right - no sleight of hand.

Perform at a dinner party… at a show… in the pub… at school… during a trade show – ANYWHERE you have a group of people who want to be blown away by a fantastic piece of magic!

There is a reason so many world class magicians perform the Multiple Selection routine - it involves your entire audience… It ramps up the eye boggling impossibility… and it plays as a show stopping EVENT. But it’s not an easy piece of magic. It requires a great deal of skill, some faultless sleight of hand and plenty of confidence to perform.

Well, it DID. Now magical brainbox Liam Montier has taken the properties of a certain gaffed deck and with some genius routining he has created a sleight-free, mindblowing performance piece that will fry your audience and leave you looking like a master magician.

What makes the MRD Deck and routine so special is that you do not have to control the cards as they are returned to the deck!!! Your spectators can all freely pick cards, shuffle them up between themselves and then return them to the pack. And you do not need to control a thing because Liam’s diabolical thinking will have left you ready to reveal ALL of the selections IN ORDER, with no sleight of hand. No tricky side steals, no top palms and no (god forbid) passes to get those selections where you need them.

Whilst this is a cast iron reputation making miracle for beginners or those uncomfortable with sleight of hand, it also has some mega advantages for the ultra capable knucklebusting card sharps out there too! It has the cleanest, most impossible selection phase imaginable.

Liam Montier teaches a full routine for 6 cards being selected, but also shows you how to ‘jazz’ for further spectators. You can use ANY reveals you already have in your arsenal, or learn some of the bonus ones Liam teaches on the DVD.

The hand crafted MRD Deck is provided inside the DVD case, and is manufactured from a standard USPCC Bicycle Deck. (In Red or Blue).


http://youtu.be/kRr6N2JLZqY
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12336 Posts

Profile of John C
Now this looks real nice. Would like to have this.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Pegasus, thanks for posting about this. It almost seems to good to be true. Doc Eason, Bill Malone, all the top guys do a multiple selection routine. I never could get the hang of it.

The trailer for MRD blew me away!
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10630 Posts

Profile of saysold1
Any memory work involved ?
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of premium, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
ozman
View Profile
Loyal user
Tenbury Wells, UK
257 Posts

Profile of ozman
Nope. NONE! You can let the spectators mix the selections up and then return them to the deck themselves. Then with no moves at all you are ready to reveal all the selections in order.

The only memory work is remembering to put the MRD Deck in your pocket.

:)
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12336 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 13:07, ozman wrote:
Nope. NONE! You can let the spectators mix the selections up and then return them to the deck themselves. Then with no moves at all you are ready to reveal all the selections in order.

The only memory work is remembering to put the MRD Deck in your pocket.

:)


Ohhhhh!! Remind us when it's ready to pay.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 13:07, ozman wrote:


The only memory work is remembering to put the MRD Deck in your pocket.




I'v been doing pub work and, well, I need things simple:-)
pegasus
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
9179 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Thanks for the clarification ozman and welcome back Zombie. Smile
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
What ? I might be missing something here... Too much fumbling, too long, hands behind the back... This kills the magic !

Carrying one gimmicked deck for a routine possible with a normal deck ? Are you serious ? How much this will cost ? :/

All what I say here is perfectly summarized in one sentence of the magician HIMSELF in the trailer, at 3:38: "you don't even seem surprised..."

Liam Montier, your "Henry Sugar", or "Timeless", were so much better (btw I love them)!
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Thanks, pegasus!

Well, I've watched the bloody trailer 6 times and and I am gobsmacked!

My mind is spining with ideas. If you combined sleight of hand with the MRD, you could take it even further.

Example: slip a regualr Bicycle card and force that so it could be signed by the client, CEO, or birthday girl. Have that revealed last in a spectacular way ( David Regal's Clarity Box or Mystery Box or Haunted Pack ).

In the traler, the first girl to pick a card kept her hands over it and Liam said that would be last. So....you do everyone else, reveal the cards and for her do the old "oh, you didn't put it back in the deck? Well, it's going to be real easy to find...THERE IT IS". I know, I know, but evryone laughs when this is done. Even Bill Malone does old gags.

Then you have them sign it and maybe do the haunted pack with it or the Clarity/Mystery Box.

Zombie
paperinick
View Profile
Inner circle
my faro is starting to look nice after
1165 Posts

Profile of paperinick
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 12:33, Zombie Magic wrote:
Pegasus, thanks for posting about this. It almost seems to good to be true. Doc Eason, Bill Malone, all the top guys do a multiple selection routine. I never could get the hang of it.

The trailer for MRD blew me away!


You should try Colombini's Fireworks routine. The control is pretty simple, the revelations (which are the most interesting part of the trick) are really baffling; not to diminish the value of this deck though
I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death my right to say "scr*w you" if you persist. [Voltaire Smile]
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12336 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 13:52, doriancaudal wrote:
What ? I might be missing something here... Too much fumbling, too long, hands behind the back... This kills the magic !

Carrying one gimmicked deck for a routine possible with a normal deck ? Are you serious ? How much this will cost ? :/

All what I say here is perfectly summarized in one sentence of the magician HIMSELF in the trailer, at 3:38: "you don't even seem surprised..."

Liam Montier, your "Henry Sugar", or "Timeless", were so much better (btw I love them)!


Man dorian....there you go ruining all the excitement.
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 14:37, paperinick wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 12:33, Zombie Magic wrote:
Pegasus, thanks for posting about this. It almost seems to good to be true. Doc Eason, Bill Malone, all the top guys do a multiple selection routine. I never could get the hang of it.

The trailer for MRD blew me away!


You should try Colombini's Fireworks routine. The control is pretty simple, the revelations (which are the most interesting part of the trick) are really baffling; not to diminish the value of this deck though


paperinick, I worked Aldo's routine for a while. Great stuff. He did a signed card that went to the wallet. Michael Skinner just cut to the chase and showed Ace through 10, same suit and found them in order.

I'm all for sleight of hand, but letting them shuffle the selections and putting them back as is done with Liam's MRD takes it to a higher level ( IMHO ).
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
509 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
I saw Liam Perform this live and truthfully was fooled but to address Dorian's comment about going behind your back that is NOT required. I believe Liam did it this to show it could be done self working. If your capable of some basic sleights you can do this in front of your spectators with no problem since the selections are fully under your control. You do need the deck to perform but for someone closing his show/set this is an easy matter to switch in. Definitely recommend to those looking for a super easy,
fair looking multiple selections.

Ryan
Liam Montier
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Liam Montier
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 13:52, doriancaudal wrote:
What ? I might be missing something here... Too much fumbling, too long, hands behind the back... This kills the magic !

Carrying one gimmicked deck for a routine possible with a normal deck ? Are you serious ? How much this will cost ? :/

All what I say here is perfectly summarized in one sentence of the magician HIMSELF in the trailer, at 3:38: "you don't even seem surprised..."

Liam Montier, your "Henry Sugar", or "Timeless", were so much better (btw I love them)!


Hi Dorian,

Respectfully, I think that maybe you are missing something, or at least looking at it as a magician who is focussed on method and practicality. So, just to clear up a few points, the first revelation is of course, totally up to you. I deliberately play it that way, as I want the reactions to build up, so I actually need the first revelation to be the weakest. It's not a new idea, it's a standard approach for routining something that could otherwise be anti-climatic. You can use any revelations you want, of course.

I'd also point out that you say this routine is 'possible with a normal deck'. I have to say, that NO amount of sleight of hand, AT ALL, would allow you to duplicate THIS routine, or even come close. When you try it out, the spectators remember mixing their cards together, and returning them to the pack fairly, and it makes a lasting impression on them. The revelations genuinely blow them away. Nobody was more surprised than me at how effective the MRD deck turned out to be, but when you look at it in action (and bear in mind you are literally seeing the most basic routine possible) from a layman's perspective, it genuinely seems impossible.

And of course, that quote is out of context. I also say 'Awesome' quite a lot, so the trick must be awesome. Smile

Many thanks to the other guys who posted good vibes - I'm well aware there are other fabulous Multiple Selection routines, and while this one is less practical as you need a separate deck, I think it's both the cleanest version ever, and the easiest by a long, long way.

If anyone has any questions about the routine, don't hesitate to drop me a PM on the Café, or email me for an immediate response.

Cheers,

Liam.
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
I love Multiple Rev routines and this one hit something fantastic... Fairness.

Liam is right in the sense that no Multiple Card Find can compare with the amount of fairness this routine has. I've done a lot of research with them, trying to find ones I like and this one is hard not to love. While I wouldn't use this at a restaurant (unless it was for a REALLY big group I wanted to impress) I would 100% use this in a show.

Awesome job man... great release!
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1533 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 14:50, Liam Montier wrote:

I'd also point out that you say this routine is 'possible with a normal deck'. I have to say, that NO amount of sleight of hand, AT ALL, would allow you to duplicate THIS routine, or even come close. When you try it out, the spectators remember mixing their cards together, and returning them to the pack fairly, and it makes a lasting impression on them.


Not true... Sorry to insist, but there are methods allowing to do that with a completely normal deck. And the effect is repeatable immediately after (which is not the case with your method, where you need a bit of a reset work). But apart from that, you are right, the most important is the spectator's impression, and I agree that here we tend to think as magicians.
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 15:16, doriancaudal wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 14:50, Liam Montier wrote:

I'd also point out that you say this routine is 'possible with a normal deck'. I have to say, that NO amount of sleight of hand, AT ALL, would allow you to duplicate THIS routine, or even come close. When you try it out, the spectators remember mixing their cards together, and returning them to the pack fairly, and it makes a lasting impression on them.


Not true... Sorry to insist, but there are methods allowing to do that with a completely normal deck. And the effect is repeatable immediately after (which is not the case with your method, where you need a bit of a reset work). But apart from that, you are right, the most important is the spectator's impression, and I agree that here we tend to think as magicians.


I really don't mean to be rude but did you watch the demo? Where is there a slight of hand version that is instantly repeatable that allows you to do this:

-Six people select a card
-Spectator shuffles ALL the selections in a packet
-Spectator places the cards into a ribbon spread on the table without you looking
-Find the cards in an ORDER

I think you are missing a MAJOR part of this routine.
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
ozman
View Profile
Loyal user
Tenbury Wells, UK
257 Posts

Profile of ozman
Errr... dorian - out of idle curiosity perhaps you'd like to PM me how to recreate liam's routine with pure sleight of hand. I'd LOVE to know. Smile as far as I am aware though, there is just no way. in normal versions of this routine when spectators remove cards from the deck and then return them, you need to both hold the deck and utilise a sleight to reposition each card. in liam's version the deck can be left tabled after the selections are made... the spectators can then mix all of their cards together and then THEY can shove them back into the deck. all the while you can have your back turned (or even leave the room if you're that way inclined). all yet you are still in a positon to reveal the cards (in order!). how can you do that with sleight of hand?!?

I appreciate that you can achieve a SIMILAR effect using sleights... but I don't believe there is anything as clean and utterly hands off as this.

just my vibes, you understand! Smile
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12336 Posts

Profile of John C
Anyway, I'm not a sleight of hand artist, I'm not even an artist, but I've always respected those guys/gals performing the multiple selection thing. Especially Doc E.

So if this can get me there so be it. I say bring on the deck!

J
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The MRD deck by Liam Montier. (2 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3..11~12~13 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL