The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » What question do you ask? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
237 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
You need eye contact for that split second so you can do a pass (or other sleight). What question do you ask to get them to look at you? Right now all I ask is, "Do you remember the card?" Yes, I know it's pretty lame but that's why I'm posting this message.

Jake
S.A.M Assembly 170, Colorado Springs
170sam.org
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
What is it you find lame about that question?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
237 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
It's slightly insulting to the audience.
170sam.org
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Good for you! The idea behind the question is to get their MIND off your hands for a moment. Asking them to visualize the card is a good strategy. One way to prompt them to "go inside and visualize" is to ask IF they remember. There are other ways to prompt the desired internal process.

"It's important for what happens next that we be able to recognize that card again IF we happen to see it. Like a person at a party, it's going to mingle for a while. Do you remember the name of everyone in the room? Pause. PASS. It's a good thing we all know the names of the cards and have just one to remember."

Hope this helps
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2003-12-14 13:41, carolinahusker wrote:
It's slightly insulting to the audience.

If you think it is insulting to the audience, wait until one of them has forgotten his or her card. Then you won't think so.

You can rephrase the question like this:

"You do remember your card, don't you? <P> Good. I want you to visualize it. <P> Make a really vivid picture of it in your mind." <P>

At any of the points in the script marked <P> you can do a pass.

Or you could ask something totally off the wall:

"How 'bout them Rangers?"
"Neat how they finally got Saddam Hussein, isn't it?"
Or the ADHD classic, "Hey, you want to go ride bikes?"
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
K-Max
View Profile
New user
Oklahoma City
49 Posts

Profile of K-Max
When was the last time you saw a frog? See, made you think for a minute. It would probably be good to have some logical (patter) reason for asking that question though.

You might also try my all time reliable standby, "Gaze into my eyes..."
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
237 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
I think I will ask, "Will you please close your eyes so I can do some sleight of hand?"
170sam.org
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi carolinahusker:

Here's a line you can use from Kenton Knepper's Wonder Words series. Ask, "Is there any particular reason why you selected that particular card?" Or something else along those lines.

Or something like, "Now that you know the value of the card, I want you to send that thought to me."

These are real simple things that advance the routine along; I really don't think people will take it as an insult if you ask them if they remember it. But you're right, there are other questions you can ask that keep things going better.

It's the little details that make a difference. Hope this helps you.

Ron
rcad
View Profile
Loyal user
St-Eustache
211 Posts

Profile of rcad
Quote:
On 2003-12-14 18:14, Bill Palmer wrote:
You can rephrase the question like this:

"You do remember your card, don't you? <P> Good. I want you to visualize it. <P> Make a really vivid picture of it in your mind." <P>

At any of the points in the script marked <P> you can do a pass.

I'm not clear on something. Does this apply when you are performing in front of an audience or just for the person who picked the card? I know that the audience's focus should be on the volunteer as he answers but being a beginner and not having a lot of experience, I think I would be very nervous to only use a question as a misdirection...

Could you please clarify?

Richard
"The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious." Albert Einstein
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Would you recognize that card if you saw it again? Did it have any distinguishing marks? Sorry, been watching too much CSI.
matthewjohnson
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
239 Posts

Profile of matthewjohnson
You should always do your move on the offbeat. After the card is returned to the deck let's presume you are going to do a half pass. First of all, don't worry about doing the move. If you worry they will see it because you are drawing attention to it. They don't know a move is coming, it's not like they sit there thinking, "Here comes the half pass!"

Once the card is returned, engage the audience. Don't just engage them long enough to cover the move though, you need to talk to them for a longer period of time than just the move or you are still putting big neon arrows around your hands.

Just to answer your question with a specific response, here is a little bit of patter that I use in such an occasion.

"OK you chose a card and returned it to the deck, make sure you remember the card. I did this trick in a bar last night and they forgot the card...The trick sucked!"

At the end of the day it is all about timing, just relax and wait for the right time, you don't have to rush!
Smile
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
237 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
I just thought of a nice question if the person selects a face card. Say for instance the person selects a 10 of clubs. You can ask:

"I don't suppose you were born on the tenth of the month were you? No? Maybe at Ten O'Clock? No? Hmm. I wonder why you selected that card? Oh well. Just remember it please."

Jake
170sam.org
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

How did you know they took the ten of clubs?
Jake Austin
View Profile
Loyal user
Colorado Springs
237 Posts

Profile of Jake Austin
Good point! This line of patter would of course only work if you were performing a trick where it didn't matter if the audience knew that you knew the identity of the card. An ambitious card routine, for example.

Jake
170sam.org
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3619 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
"Why are you looking at my hands? Is it my breath?"

"You know that if you forget the card we'll both look a bit silly when this is over? Me more than you... but still..."

"What's that aftershave you're wearing?"

"If the card were to vanish from the pack and end up in my pocket would that be a good trick?"

"How about them Mariners?"

Ideally the question you ask should have something to do with what's going on. Then it will seem less like misdirection and more like an honest question.
Peter Marucci
View Profile
Inner circle
5389 Posts

Profile of Peter Marucci
Or you could scream (and I mean SCREAM) something like: "My God! Giant vampire squirrels are right behind you!"

LOL!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

"Would you notice if I did anything clever with the cards?"

"Okay then how about you hold the cards and shuffle the deck"
DanHarlan
View Profile
V.I.P.
998 Posts

Profile of DanHarlan
"May I ask what you do for a living?" -- then, tie it in.

"Have you ever misplaced your car keys? How about your car?" -- tie it in.

"Did you ever have to look for a lost dog?" -- yada yada

"What is the name of your favorite celebrity?"

"Can you think of a magic word?"

"So, how did the two of you meet?"

"Have we met before?"

"What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?"

"Did you pick the joker?"

"What time is it?"

"What if there were no hypothetical questions?"

"That's a nice shirt. What material is that?"

"If you were ordering lunch, what kind of sandwich might you choose?"

"What's your best friend's name?"

"Do you happen to know your astrological sign?"

"Have you heard of the "Chaos Theory?"

"Do you believe in ghosts?"

"How good is your memory?"

"Can you remember when you were younger, did you ever play 'Hide & Seek?'"
Visit My Site @

www.themystictower.com
Mike Walton
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
984 Posts

Profile of Mike Walton
Don't limit your misdirection to only words, which do work as well. Peter Cassford recommended after securing your break to hold the deck in your left hand (if that's the hand you use for your mechanic's grip) and to then separate your hands. You can let your right hand drop, spread your hands in conversation, etc. It comes across as very natural.

I've noticed that when this happens, the spectator brings his/her eyes up automatically. At that point, I'll ask a question or continue with the effect, bring the hands back together and do the pass. The hand separation takes a little more heat off of your hands and gives you a little more time. It seems to reduce their suspicions more than only asking a question.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The words we use » » What question do you ask? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL