The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Professional Breakaway Fan (5 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Jolly Roger
View Profile
V.I.P.
Sedona, Arizona
1655 Posts

Profile of Jolly Roger
These are terrific from my friend Tommy James:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gICpkrEx-Ac

JR
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
In my opinion, there is only one breakaway fan in the industry and that's the Owen Magic Breakaway Fan. Last time I checked, it was selling for about $250, but it's the Rolls Royce of Breaking Fans, it's virtually indestructible and will last your entire lifetime. Just having the prop in your hand gives you an overwhelming feeling of security and greatness. I'm not joking about that.

IMO, everything else is a mere imitation.

Is it expensive? Absolutely! To me, though, you can't put a price on great props that NEVER fail.

Gerry
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8360 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
My FIRST order to a dealer (Abbott's) was for a BRAKAWA FAN (#1.75--"We Pay The Postage"). That was April 1945. The ribs were BRASS! (I don't know how Percy was able to get BRASS in war time!!! I used it for years, and finally had to have new "silk" put on it. Then, more years of use!

When I "discovered" the ED MILLER FAN at Magic Inc., about 1969, I bought several. Silk RIBBON (with finished edges) was no longer available, but Ed had found good material.

I'm still using the first Miller. (The others are in my 'back up' case) "# 1" is still in the prop case. It must have been seen by about 8,000 audiences. (I only use the fan for Jr. and Sr. High Schools.) Ed Miller has long ago left us for the big magic show, so his fans and props are no longer available.

I get a little laugh before it breaks! Then 3 laughs, followed by a BIG LAUGH, then applause, followed by another laugh. On two occasions in Senior Highs, the fan got a STANDING OVATION.

The India made fan with aluminum ribs "clamped" around the fabric, is junk. I tried one. It didn't last half a season.

I haven't seen the OWEN model, "They" do make fine props. However, I'm not a collector!

The Tommy James model looks great. No price was mentioned in the promo clip.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 07:06, Dick Oslund wrote:

I do not manufacture these fans but when I saw one and held it in my hands, I fell in love with it. I had to have these on my web site. I will only offer products on my web site that I truly believe in and the video doesn't even do it justice. They sell for $35 which I feel is worth every penny.
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Quote:

I get a little laugh before it breaks! Then 3 laughs, followed by a BIG LAUGH, then applause, followed by another laugh. On two occasions in Senior Highs, the fan got a STANDING OVATION.

Dick, Maybe you would be kind enough to share your handling with us? Getting a 'Standing O' from teenagers using a breakaway fan is quite an achievement.
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
I know from first-hand experience that Tommy sells very good quality stuff on his site. I've been very happy with everything I acquired through him.

This seems like a very nice looking fan he's selling. I would be interested in knowing what it's made out of, but at $35, it's really not worth stressing over regardless! I'm sure the Owen fan is great and may be the Rolls Royce of fans, but I personally would be too scared to drive a Rolls Royce to work every day! For the same price, you could buy 7 of Tommy's fans, which ensures peace of mind that you will always have at least one very nice prop on hand long after the Owen fan gets lost, stolen or mishandled by a volunteer.

Of course if you have money to blow, than go for it! But next time you find your wallet empty, just remember that some products also come with a break-away savings account. Smile

- Gary
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7514 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I bought one of these fans at KIDabra (for about the same price Tommy is offering them for). I suspect that's where Tommy discovered them, too.

I liked the rainbow look to it. It is a little unusual in that the ribs are a silver coloured plastic. I've owned breakaway fans with wood ribs, and with aluminum ribs (very fragile), over the years.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
gmsmagic1
View Profile
Elite user
405 Posts

Profile of gmsmagic1
Dick, I would also love to know your secret for getting a standing ovation out of this simple novelty prop. That's quite impressive, unless of course you came to the show with a lot of "fans" !! ... I think I just heard a rim-shot in the background!! Smile

- Gary
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7576 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
When Dick gets his book done, you will get some of the most practical, workable advice from a guy who made a living doing this...not just pipe dreams or to supplement a retirement income coming in every month.
I just wish Frances Marshall was still around to help with the writing. She was such a beautiful and clear writer.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
6584 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 08:40, TommyJ wrote:
Quote:

I do not manufacture these fans but when I saw one and held it in my hands, I fell in love with it. I had to have these on my web site. I will only offer products on my web site that I truly believe in and the video doesn't even do it justice. They sell for $35 which I feel is worth every penny.

I have to agree. I have recently made more than a few purchases from Tommy James and have been overly satisfied with what I have received. Thanks for the heads up on the Break Away Fan- I will have to check this out!

RNK
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I could never see myself spending almost $300 on something like this. I do like having nice versions of props, I spend $35 on a Mingus Blooming Flower a few years ago and love it. I don't currently use a breakaway fan, but this one looks like the one I'd get.

I'd love to get a nice, larger version of the breakaway wand... hint hint.. wink wink...
-Matt
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
Dick's writing, in my experience, is very clear and down-to-earth. I for one cannot wait for his book to appear on my bookshelf!
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
Quentin
View Profile
Inner circle
1017 Posts

Profile of Quentin
Delighted to hear Dick is writing a book. If he writes as fast as he speaks it should be ready soon Smile

When we met, 33 years ago at Abbott's, Dick gave me some excellent professional advice: "GUAN." I'm sure he will explain it in the book.
Gerry Walkowski
View Profile
Inner circle
1448 Posts

Profile of Gerry Walkowski
Gary,

To each his own.

Hey I'm sure the Tommy James breaking fan is great as he only sells top-notch products.

I was just trying to inform readers that there is a Cadillac version of this product on the marketplace. Once you try it, there's no going back.

Some folks, like me, don't mind spending the extra money for superior products.

That said, I'm sure there are some readers here that would also opt for the lowest price when purchasing a bullet-proof vest. Smile

Enjoy,

Gerry
TommyJ
View Profile
Inner circle
Foxboro, MA
1750 Posts

Profile of TommyJ
Quote:
On 2013-09-05 04:28, Gerry Walkowski wrote:
Gary,

To each his own.

Hey I'm sure the Tommy James breaking fan is great as he only sells top-notch products.

I was just trying to inform readers that there is a Cadillac version of this product on the marketplace. Once you try it, there's no going back.

Some folks, like me, don't mind spending the extra money for superior products.

That said, I'm sure there are some readers here that would also opt for the lowest price when purchasing a bullet-proof vest. Smile

Enjoy,

Gerry

I myself, would be one of those people who would spend the dough on a prop if it was something that was top notch and that I could use for the rest of my life in my shows.

Thanks for the kids words above guys Smile
"Keep the Kids Laughing!"
https://www.tommyjamesmagic.com/store
Dick Oslund
View Profile
Inner circle
8360 Posts

Profile of Dick Oslund
Over the years, there have been a few audiences where a BULLET PROOF VEST would have been nice to have on! For example, I can recall a knife fight between two boys in the audience. Of course, that was an extreme example. Most high school groups were fine and many were exceptionally fine.
SNEAKY, UNDERHANDED, DEVIOUS,& SURREPTITIOUS ITINERANT MOUNTEBANK
T.House
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of T.House
I still use the Town House (Bev Taylor) breakaway fan that I bought from Don Lawton around 1965. I introduce it by saying that I brought along "one of my oldest and dearest fans".
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1884 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
When I was up to visit Dick a couple of months ago, he showed me a "sneak preview" of what he was writing in his book.

As Richard Hughes says in his post above "you will get some of the most practical, workable advice from a guy who made a living doing this...not just pipe dreams or to supplement a retirement income coming in every month."

Richard, that's an understatement!!!

Dick Oslund, as a friend and mentor, has taught me more about performing magic and making money at it than any magician I have ever known....

Dick is a TREASURE HOUSE OF PRACTICAL GO-TO MAGIC PERFORMANCE EXPERTISE.

I predict that his new book will be a Magical Best_Seller!!!
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7514 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I mentioned buying the breakaway fan in a post from September 2013 (above).

At my birthday show today, my new rainbow breakaway fan broke... literally (not just magically). I've only used it a few times in shows, since I bought it from Danny Orleans at KIDabra 2013. The ribs are held together with a bolt and nut, but I didn't realize that the nut could get loose (I assumed it was glued). Actually, I didn't realize it was a bolt and nut holding it together... I hadn't looked closely and assumed it was some sort of rivet, like on a different model that I have.

I did the breakaway gag a few times, and then as the child was holding it, and playing with it a bit, it fell into pieces in her hands, and then those pieces fell onto the floor! I was shocked!! Now I have to figure out how to re-assemble the thing.

Just thought I'd mention this to others. You might want to glue the nut in place, so yours doesn't fall apart.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
Quote:
On Apr 12, 2014, Donald Dunphy wrote:
You might want to glue the nut in place, so yours doesn't fall apart.

I know this isn't the Workshop section, but I'd suggest using Loctite for this. I will often use this just as a precaution when I buy props. Loctite Green 290 has a wicking action that does not require disassembly to use. Use Loctite Red if you want a more permanent seal. Use Loctite Blue if you plan on taking the item apart to service or clean at some point. Loctite Green "Retaining Compound" is *** near welded, so be careful if you may need to disassemble. Read the labels.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Professional Breakaway Fan (5 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL