The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Marcus Eddie's Open DVD (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
S-Branham
View Profile
Elite user
Folsom, CA
456 Posts

Profile of S-Branham
Penguin Magic has Boris Wild's Perfect Open Prediction for $24.95 and they offer free shipping.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3568

Can we get more info on the three free never released bonus effects?

~Steve
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Warning: We will run out of new tricks in
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Steve,

This item is already sold. Hopefully the buyer will enjoy the bonus items.

I see that you have penguin magic as your website. I love Penguin! Are you affiliated with them? If so, perhaps we can talk about the bonus effects. I think they are more than strong enough to stand on their own. People just LOVE them!

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
Steve,
If you would like to talk further, please pm me. Thanks.
KJ
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
1kj, just to be clear these are not 3 effects from Boris are they?
P3
practice practice perform.
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
No, these are some routines I developed for my own work. They are self contained. They incorporate several methods, all explained. It seems there are a lot of new tricks out there, but few ideas for routines. These routines were designed to engage a crowd or a group of friends. I like seeing other people's routines because they give me inspiration for how to better entertain. It's like an actor watching movies to see how others play parts or handle scenes. Some of my favorite DVDs include John Archer, Mel Mellers, David Regal, Greg Wilson, and others who share clever routines or entertaining ways of working with people. David Regal, for example, has a cups and balls (or perhaps chop cup) routine that involves mice and a story. Very clever, very entertaining. Greg Wilson just has a way of engaging people. I don't think John Archer has much by the way of "new" tricks, but he has a way of creating compelling ways of selling his magic to an audience.

If you take a look at my post in latest and greatest called "Dry Hole", you will see a little gag/routine I have used a few times. The description doesn't really convey how strong the routine went. The "trick" in the routine costs less than five bucks. It's not really about the "trick", it's about entertaining the crowd. The premise of mixing up a routine with something intense followed by something so different, like telling the audience you have to go on break and apparently start eating your lunch, right in front of the crowd, and then they see there is a bit of magic going on... it's priceless!

In one of the bonus routines I gave away, it involves two participants who pick cards for the other person. The cards are found after the participants shuffle them into to stacks of cards. They are found in a very humorous and fun to watch way, with cards flying into the air. The performer then does a mini reading of how they think the one participant views the other participant based on the cards they selected for the other person. The cards are then revealed and given to the participants they were intended for. This routine is so powerful! Every time it is presented it is different because it is about feeding off the dynamics between the crowd and the two people.

I have another routine where I give the audience a choice between chopping off the arm of one of the participants (by this time, known to them) or seeing me get blown up. I get one half of the audience to chant "chop, chop, chop", while the other chants "blow, blow, blow". Just this part alone, before the "magic" starts is hilarious. I try to see how far I can go with the audience.. get them to chant back and forth to a known childhood tune, get them to do the wave as they are chanting, or have some humorous exchange with someone in the audience who is not chanting ("What, seeing Johnny lose his arm or me getting blown up isn't enough entertainment for you? You want more?"), etc.. These are the sort of routines that make a magic show fun.

Sometimes I think we have all the "tricks" we need. What we really need are more "scripts" and ideas for how to present magic.

KJ
1KJ
View Profile
Inner circle
4388 Posts

Profile of 1KJ
By the way, in the "chanting" routine, we really do one or both of the routines, "chop" or "blow". For some audiences, they can even be done together. It's sort of like going out on a date with two girls in the same evening and they don't know about each other. One effect is done for one half of the audience while "cheating" on the other half, and then we go back and forth while the participant waits to have their arm restored or while the bombs are about to blow. I usually do them both for the more intellectual audiences. When back in my home town with simple folk, we do them one at a time and then just sit around and play banjo while we watch the grass grow.

KJ
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
697 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
If you read the reviews at Penguin Magic, a lot of people are annoyed (myself included) that Open doesn't come with most of the supplies required. You will have to go out and find the right sized rubber band for this effect. You also need to use up 2 new card boxes as well. They do supply one Bicycle box, but the one supplied does not match the ones up here in Canada.
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7528 Posts

Profile of RNK
I feel if you perform regularly then extra boxes should not be a problem. I have so many boxes and cards laying around that I could make up a lot of these. Also, if you add the price of buying the decks you need to make this up- you need to buy (2)two extra decks. The price for the decks and the Open DVD would be around $30.00 to $35.00. This price would be what you have paid if the box came with it already made. So my point in relation to what card prediction effects are sold for this is still not a bad deal.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
ted french
View Profile
Inner circle
Columbus Ohio
1946 Posts

Profile of ted french
RNK... Nailed It!
P3
practice practice perform.
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
This is my take on the Marlo's Open Prediction plot. It's totally impromptu, instant reset, can be done FASDIU and every time is different. Sorry I have not used a spectator, but I do not know many people who speak English!!! In fact, my English is terrible, I'm sorry about that too!!!

Give me your thoughts!!! Any advise is welcome. See you!!!
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4541 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
It's great, there are a lot of open prediction using pretty much this same method.

Daniel Garcia has one on his new project dvds that essentially uses this variation.
Yannick Chretian (sp?) has one close to thise version as well.

Good though.
inaciolino
View Profile
Veteran user
369 Posts

Profile of inaciolino
Thanks so much Blindside785!!! Any advices on it???
magic in mind
View Profile
Special user
851 Posts

Profile of magic in mind
Okay maybe not all supplies are included.However I guess if your buying card effects,they kind of suppose you have decks of cards.The supplied item is enough to make the gimmick itself but you will need two other decks,one blue one red.Some super glue and a rubber band that will go round a deck of cards comfortably.There is also one minor sleight used.I can say some magicians may think they know how this goes,myself included.However I had issues with my idea.So I bought open and its much more devious than I thought.I put it up there with an I Deck,and alakazam E2 re card gimmick must haves.With a little thought you can use this for other effects.My issues with the Dvd is its, too short at 15 mins and unlike loaded.Where it showed precicely how to make the gimmick real time.This instance we are back to the heres on I made earlier.You do this and that etc.Shame but most will work it out.For street and walk around.This version of the open prediction is easy to do and unlike other versions, makes perfect sense.I think Marcus is a genius.Love loaded and very very happy with open.Will make up gimmick tonight.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Marcus Eddie's Open DVD (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL