The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Miracles Without Moves by Ryan Schlutz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Okay folks, this isn't a long "Vlad" review as I just finished watching this and trying out two items.

Short version: GET IT NOW. It's available as a DVD or download at Big Blind Media

A bit longer version: Ryan Schlutz has unleashed some very high octane card magic in Miracles Without Moves. Ryan's thinking pays homage to quite venerable principles in card magic - one of those principles dates to the 16th century - as well as providing fresh ideas that, to borrow a phrase from John Guastaferro, raises every effect that important "one degree." There is a nice mix of impromptu as well as not so impromptu stuff. But, the good news is, of the not so impromptu work, only two effects require a bit of one time work. Trust me though, these effects are worth it.

Knocked Subconscious will slay you, any magician who doesn't own Ryan's DVD, and your audiences are a given. I watched this effect, paused it, and tried like a madman to suss the method. When I watched the explanation I realized I wasn't even CLOSE to the method. This routine leads off the DVD and to me it's a grand slam.

Four Shadowed is a very diabolical production effect. I don't want to detail the effect, but, this is a beautiful production that, in the best John Bannon tradition, gets all of the work done, leads the spectators down the garden path and knocks them cold. What's more important about this effect is its psychological underpinnings. In fact, Ryan's work throughout the video is full of ideas that you will use in other routines, so, this is a case of not just purchasing the video for the effects.

Fans of Simon Aronson and John Bannon - who isn't a fan of these two giants from Chicago? - will love the effect that combines Shuffle Bored with Degrees of Freedom in a tour de force that streamlines and combines the best of both routines into something that Messrs. Aronson and Bannon would be proud of.

Methodical is a three phase routine wherein you reveal a chosen card from a packet. Each phase is more impossible than the last; this effect has great potential as a centerpiece effect and best of all, it is totally impromptu.

It Cuts Deep will fool you when you watch it because you think you will see a familiar move, but, it isn't what you think. Another impromptu beauty. Ryan plays this one down a bit, but, I beg to differ; the method is genius and again, performed well, will be one of those effects that audiences will remember long after they have forgotten some of your best knucklebusting routines.

There are seven effects on the video in total and all are wonderful. The final effect is a sort of variant of Knocked Subconscious that IS good, but in my estimation, it's one you might want to save for your magician buddies. Not that it won't work for non-magicians, but, Knocked Subconscious is the stronger routine IMHO.

Crediting is thorough and as usual, Big Blind Media's production values are spot on. This is a video for learning and while there are a few quirky bits of fun - a good thing - there's no fancy camera dodgery going on; Ryan gets straight to business.

Simply put, if you love John Bannon's magic, if you love Simon Aronson's work, if you're a fan of diabolical methods, this video is your huckleberry.

HIGHLY recommended!!

Best,
Vlad
Steven Leung
View Profile
Inner circle
found the Magic Rainbow after
1604 Posts

Profile of Steven Leung
Thanks for the great review Vlad as always.
Most memorable moment - with Maestro Juan Tamariz & Consuelo Lorgia in FISM Busan 2018.

"Being fooled by a trick doesn't always mean they are having a good time" - Homer Liwag

https://hhpresents.com/
https://www.glitchstudiohk.com/
smullins
View Profile
Special user
United States
674 Posts

Profile of smullins
Awesome review Vlad, Thanks!
Shawn Mullins

www.MullinsMagic.com
plink
View Profile
Special user
661 Posts

Profile of plink
How many of the effects are easily repeatable restaurant work? Do they rely on stacks?
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
VLAD! My man! Your review hit the big time...in a mass e-mailing from Big Blind Media! Congrats!

Dangit...now I gotta save up to get this.......
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-09-03 12:33, Mike Maturen wrote:
VLAD! My man! Your review hit the big time...in a mass e-mailing from Big Blind Media! Congrats!

Hey Mike!

Haven't seen you around the forums brother! How are things? Hope you're well man! Oh, I should warn you that there may be a chance I am moving back to NW Ohio, so, we have to get together and magish!

I am really gratified that Big Blind Media posted that quick review; I had no idea. But really, it was such a joy to just let everyone know what a great DVD this is. I'm tellin' ya man, Ryan's magic is off the charts and this product just blew me away. I guarantee you won't regret getting it. If you're NOT fooled by at least five of the routines, I'll refund your money; it's THAT good. We Orthodox are not allowed to vow in God's name, but I am telling the truth that I really did try to suss the method for Knocked Subconscious. The other effects are dynamite too, but, this routine is an immediate "goes in the repertoire" piece.

Keep in touch please? Even though I'm Orthodox, I am still half Sicilian, half Irish and I'll find you Smile

Best,
Vlad
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
Quote:
On 2013-09-02 22:47, plink wrote:
How many of the effects are easily repeatable restaurant work? Do they rely on stacks?

Hi Plink,

I would say that the majority of the magic on this DVD is good for restaurant work. A few do require set ups but nothing that cannot be done on the fly. There's one routine that should be saved for special tables IMHO but, you can still use the cards. I know that makes no sense but that's all I can say without risking exposure.

I should add that you really wouldn't want to perform most of what's on this DVD in a bar situation. Best to stick with Doc Eason, Tom Mullica, etc. These effects really blur the line between magic and mentalism and as such would work beautifully in a good restaurant as opposed to say a sports bar. There are a few FASDIU effects as well, and best of all? They don't require a full deck.

As I had written in my quick review, if you like Bannon, Aronson, and Aragon, you will most assuredly like Ryan Schlutz's work.

I hope that helped a bit.

Best,
Vlad
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Hey my friend!

I have been here, but silent for the most part. I have doing a great deal of "revamping" of my act. I had Dick Oslund over to the house for a weekend, and we spent 17 hours one day going over my show, etc. What a marathon! LOL. But what a valuable use of a weekend!

I would welcome your return to the States. I will actually be in NE Ohio in a couple of weeks, making my first profession of vows in The Holy Family Institute...a Secular Institute of Consecrated Life.

Just be warned...if you move back and we "magish", you WILL be required to reveal your real name! Smile

By the way...I JUST bought the set of Rice books from a seller on the Café...FINALLY!

Quote:
On 2013-09-03 17:02, Vlad_77 wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-03 12:33, Mike Maturen wrote:

Hey Mike!

Haven't seen you around the forums brother! How are things? Hope you're well man! Oh, I should warn you that there may be a chance I am moving back to NW Ohio, so, we have to get together and magish!

I am really gratified that Big Blind Media posted that quick review; I had no idea. But really, it was such a joy to just let everyone know what a great DVD this is. I'm tellin' ya man, Ryan's magic is off the charts and this product just blew me away. I guarantee you won't regret getting it. If you're NOT fooled by at least five of the routines, I'll refund your money; it's THAT good. We Orthodox are not allowed to vow in God's name, but I am telling the truth that I really did try to suss the method for Knocked Subconscious. The other effects are dynamite too, but, this routine is an immediate "goes in the repertoire" piece.

Keep in touch please? Even though I'm Orthodox, I am still half Sicilian, half Irish and I'll find you Smile

Best,
Vlad
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8737 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Vlad, GREAT review. Thanks for taking the time!

Zombie
greig ewen
View Profile
Elite user
473 Posts

Profile of greig ewen
Watched this guys Penguin lecture, very impressed. My kind of magic.
Will pick up a copy soon. Love his magnetised cards and his rubber band stuff.

Greig
jbadman
View Profile
Special user
London
930 Posts

Profile of jbadman
I agree. This DVD is absolutely fantastic. Some great thinking, wonderful effects and to top it all, everything is extremely easy to do.

Can't recommend it highly enough.
http://www.underground-collective.com - check out our new DVD now!
hbenod
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of hbenod
I must chime in an report that this DVD is wonderful!. The principles in these presentations sometimes are applications of old methods not widely used nowadays; but very refreshing!. I think that “Degree of Board-Dom” is a coup!. It can be done impromptu from a shuffled deck in use -FASDIU and it “kicks like a mule”. I like that this and other effects did not require complicated set ups and could be done FASDIU. The impression it leaves on the lay public is that of very strong magic!. I have been doing a Close-up presentation which includes “Open Perception” from Raj Madhok, MD-Mini from Craig Filicetti with my own presentation and patter and close with “Degree of Boredom” from Ray Schlutz. I must say that these are the best responses I have received in my “magic career”of 37 years - I am not a professional magician. The spectators are TOTALLY FRIED!!.

The best thing is that the spectators can handle the cards and props and the magic happens in their hands as these effects can be presented impromptu. I will wholeheartedly recommend this DVD for anybody wishing to perform powerful card magic on their audiences.

I would also like to endorse wholeheartedly other DVDs from Big Blind Media, namely the two discs from Ultimate Self Working Card Tricks. Ryan has a couple of effects in the second volume that is worth taking a serious look. (The principle of the embossed card is well handled by Ryan).

All in all I gave these DVDs my highest recommendation!. I have a very large library of DVDs and VHS tapes and I must say that I have not had as much fun looking through the effects and performing these as I have had with the once I mentioned above.

Performing these effects is fun!

Thanks,

hbenod
RSchlutz
View Profile
V.I.P.
499 Posts

Profile of RSchlutz
Hbenod-

Man to be in your set with Raj's open prediction and Mini MD is high praise! Those are fantastic effects.

I set out to create a impromptu version of shuffle bored. Loved the original so much I used to close my parlor show with it but I had a entire deck set up I had to switched in. Now I can do the routine I love so much anytime and with any deck.

Really appreciate the review hbenod.

Ryan
Rampage
View Profile
New user
Florida
62 Posts

Profile of Rampage
Just got this DVD and must say... I love it!!! It's amazingly deceptive and super easy to perform all of these miracles. So far my favorite is Four Shadowed, this has gone right into my repertoire.

Great Job Ryan.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Review: Miracles Without Moves by Ryan Schlutz (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL