The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Early Days (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lostpoet
View Profile
Special user
610 Posts

Profile of lostpoet
When you started out doing Large Stage Illusions where did you perform (paid performances)?
Smile
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Added one to my school shows.

If you are new to the big stuff, it doesn't hurt to make the effort and add one to a regular show; you can treat it as a special item. And, if it is for a regular client (i.e. as at Christmas), they will be thrilled (hopefully if performed o.k.). Good opportunity to get videos, photos, and the bugs (if any left after all your rehearsals) out.

Blair Marshall
"shaZzam!"
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
When I was a kid (about 50 years ago) I performed at Catholic Church halls in New York for teenaged dances - then along with my disc Jockey work in High School 1956-1959. Pay was OK and beat the $.60 an hour minimum wage.

More recently -- finding charity events that are willing to pay the COSTS of larger work moving-set up -- etc. for an event, and making the rest as a donation has been ok for new stuff.

Having a restaurant of facility with a small stage you can use to cross promote regular or semi-regular performances while they pay you a split of the gate -- or just a SMALL retainer and ALL promotion costs (must bear your name, appear thus and so) may take negotiation and work -- but it pays off!

Smile
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
There is a difference in stage shows and large illusion shows. Stage shows, I started by moving from trade shows, nightclub shows and major party shows to school, banquet, fairs, festivals and special event shows. Larger illusion shows came from modifying my fair, festival, special events, and shopping mall shows. For some strange reason, once I got a large number of mall shows under my belt, hotels and convention centers started booking me.

The trade show business remained steady. But for corporate magic I have unusual credentials since as a university professor, my fields are Marketing, Management, and Finance. Smart business managers understood the advantage of getting entertainment that could also gather meaningful marketing intelligence at the same event.

I am also a very strong believer in doing a lot of volunteer work playing for real charities. They get the same show for free as others pay for. It really generates good paid shows. Top community volunteers for charity take strong interests in their favorite charities and their businesses. They are constantly looking for good ideas and contacts. Supporting charities (especially theirs) is a great recommendation and an audition before a live audience. The top management refers you down to the functional level that hires the show. There is a lot of clout with a note from the CEO even if it only says “Handle”.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » The Early Days (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL