The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SMACK! by Francis Menotti (15 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
I performed the 'SMACK" version in the trailer and as expected, people love that sort of thing.

But, I prefer the "Back In Time" routine. They don't scream like a bee landed on them, but it messes with their minds. It's fun to see the deer caught in the headlights" look.

"Back In Time" also happens to be very easy to do.
Magicsquared
View Profile
Inner circle
1262 Posts

Profile of Magicsquared
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 15:45, RNK wrote:
I'm trying to do my homework IAIN and am finding, Treachery of Tricks, Dissolve Deck, and PRISN by FM. Have not seen anywhere where SMACK has been sold?

Here's someone talking about using his effect 10 years ago. It's likely he sold them in his lectures.

http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=20679

Now drop it?
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
From FM's FB announcement - "A trick I created for myself 15 years ago and only made and sold in small quantities on my own is finally mass distributed by Penguin Magic. If you've already seen it, there are new handlings and something extra we did to the gimmick to make it even better."
I've asked to be banned
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 15:50, Magicsquared wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 15:45, RNK wrote:
I'm trying to do my homework IAIN and am finding, Treachery of Tricks, Dissolve Deck, and PRISN by FM. Have not seen anywhere where SMACK has been sold?

Here's someone talking about using his effect 10 years ago. It's likely he sold them in his lectures.

http://forums.geniimagazine.com/viewtopic.php?t=20679

Now drop it?

No problem. Just funny IAIN compared FM to John Riggs and as we know Riggs sells his items on his website. So IAIN's comparison was inaccurate since FM does not sell this on his website.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 14:42, IAIN wrote:
Not everything revolves around major online stores!... people do sell stuff during lectures, through word of mouth and between other magicians who also do the same...by using your logic, john riggs stuff doesn't exist...

hate to quote myself here, but if you'd taken the time to actually read what I said, rather than what you THINK I said - you wouldn't have create such a fuss...
I've asked to be banned
RNK
View Profile
Inner circle
7527 Posts

Profile of RNK
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 16:10, IAIN wrote:
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 14:42, IAIN wrote:
Not everything revolves around major online stores!... people do sell stuff during lectures, through word of mouth and between other magicians who also do the same...by using your logic, john riggs stuff doesn't exist...

hate to quote myself here, but if you'd taken the time to actually read what I said, rather than what you THINK I said - you wouldn't have create such a fuss...

No fuss- my logic compared to FM and John Riggs was accurate. FM does not sell products as John Riggs does on his website. Since really what you meant was that FM sold SMACK at his lectures maybe you should have been a little more specific. Selling at lectures and selling from a website are two totally different balls of wax. Sorry about the misinterpretation. But I was basing my statement on your whole post not just part of it.

RNK
Check out Bafflingbob.com
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
But no one said that they did, except you... you stated that because FMs SMACK! wasn't available via penguin until now meant (in your opinion) that it couldn't have been sold in any other way...because unless its via a commercial routine (i.e. a dedicated major site like Penguin) it doesn't exist...

so I stated (quoted above) that if I followed your logic, then john riggs' work doesn't exist, cos he doesn't sell it via commercial major site like Penguin...

and I did say "people do sell stuff during lectures" - so your strange mix of pedantry and re-interpreting what I actually wrote isn't really doing you any favours...
I've asked to be banned
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Soooooooooooooo, after two pages of pretty much nonsense...can we get back on track please?

interesting gimmick
a few different presentations are given and explained/demo'd
I am quite tempted to make up a passport photo version of the gimmick
very well taught
I also like the comic book font that's used....
I've asked to be banned
TheGreatRaymondo
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
969 Posts

Profile of TheGreatRaymondo
Is this' available via any dealers in the UK?
I like it - a lot!
We are inclined to believe those whom we do not know because they have not yet deceived us...
Zombie Magic
View Profile
Inner circle
I went out for a beer and now have
8733 Posts

Profile of Zombie Magic
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 16:28, TheGreatRaymondo wrote:
I like it - a lot!

Penguin has their "PENGUIN FLAT-PACKâ„¢ World-wide free shipping" option. I use it here in the states when I just want the one item.

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3481
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Quote:
On 2013-09-04 16:28, TheGreatRaymondo wrote:
I like it - a lot!

got mine from magicshop.co.uk - ordered monday afternoon, arrived this morning..
I've asked to be banned
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Profile of Justin N. Miller
Decent was first published in my first lecture notes when I was 17 (I am 37 now)"something to do while waiting" it was called seriously. I sold those notes at my first magi-fest and I made 200 copies..I sold every single one. Mine does not use a gimmick, but it does use a small set up. I have not seen nor heard of FM's effect until today. These are not the things that bother me. Here is what bothers me.

When I worked for papercrane magic as a consultant for a short time, I was going to release a dvd with them of a collection of effects. We went out and shot 2 days worth in ohio, Decent was part of that set. I showed mandy and ian both the effect and they loved it! when I was "let go" I was not given that footage and they either still have it or they trashed it. Either way their eyes have seen it BEFORE FM came to P3 to film it with them. As far as crediting is concerned, we both should credit (and I do)Alex De'Cova for his Flash restoration because his preceded ours. I have no problem with FM selling his as they are diff. in method and they both can be side by side with each other. Me and FM have no problems with each other in any way so those who are not apart of this needs to keep to themselves their unfounded,dumb, and ignorant comments. This is NOT directed towards one single person but to all of magicdom.
JM
IAIN
View Profile
Eternal Order
england
18807 Posts

Profile of IAIN
Its a shame they didn't give you your material back... (and its also a shame that I cant buy Descent on its own right now - cos I would!)...

thanks for the info Justin...
I've asked to be banned
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-04 17:34, IAIN wrote:
Its a shame they didn't give you your material back... (and its also a shame that I cant buy Descent on its own right now - cos I would!)...

thanks for the info Justin...

Ian,
Thanks man! Yea I am trying to get it back as we speak. Just sent an email to acar. Hopefully they still have it. Decent will be sold by itself AFTER THE BOLD PROJECT is finished. But for now we have FM effect and method and it looks good!
JM
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
An Undying Heart of Chaos; Stabbed with
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Might as well just re-shoot it JM.

"El Gato" was less than a year old when I asked for the footage to it.
They told me if I wanted to give it to people, I would have to re-shoot it.

So I did.
And it was better. Smile

Your idea has probably grown since then too.
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
Back to SMACK!

I believe Francis showed this in his Penguin lecture, as well.

I'm not sure if he detailed the gimmick though.

I DO know in Indianapolis in 11' he did it, and was selling copies there.

I almost bought one. But I'm not into gimmicks for TNRs. (Just my personal choice though).

For a gimmicked one, I do like the sudden appearance. Smile

I have never seen Descent.

L
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-04 19:06, lokikross wrote:
Back to SMACK!

I believe Francis showed this in his Penguin lecture, as well.

I'm not sure if he detailed the gimmick though.

I DO know in Indianapolis in 11' he did it, and was selling copies there.

I almost bought one. But I'm not into gimmicks for TNRs. (Just my personal choice though).

For a gimmicked one, I do like the sudden appearance. Smile

I have never seen Descent.

L

Just pmd you the link.
JM
lokikross
View Profile
Special user
719 Posts

Profile of lokikross
I saw JM's version.

It is very visual.
Especially if it is non-gimmicked, and easy to get into.

I would not know the workings though.

I am familiar with Francis' gimmick, and it is clever.

But I think these are two different beasts, for sure.

Back to SMACK. lol. That is just funny today.
(And I guess the Decenter's should boost that thread, or make one. Not being negative at all. Smile Just saying they should both have their threads and their own discussions going.)

I wish I was more controversial Smile (JK)
L
papercrane
View Profile
Regular user
Columbus, OH
152 Posts

Profile of papercrane
IAIN, Justin N. Miller and lokikross - I sent you guys a PM
Justin N. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
2457 Posts

Quote:
On 2013-09-04 22:41, papercrane wrote:
IAIN, Justin N. Miller and lokikross - I sent you guys a PM

you as well.
JM
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » SMACK! by Francis Menotti (15 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL