The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Simon Caine - ACAAN - The Stained Glass Effect (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
dbf18
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of dbf18
Hi,

From the mind of Simon Caine

"A deck is borrowed from a spectator. The deck is shuffled by the spectator. They select a card and shuffle it back into the deck themselves. Nothing is forced, no card is mentioned out loud.

A second spectator is thinking of any number between 1 and 52, and the deck is further mixed. Nothing is forced, no number is mentioned out loud.

Only after both spectators are satisfied with the random state of the deck are the freely chosen card and number named out loud (only if they want! This information can stay unknown to the performer the whole time.)

The performer does not touch the deck, and invites the second spectator to count down through the deck to the number she is thinking of. The first spectator turns over the card at that number to reveal the card she is thinking of. This is The Stained Glass Effect

- Spectator Shuffled Deck
- Deck can be Borrowed or Incomplete
- Impromptu
- Almost Entirely Hands Off
- No Stacks, Gimmicks, Memorisation, Forces, Peeks or Indexes.
- Self Working

Any Card at Any Number or The Berglas Effect is one of the strongest, most elegant pieces of magic that can be performed for any audience. A holy grail effect, a spectators freely chosen card is found at a freely chosen number. Although there are undoubtedly strong and impossible versions of this effect available, each of them have their own trade-offs that I have never really been comfortable with. Either the deck needs to be stacked or memorised, meaning it can't be borrowed, there are other gimmicks that muddy the procedure, or it is overly handled by the performer, with switches and whatnot.

Stained Glass is different. It is simple, direct and very fair. It's the easiest ACAAN you will ever learn, and one of the fairest! 90% of the routine is done by the spectator, there is no way you could have done anything, and yet it produces one of the strongest moments of magic possible!"

You can see the description - http://www.simoncmagic.co.uk/p/stained-glass.html

First of all I'm Portuguese and I never meet Simon in my life so I just write what I think about that effect.

I just read The Stained Glass Effect and I'm really surprised. I love acaan effects and this one is really good.

This use an known principle but work fine for me.

- Spectator Shuffled Deck (True)
- Deck can be Borrowed or Incomplete (True)
- Impromptu (For me it's true)
- Almost Entirely Hands Off (True)
- No Stacks, Gimmicks, Memorisation, Forces, Peeks or Indexes. (True)
- Self Working (Just a little work to do)

"Only after both spectators are satisfied with the random state of the deck are the freely chosen card and number named out loud (only if they want! This information can stay unknown to the performer the whole time)"

I'm glad that it's true. We do not need to know which card or number was chosen.

I really like the effect and I will try out next weekend at a party...

Sorry my english.

Best Regards,

Didier Ferreira
Blindside785
View Profile
Inner circle
Olympia, WA
4224 Posts

Profile of Blindside785
This does get a bit sketchy because you only have 3 posts and it seems you may have just hopped on here to promote this product.

I could be wrong, but that's what it seems like.

How did you find out about this effect?
dbf18
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of dbf18
"How did you find out about this effect?"

Was to see new Instant Download in MagicShop - http://www.magicshop.co.uk/INSTANT_DOWNLOADS/c69/index.html

And found the ebook Castles from Simon Caine.

I wrote in google and nothing special came up. Only his website.

There I found the effect ACAAN.

I think the effect was just release in September 2013.
papawemba
View Profile
Special user
650 Posts

Profile of papawemba
It sound impossibly good !
I understand Blindside785 comments... I think we see these kind of thread or post too often.
His “Castle” ebook seem very good… (but can’t find any review)

Nicolas
Simon C
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Simon C
Figured I would weight in here, it being the first time any kind of discussion over any of my work has occured.

First off, Dbf, thanks a lot for the review. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Nicolas, such are the perils of being a new unknown name. There are no reviews of your product because no one picks it up, and no one picks it up because there are no reviews. As far as Stained Glass goes, I promise the product description is 100% accurate. It does not depend on anything mentioned above, and plays out exactly as described.

If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask!
Nicolino
View Profile
Inner circle
2845 Posts

Profile of Nicolino
Simon, to overcome this dilemma, why not send out review copies to some known members here?
The Mati Envelope
A brandnew peek device for the working mentalist!

Chance's Token
Tarot cards in a scenic piece of mystery.....
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
504 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
I will admit, the description sounds very clean and direct. I am definitely intrigued.

Didier, you mentioned you like ACAAN effects. What are some of your favorites and how would you compare Stained Glass to them? I just recently purchased Barrie Richardson's Impromptu CAAN and am really liking it. The scripting and motivations for it are so well done. So far it and The Grail Gold are two of my favorites but both are not ACAAN (not that I think it really matters to the spectator).

I'm looking to get The Crusade pretty soon but this also sounds great.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10627 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
How about a demo,,, one demo is worth a thousand words of BS
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
Simon C
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Simon C
Nicolino, I will certainly consider that for any further releases. Considering there's already a decent discussion happening already, seems moot now though. But I will send future things around.

Vinny, at this present moment I don't have measures to record a demo. Of course it would be a great idea, but personally, I prefer to preserve just a little bit of.. intrigue... Each to their own, but I assure you, not one of the 100 words of the description are BS.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
11611 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2013-09-05 01:18, Blindside785 wrote:
This does get a bit sketchy because you only have 3 posts and it seems you may have just hopped on here to promote this product.

I could be wrong, but that's what it seems like.

How did you find out about this effect?

4 posts
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
dbf18
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of dbf18
Quote:
On 2013-09-05 16:32, Robert P. wrote:
I will admit, the description sounds very clean and direct. I am definitely intrigued.

Didier, you mentioned you like ACAAN effects. What are some of your favorites and how would you compare Stained Glass to them? I just recently purchased Barrie Richardson's Impromptu CAAN and am really liking it. The scripting and motivations for it are so well done. So far it and The Grail Gold are two of my favorites but both are not ACAAN (not that I think it really matters to the spectator).

I'm looking to get The Crusade pretty soon but this also sounds great.

My two favorites are The Grail and Super easy CAAN by Cameron Francis.

But The Grail is gimmicked and it's not for every situation.

Super Easy CAAN it's pretty similar to ACAAN by Simon.

The big diference is The Stained Glass is really an ACAAN effect.

But like you said "not that I think it really matters to the spectator".

Anyway I really enjoy this solution and I will try very soon...
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
504 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Thanks, Didier! I have Cameron's "Headroom" PDF, and checked out Super Easy CAAN. I really like it, esp. how the card or number is not known by the performer til the very end! It's neat seeing how different creators come up with different methods to handle (A)CAAN plots. To me, it seems like Cameron's version is an ACAAN instead of a CAAN, but anyways...I'm no authority on the subject.

My one question about The Stained Glass Effect, does the spectator have to deal cards before the final revelation, as in Super Easy CAAN?
Simon C
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Simon C
Robert, personally I'm unfamiliar with Super Easy CAAN, so bear with me if I've got the wrong end of your question.

The final deal of the cards can be done by anyone, as long as they (obviously) know the number being thought of. So you could ask for the number and have a third spectator deal, do it yourself or,without knowing the number yourself let whoever has the number do it.

I hope this answers your question!
Simon C
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Simon C
Robert, if, on the other hand you were wondering if any extra cards are dealt, other than the numbered amount, no. The card is lost, the deck is mixed, and then the card is revealed at the given number.
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
504 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
Thanks, Simon. That last post answered my question. I just wanted to be very careful in not exposing anything, that is why it was not more specific. Just bought my copy.
Simon C
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Simon C
Robert, I hope you enjoy, and I look forward to hearing your what you think of it!

On a slightly different note - but not wanting to clog up the forum with a new thread - further to what Nicolino mentioned, would anyone be interested in receiving a review copy of my other product, Castles (8 card effects, a few sleights), please let me know / PM me your email address.
Robert P.
View Profile
Special user
Kansas
504 Posts

Profile of Robert P.
OK, after reading the effect yesterday, pondering it a bit and then going back to it today, here are my thoughts.

For those of your familiar with Cameron Francis' Super Easy CAAN, this is very similar. That being said, I prefer this version to Cameron's (and I think very highly of Cameron's).

Here is the description:
Quote:
The Stained Glass Effect
A deck is borrowed from a spectator. The deck is shuffled by the spectator. They select a card and commit it to memory. Nothing is forced, no card is mentioned out loud.

A second spectator is thinking of any number between 1 and 52, the card is replaced and the deck is further mixed. Nothing is forced, no number is mentioned out loud.

Only after both spectators are satisfied with the random state of the deck are the freely chosen card and number named out loud (only if they want! This information can stay unknown to the performer the whole time.)

The performer does not touch the deck, and invites the second spectator to count down through the deck to the number she is thinking of. The first spectator turns over the card at that number to reveal the card she is thinking of. This is The Stained Glass Effect.

I reposted it because it is changed just slightly from what was originally posted in the OP. (and that is what prompted some of my earlier questions above).

The description is pretty accurate. The performer does touch the deck...but as mentioned the whole effect is almost entirely hands off. If done correctly, the spectator won't remember you touching the deck. I was going to bring up a couple of other minor points in the description but I honestly don't think they are worth mentioning because they are essentially non-issues.

As for the bullet points (I also agree with Didier):

- Spectator Shuffled Deck (true)
- Deck can be Borrowed or Incomplete (true)
- Impromptu (true)
- Almost Entirely Hands Off (true)
- No Stacks, Gimmicks, Memorization, Forces, Peeks or Indexes. (true)
- Self Working (Some might say not entirely true, but I classify it so, the amount of work to be done is so little)

Now that I got the technical details out of the way, let me tell you what I think of it. To give you an idea of where I'm coming from, I generally don't like paying for one-trick pdfs because in my mind, if I spend a little more I can get a nice physical book with many effects. I'm just more 'frugal' that way. But this goes right up there with Barrie Richardson's Impromptu CAAN where I am really glad with my purchase.

The thing I love about The Stained Glass Effect is that the number or card does NOT have to be revealed until the final revelation. To me that is so strong, and why I like this and Super Easy CAAN so much. Simon has done a great job of structuring the routine to make it appear as hands off as possible. Because of this I think it can be played even stronger as a mentalism effect.

Simon also does a great of going into detail on the presentation and other ways to strengthen the routine. Let's be honest. There is no true holy grail when it comes to ACAAN, there is always a trade off here or there. What makes up for that is in the way the effect is structured, and having the proper motivations for doing what you do, when you do them. Those things are taken into account here. Not only in presentation, but various techniques for accomplishing what needs to be done are also explained, along with a nice job of crediting and citing sources. When it comes to ACAAN, these things matter just as much as the method itself.

Since this is similar to Super Easy CAAN, if you already have it you may be asking if it is worth the purchase? Maybe, but it depends on the person. I think there are enough subtleties and nuances that make it worth it for me. The 'secret' is very similar, but I appreciate the methods in this one and also Simon's reasoning for how the spectator selects his number.

All in all, I really like it, and will be using this (with a couple of things from Cameron's version mixed in) or Barrie Richardson's Impromptu CAAN depending on the situation. I've yet to get The Crusade, and I'm definitely looking forward to it. But for not knowing anything about Simon Caine, I'm glad that I took a chance with The Stained Glass Effect.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
Simon C
View Profile
New user
56 Posts

Profile of Simon C
Robert,

Thank you so much for your thoughts! To be mentioned in the same breath of Cameron Francis, of whom I am a great fan, is one of best compliments I think my work could receive (That being said, I haven't actually read Super Easy CAAN, will have to look it up now!)

I think the strength of any ACAAN lies in the subtleties and little convincers, and I spent a lot of time working on a method that flows logically from each phase, and more important, looks and feels 100% fair in the eyes of the spectators, so I'm very glad you picked those points up.

I am beyond pleased with your reaction! Let me know what response you get from audiences!
magicthree
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of magicthree
I did get this and will get back to you with a review in the next couple of days after I have a chance to work with it.
magicthree
View Profile
Elite user
467 Posts

Profile of magicthree
Here is my take on this. Very Strong point- As Robert P. stated in his post above when the deck is on the table at the end the magician doesn't know the card or number that the spectators have chosen. The weak point is that the last(right before it is counted) touching of the deck is done by you BUT you can give a good reason for doing so by recapping the effect back to the spectators . After all the number or card is not known to you and nothing has happened yet.

This can be a real fooler if presented well. I do like it. Out of 10 I probably would give it an 8.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Simon Caine - ACAAN - The Stained Glass Effect (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL