We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Diana Nyad swims to Florida from Cuba without Cage (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-09-09 18:16, mastermindreader wrote:

Amazing. They seem to be trying to discredit her achievement because they don't like the politics of her swimming from Cuba. Pretty pathetic.

I'm not sure it is only the radicals in the Cuban exile community doing this, but clearly some are. The blog I mentioned previously is doing its best to stir the controversy.

http://babalublog.com/2013/09/09/diana-n......g-viral/

In any case, I think the doubters are getting more than their fair share of press coverage. It is up to Nyad and her team to release the data once it is all gathered and documented officially etc. (as they always said they would do within a couple of weeks).
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
Quote:
They seem to be trying to discredit her achievement because they don't like the politics of her swimming from Cuba. Pretty pathetic.

No, I don't think that has anything to do with it. The questions are coming from other of marathon swimmers themselves because the swim was somewhat poorly documented, and didn't employ an independent observer as is required for some other swims to be considered offical. They chose not to take the steps that are required to get something like an English Channel swim, for example, offically recognized. So she and her crew have now left themselves open to skepticism. I don't think the ultra swimmers could care any less about the Cuba thing. That stuff comes mostly from Cuban Americans and Cuban refugees.

The questions are coming from her peers in the marathon swimming community some of which may want to attempt the swim themselves one day. I wonder now if the whole thing will always be under a cloud of suspicion. That would be unfortunate.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Quote:
On 2013-09-09 19:00, Marlin1894 wrote:
Quote:
They seem to be trying to discredit her achievement because they don't like the politics of her swimming from Cuba. Pretty pathetic.

No, I don't think that has anything to do with it. The questions are coming from other of marathon swimmers themselves because the swim was somewhat poorly documented, and didn't employ an independent observer as is required for some other swims to be considered offical. They chose not to take the steps that are required to get something like an English Channel swim, for example, offically recognized.

Various things you just said are not quite true. Read the links I posted.

Also, it seems at least some of the people questioning or looking closer at her swim are only doing so because they are receiving emails from people asking if it was a hoax. See the USA Today article I posted. Who knows who the people emailing are. Considering the posts at the Cuban exile blog I directed you to, I would guess that more than a few exiles are doing some of this emailing.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Marlin1894
View Profile
Special user
565 Posts

Profile of Marlin1894
What did I say that wasn't true? Yes, some people are responding to questions and some others seem to be asking questions of their own accord. Some are just throwing theories around. Yeah, there are probably a some exiles trying to discredit it, but if any legitimate doubt winds up being cast over the swim it's going to have to come from people who have actual knowledge of long distance swimming, ocean currents, etc. Regardless of whatever documentation her crew eventually release, someone is always going to come back and say A)the entire swim was not videotaped, and B) there was no independent observer along now. If it comes from someone who has no credentials in the area I don't think much attention will be paid.

I can see why someone who has a vested interest in marathon swimming would want to know it was a clean swim. Personally, I don't care much one way or the other. Nowadays, with all the cheating in sports, and life in general, I don't think I'd be any more surprsied to hear she cheated than I was to hear a 64 year old woman swam from Cuba to Florida.
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Diana Nyad swims to Florida from Cuba without Cage (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL