The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Antique (looking) cups? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
West of Boston, East of Eden
889 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
I recently lost an ebay auction for some really cool looking/ antique looking cups. Does anyone know where ancient looking, more mysterious looking cups can be found?
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
737 Posts

Profile of scott0819
Maybe start your search here? Once you know exactly what you are looking for, it might be easier to find.

http://www.cupsandballsmuseum.com/
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
889 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Thanks, Loyal User, but I can't figure out how to get into the museum. None of the links on that page work for me. If you know the secret, please share it.
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
737 Posts

Profile of scott0819
You need to request a password to get in. There is a link to do that on the website (halfway down the page).
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
889 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Thanks again. I've tried but clicking that link gets no response. I'd really like to see what's going on in there, but there's a glitch somewhere, I guess.
CdnAndrew
View Profile
Regular user
Toronto, Canada
149 Posts

Profile of CdnAndrew
BeThePunk, it sends an email, so opens your desktop email program. If you don't have one like Mail, Thunderbird, or Outlook, you can send your request here: curator@cupsandballsmuseum.com
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
889 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
CdnAndrew, thanks so much.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1119 Posts

Profile of Donnie Buckley
You can antique a set of copper cups by baking them in your kitchen oven.
Use solid copper cups (not plated), with any clear coat stripped off and no magnets (the heat will kill magnets).
Turn the oven up to as high as the temp goes (usually 500 degrees). Bake for 20 to 30 minutes. Watch them and remove them when the desired color is reached. You will be surprised at the shades of red colors they will transform thru.

Once cooled, you can highlight the cups with some metal polish. Using the cotton wadding like Nev-r-dull gives you fine control over how much of the patina you will remove. Just hit the beads and the high spots for a dramatic antique effect. After you have a finish that appeals to your eye, wax them, or if you can spray a clear coat (like a lacquer for metal) over the cups to seal in the finish.

If you screw it up, or don't like it, just polish the cups back to raw copper and try again.

Alternately, there are other chemical solutions you can use for other antiquing effects.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
889 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Fantastic! I expect my first copper cups to arrive soon. I've bought the Penguins. Can I expect them to be solid copper or plated?
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
737 Posts

Profile of scott0819
The Penguin magic website says they are solid copper and buffed. Not sure if they have a clear coat put on them though. Better confirm with Penguin before putting your new cups in the oven!
scott0819
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Ont.
737 Posts

Profile of scott0819
You might find this video interesting too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz1mvQEXv_k
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
The best antique looking cups currently available are made by the Village tinner on Etsy.com http://www.etsy.com/transaction/144061058?

He custom makes each set and can build them out of a variety of materials. The look vintage because not only are they the right shape for a set of antique cups. But they are also made with the proper techniques. Being soldered together out of flat metal instead of being spun like modern cups.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Win (the Village Tinner) has made an improvement in this design, which you can see in the photo. Instead of having an inset bottom on the cups, he has soldered a cap over the cups. It eliminates that hazardous sharp upper edge the antique cups have.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24222 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
BTW, don't attempt to heat patinize the cups from the Village Tinner. The heat from the oven might affect the solder. Usually solder melts at a temperature higher than the one Donnie refers to; however, I wouldn't take chances.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
889 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Thanks, Donnie, for the advice. I followed your instructions and got some really crazy results -- reds and some blues. NevR Dull is a great product too. It'll be fun to see what time and more experimentation does. Anyhow, the cups are starting to look like things with character now and not cookware from Williams Sonoma. BTW, anyone thinking about antiquing Penguin cups, they are solid (not plated) and they are not lacquered. I dumped them in a bath of lacquer thinner, but I didn't need to. Nothing changed.
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1119 Posts

Lacquer thinner will help you remove any oil, grease and dirt from the surface of the metal - even if you can't see it. Using any degreaser or reducer prior to baking will give you a more even patina.
The resulting colors of the patina depend upon what's on the surface of the copper (as well as the quality of the copper itself).
I only recommend using the Nev-R-Dull cotton wadding polish to give it some highlights - around the beads and saddle. You get better control with small bits of cotton wadding than you will with a liquid or paste polish. You don't want to over-highlight the cups.
I would like to see you post a picture here of your results.
Learn the form, but seek the formless. Learn it all, then forget it all. Learn the way, then find your own way. Rings-N-Things
Donnie Buckley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Cleveland, Ohio
1119 Posts

Here's another thread on this topic with other great contributions in it:
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
889 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
That's interesting info about lacquer thinner, oils, and why certain colors appear. I've handled the cups quite a bit since my first experiment, so I'll bake them again now and see what happens. My wife is away for a long weekend, so the kitchen has turned into Frankenstein's laboratory.
BeThePlunk
View Profile
Special user
889 Posts

Profile of BeThePlunk
Here are the cups fresh out of the oven without any effort to highlight them. It's hard to photograph bright metal and to capture the shifting mix of colors. This shot is in sunlight. (You can see the trees reflected in the saddles.) It's the closest I could come to what I see with the naked eye. Hot reds. Blues that are almost purple. I'm going to stay with this for a while. I'll add only a few highlights and them wax 'em up. By the way, I found the small toaster oven much easier and faster to work with than the regular stove oven.

Hmmm, I attached a photo but it didn't show up.
Nate The Magician
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Nate The Magician
Quote:
On 2013-09-05 23:27, BeThePlunk wrote:
BTW, anyone thinking about antiquing Penguin cups, they are solid (not plated) and they are not lacquered. I dumped them in a bath of lacquer thinner, but I didn't need to. Nothing changed.

BeThePlunk, thank you. I have been searching around for days to see if Penguins have a lacquer finish.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Antique (looking) cups? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL