The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The MRD deck by Liam Montier. (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..11~12~13 [Next]
saysold1
View Profile
Eternal Order
Recovering Cafe addict with only
10798 Posts

Profile of saysold1
I'm guessing s••n and st*****r might be involved. But baffled at the overall effect. Great job.
Creator of The SvenPad Supreme(R) line of aerospace level quality, made in the USA utility props. https://svenpads.com/
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 15:16, doriancaudal wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 14:50, Liam Montier wrote:

I'd also point out that you say this routine is 'possible with a normal deck'. I have to say, that NO amount of sleight of hand, AT ALL, would allow you to duplicate THIS routine, or even come close. When you try it out, the spectators remember mixing their cards together, and returning them to the pack fairly, and it makes a lasting impression on them.

Not true... Sorry to insist, but there are methods allowing to do that with a completely normal deck.

No there aren't.
Liam Montier
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Liam Montier
Hi there Saysold Smile I'm not going to encourage the guessing and stuff, but I'm happy to answer any questions that people might have. I will just take a moment to say that I'm not sure what the s**n is, but there's no st*****r things going on - for a multiple selection routine, it'd be too much to ensure that everything worked out, what with the freedom the spectators have (if that makes sense).

Anyway, as I say, if you guys have specific questions that the ad copy doesn't cover, just give me a shout via PM, as I'd prefer to answer method based questions privately, rather than openly on a public forum.

Cheers!

Liam.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 15:16, doriancaudal wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 14:50, Liam Montier wrote:

I'd also point out that you say this routine is 'possible with a normal deck'. I have to say, that NO amount of sleight of hand, AT ALL, would allow you to duplicate THIS routine, or even come close. When you try it out, the spectators remember mixing their cards together, and returning them to the pack fairly, and it makes a lasting impression on them.

Not true... Sorry to insist, but there are methods allowing to do that with a completely normal deck.

No there aren't.
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I don't know of any methoods that allows them to shuffle the selctions and lose them back into the pack at different locations and you can then find them in sequence.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 16:17, Magicsquared wrote:

No there aren't.

Ok, ok, stay with what you think, it gives more possibilities to expand and enrich for the others Smile
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 16:26, doriancaudal wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 16:17, Magicsquared wrote:

No there aren't.

Ok, ok, stay with what you think, it gives more possibilities to expand and enrich for the others Smile

I'm not "staying with what I think." I'm just calling you out for not knowing your stuff. There is no method that uses an ordinary deck that allows for that.
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
As someone who has been performing the multiple selection for many years, I think this looks great. There are great moments in this routine, and I had fun watching it. Especially counting how many times Liam says "Excellent". Smile just teasing Liam.

I like this. And I think it certainly justifies the carrying of a special deck to do it. Ring this in at the end of your set, and it's a great way to close. Like I said, I do the MSR, and I want this just to give myself a break sometimes. Hah

This looks great Liam and BBM.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Dorian, you cannot have the spectators push the cards in wherever they wish, then square up the deck, then reveal the selections without either specially prepared cards or a special deck. I demmed this like crazy at MAGIC Live. Blew a lot of people away. And, yes, I even went behind my back. The reason people were fooled is that the return of the cards is so ridiculously fair and above suspicion. I don't know what to say except... you can't do it with a normal deck and have it look THAT CLEAN.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Rabid
View Profile
Elite user
495 Posts

Profile of Rabid
Okay...that was incredible. And I'm still reeling from how amazing Miracles Without Moves was...
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 21:03, Cameron Francis wrote:
Dorian, you cannot have the spectators push the cards in wherever they wish, then square up the deck, then reveal the selections without either specially prepared cards or a special deck.

Not true... I agree that this fact is good to increase the sales, but it is simply not true. One can find a method to accomplish the same effect without the MRD deck...

But if people prefer carrying an extra deck in their pockets, they are free to do it !

Tbh, what I don't like is the fact this effect is marketed by things like "learn quickly, easily, rapidly...".
Hands-off ACAAN - freely chosen card and number : http://doriancaudal.wix.com/miracaan
Xcath1
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of Xcath1
I think this looks pretty cool. Of course I don't have it nor am I certain how it works or how practical it is. Carry an extra deck for your "show piece" or close doesn't sound crazy. The only thing I wonder aloud. Many discussions about the MSR including a recent DVD just on the topic suggest that having the cards removed slows down the effect which I generally believe to be the case. You have to balance the additional convincer provided by this deck against any downtime in your presentation. Liam is a pretty chatty guy so I know it works for him.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-09-03 07:53, doriancaudal wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 21:03, Cameron Francis wrote:
Dorian, you cannot have the spectators push the cards in wherever they wish, then square up the deck, then reveal the selections without either specially prepared cards or a special deck.

Not true... I agree that this fact is good to increase the sales, but it is simply not true. One can find a method to accomplish the same effect without the MRD deck...

But if people prefer carrying an extra deck in their pockets, they are free to do it !

Tbh, what I don't like is the fact this effect is marketed by things like "learn quickly, easily, rapidly...".

See your point. But- "learn quickly, easily, rapidly...", there are effects that this holds true with. There are people that have been performing a long time and know a lot about magic which allows them to take some select effects and be able to perform them flawless with great reactions.

On the other hand, not directing this statement to you Dorian, but I always wonder why for some it bothers that people can do this. If you are one that can do this- Kudos to you. There should be no animosity towards others who can learn an effect quickly and perform it with great success. To each to his or her own. Of coarse- if you are not one those people- yes, you should take the time to learn and practice the effect before performing it. Just my opinion. I see people here post about how that bothers them so badly when someone says they can learn an effect and perform it with great success in a half an hour. It really shouldn't bother you- if they are able to do this- that's great!

On the other hand, after purchasing some of Liam's work- I can see how "learn quickly, easily, rapidly..." holds true. Liam seems to create great magic with minimal work to achieve the final result. A very clever mind........

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
Liam Montier
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Liam Montier
Dorian, I think you must be misunderstanding.

Nobody is saying that it's impossible to do a multiple selection routine with a regular deck and sleights. People might prefer that approach, and that's 100% fine.

What we are saying is that it's impossible to EXACTLY duplicate my routine with a regular deck and sleights. Mine is cleaner than any other routine I've seen, and also easier than any other I've seen. And the demo shows the most basic routine possible - there are other HUGE advantages to using the gaff deck that appear on the DVD (check out the Jazzing section).

It's all fine to say 'Not true..' but if you stick with that, then prove it. Show me an EXACT duplication of my routine with a regular deck and sleights. From the moment all the spectators have their selections in their hands, I don't touch the deck again. They collect them up. They shuffle them in any fashion they choose. They replace them into different parts of the deck, that I'm not holding, while I'm not looking. THEN they square the pack. Then, I find those cards, in numerical order, all without using sleight of hand.

I don't think it takes much to see how strong this will play. Yes, it's slightly less practical, as you have to carry a second pack of cards. But for me, it's worth it. For you, perhaps not, and that's fine. However, it doesn't give weight to your arguments, or mean that the ad copy you dislike for some reason is false. It's 100% true, and I stand by it.

Finally, where did you take the quote 'learn quickly, easily, rapidly...' from? This trick is so easy that anyone can do it, but that doesn't mean I'd advocate not giving it as much practice as you'd give any other routine.

In conclusion - sorry you don't like it, but please, be accurate in your criticism. That's all I ask.

Thanks,

Liam.
Relick666
View Profile
Special user
604 Posts

Profile of Relick666
I think this thing looks freaking awesome!!

Can't wait to order it.. in fact, I just did lol.

- Andreu.
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Quote:
On 2013-09-03 08:56, RNK wrote:

I see people here post about how that bothers them so badly when someone says they can learn an effect and perform it with great success in a half an hour. It really shouldn't bother you- if they are able to do this- that's great!

It’s not what I say... I don’t say that it bothers me when someone can learn an effect in 30 min. What I say is that I find it a pity to sell an effect based on the argumentation that you can learn an effect in 30 min… It souldn’t be like that. Magic requires practice, practice, and practice, and if an effect is “doable” in 30 min (WPR syndrome… “opened half an hour ago, and I can do it already…”), then, most of the times, it’s not a good effect. Magic deserves more than that.

And Liam, I don’t have anything against you, mate. Moreover, I am not criticizing your release per se. I am only saying that despite what people say, this can be done exactly the same way with a regular deck. But good luck with your release, if people like it, then it is the most important for you and the magic community.
Liam Montier
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of Liam Montier
Hi Dorian,

I have no problem with criticism at all, as long as it's constructive, or at least accurate.

You say again here 'this can be done exactly the same way with a regular deck'

So here is the deal.

You show me a routine with a regular deck, and a sleight of hand method, that EXACTLY matches mine. If you can make your routine look as fair as mine does, with a regular deck and moves, I will give you one of everything I have in stock. That's hundreds of dollars worth of goods.

What I'm becoming aware of is that other people maybe looking to buy the routine will read your comments. That might sway their opinion. That's fine - it's what forums are for. But one particular point you are making is false, and I'm willing to call you out on it, and put my money where my mouth is.

So, if you think 'this can be done exactly the same way with a regular deck', then what have you got to lose?

Liam.
pegasus
View Profile
Eternal Order
United Kingdom
10537 Posts

Profile of pegasus
Dorian, you may well have the time to practise, practise, practise but I, and many others, do not nor do they want to, and I am one of those. I love sleight free ready to go in 30 mins type of effects. Looking forward to getting this.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-09-03 10:45, doriancaudal wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-03 08:56, RNK wrote:

I see people here post about how that bothers them so badly when someone says they can learn an effect and perform it with great success in a half an hour. It really shouldn't bother you- if they are able to do this- that's great!

It’s not what I say... I don’t say that it bothers me when someone can learn an effect in 30 min. What I say is that I find it a pity to sell an effect based on the argumentation that you can learn an effect in 30 min… It souldn’t be like that. Magic requires practice, practice, and practice, and if an effect is “doable” in 30 min (WPR syndrome… “opened half an hour ago, and I can do it already…”), then, most of the times, it’s not a good effect. Magic deserves more than that.

And Liam, I don’t have anything against you, mate. Moreover, I am not criticizing your release per se. I am only saying that despite what people say, this can be done exactly the same way with a regular deck. But good luck with your release, if people like it, then it is the most important for you and the magic community.

Dorian- please read my post carefully- I specifically stated, "On the other hand, not directing this statement to you Dorian" when I was talking about the quote you posted above.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
doriancaudal
View Profile
Inner circle
1532 Posts

Profile of doriancaudal
Sorry RNK, I did not read carefully enough Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The MRD deck by Liam Montier. (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4..11~12~13 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL